General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Maxus Blast Cabinet

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM
1970 Cutlass Convertible

Maxus Blast Cabinet

After seeing Allan R's MAW thread in Major Builds & Projects, I think a table top sandblasting cabinet would suit all my needs. I've searched around the net and found the Maxus Blast Cabinet at Home Depot, it looks pretty good - all steel and has a 5 year limited warranty. Anyone have any experience with this type of sandblasting cabinet?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/maxus-b...l#.UGI1zlG16H-

Last edited by red130; September 25th, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fixed the link...
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

red130

That cabinet is exactly the same as the one I got from Princess Auto - just a different color and marketed under a different name. Currently PA has that unit on sale for 124.99. It is also worth getting the cabinet light and 12V power supply. Otherwise it's a bugger to see in the cabinet. The light and PS run about 15.00 but are sold separately. Go figure huh?

Word to the wise: this unit does not have a filter for the media. Make a filter out of some coarse mesh (just big enough to let media but not crud through) and put it around the inlet of the media tube. That will save having to flush the gun feed with compressed air when it plugs.

Also, more importantly make sure you have a big compressor. I'm going to sell the 20 gallon one I just bought to my neighbor and I'm looking at a 60 gallon. These media blasters need sustained 125 PSI at 5-15CFM. Trust me, if you have a small compressor you will hate the sandblast cabinet, or the compressor, or both. I spent the better part of 3 hours today blasting rear backing plates. When the compressor gets below 80PSI its time to stop and let it build up, or you won't ever get anything done.

One last thing. Install a good water trap about 15 feet from the compressor to filter water that could otherwise jam your gun. A good filter is only about 20 bucks. Short air hoses are a good thing. Having a long 50 foot one on the floor just gets in the way. Short 15' hoses only cost around 9.00 each. Make sure you have enough 1/4" NPT connectors and couplers to hook everything up.

Good luck with your buying decision and sandblasting projects!
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
1970 Cutlass Convertible

We're covered with an Ingersoll Rand air compressor, it has 150psi on tap so I'll be buying a regulator too. I'm curious what did you use for a media filter? Thanks alot for replying and all the tips. I feel alot better about buying this now.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
wait.... what....

I added one of these air dryers, and it works awesome! http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8055757/
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by red130
We're covered with an Ingersoll Rand air compressor, it has 150psi on tap so I'll be buying a regulator too. I'm curious what did you use for a media filter? Thanks alot for replying and all the tips. I feel alot better about buying this now.
The bench model doesn't come with a media filter. I haven't installed one yet because I simply haven't had time to get some screening. I'll pick something up at Rona or HD and make a small cage around the media inlet tube.

Originally Posted by oldzzy
I added one of these air dryers, and it works awesome! http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8055757/
Shane, that looks like a wall unit. I opted for a smaller in line unit for 25.00
Looks like this
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:29 PM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by Allan R
Shane, that looks like a wall unit. I opted for a smaller in line unit for 25.00
Looks like this
Yeah Allan i have one of those as well. When i was using the actual sandblaster on the body outside, water was my enemy! I found that the wall mounted one worked awesome. I was having lots of moisture problems with it being very humid outside.
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah Allan i have one of those as well. When i was using the actual sandblaster on the body outside, water was my enemy! I found that the wall mounted one worked awesome. I was having lots of moisture problems with it being very humid outside.
Know what you mean. It was dry here, but the compressor in the garage is in a cool spot. So moisture forms in the lines pretty fast with all the work it's doing. I got almost half the trap filled with water today. Better to be there than in the media gun. Sometimes you just have to spend money to save yourself and equipment a headache.
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:37 AM

Exclamation

The ONLY place to get blast cabinets is TP Tools in Ohio.

USA made, and great customer service.

Stop buying chineseum crap!
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by My442

For $229 TP Tools sells a Do-it-yourself cabinet that's a stand up and looks to be large enough to blast a rim in. It looks like you build the cabinet out of wood, they supply everything else.

The disadvantage of the bench top units is they are tiny

http://www.tptools.com/p/336,142_Bui...ed-System.html

Thanks for the tip Paul
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM
1970 Cutlass Convertible

The cabinet allyolds68 posted looks pretty good and I wouldn’t be totally against spending a little more if I were comfortable/confident in what I was buying. Have you or someone you know used TP Tools Equipment’s blast cabinets? One plus is it ships for free.

Edit: I thought this one below was the one Allyolds68 posted. That's what I get for going to kitchen and coming back to the PC.

I would be interested in something like this if I go the TP Tools route.

http://www.tptools.com/p/432,358_780...avex#aReadMore

Last edited by red130; September 26th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
For $229 TP Tools sells a Do-it-yourself cabinet that's a stand up and looks to be large enough to blast a rim in. It looks like you build the cabinet out of wood, they supply everything else.

The disadvantage of the bench top units is they are tiny
Interesting. Most of the larger floor models I've seen are steel that require assembly too and there's no fuss with buying plywood or cutting it just right yada yada yada. I'd rather have one stop shopping and the pre-fabbed steel with everything included instead of having to buy 'optional' parts. Far as bench models being tiny? Yes they can be. But they still handle good size parts like water pumps and wheels. You buy what you need for 90% of your jobs and farm the rest out.

The unit I bought is plug and play. Just add media. Unpack to use time was very quick.
The ONLY place to get blast cabinets is TP Tools in Ohio. USA made, and great customer service. Stop buying chineseum crap!
I salute you guys who can support the domestic US economy. BUT, don't rag on others who can't though because the market is what it is. Lobby the manufacturers to change their production strategies and see what they say. You'll find that most US and Canadian companies manufacture offshore because of higher cost domestic production logistics (mostly labor cost).

I buy brand names when possible and I buy local what my budget allows. This also supports MY local community. This whole thing about not buying offshore products is exactly the same philosophy of boycotting a particular brand of gas on a particular day to make the giants hurt. It's a good theory, but doesn't work. Where do you think most of the US crude oil comes from? NOT the USA. So by the same token, you'd only buy gasoline that was refined from local bitumen? Good luck with that.

Buyers aren't stupid, but they are largely motivated by price. The conversation about where to buy and who to buy from borders close to politics IMO so I'm outta here.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Where do you think most of the US crude oil comes from? NOT the USA. So by the same token, you'd only buy gasoline that was refined from local bitumen? Good luck with that.
I generally get gas at Kwik Fill. Kwik Fill is Canadian Crude Refined into Gasoline at a refinery in Warren County, PA. That's about as close as you'll get.

My442's point is if there is a domestic source for this product, at a competitive price, then why not buy it there.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM

For those in the lower 48 looking for a cabinet, I recommend ANYTHING but the HF units. They are flimsy, leak like a sieve, lighting is insufficient and the hoses, gun and couplers are crap. Other than that, they are fine......
As mentioned below, no matter which model you choose, a moisture filter is a MUST. Ask me now I Know................ doh!
I bought a new 60 gal. comp from Lowes and it works HARD to keep up with me. A 2 stage would be better, but of course, more pricey.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
NOVICE car nut

I'm liking that Maxus Pressure Feed Blaster unit if you could hook it up to an additional compressor for added power . Not sure if that would work or not . now that I look at it , it's kinda small .

Last edited by oldsguybry; September 26th, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
NOVICE car nut

How much are one of those units ? NVM I got my answer sorry

Last edited by oldsguybry; September 26th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
NOVICE car nut

That's what I need .
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
72 Olds CS

Tractor supply also carries a similar (to the OP) SB cabinet
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by allyolds68
My442's point is if there is a domestic source for this product, at a competitive price, then why not buy it there.
Ok, if you say so. I read it differently - with the CAPS suggesting otherwise and the directive to 'stop!'. You have a talent for interpretive soft speak Mike!
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM

I always buy USA made first, even if the price is higher.

A couple of reasons:

1. Most chineseum products are inferior in quality, workmanship, and reliability.

2. USA made products typically have better engineering and quality

3. Buying USA made product keeps jobs here

"If it lasts twice as long, it costs half as much"

And yes, buying TP Tools stuff is a directive, as I have both a TP blast cabinet and pressure blaster.

Top shelf stuff.
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I always buy USA made first, even if the price is higher.Like I said, I salute your efforts, patriotism and financial independence.

A couple of reasons:

1. Most chineseum products are inferior in quality, workmanship, and reliability.Even though they are designed, proofed and material specified by American Engineers and companies? Unless you get a bad batch of material, which could also happen domestically, it's the cheap labor factor that makes the profit margin. If you got a bad American made product, would you be inclined to say something about American quality control?

2. USA made products typically have better engineering and quality ^^^, Although I will agree there are some companies who do build a better mousetrap. And to their efforts, I again say congratulations. And in the next breath - GM is American as apple pie. Where do you think they source out many of their parts and assembly to? That's why they want to move GM to China - for the cheap labor market.

3. Buying USA made product keeps jobs here No argument

"If it lasts twice as long, it costs half as much" Not really. When you paid twice as much as the other one not bought, it's the same.

And yes, buying TP Tools stuff is a directive, as I have both a TP blast cabinet and pressure blaster. Good for you. I have no problem with you directing yourself to buy their products.
I think both of us have strong opinions, some in agreement - others conflicting. Maybe it's better we let red130 decide what he wants to do. unsubscribed
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM

I found , if you mount the dryer higher than the compressor , you get less water in the line.

Gene
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Add another recommendation for TP tools!

I have a taiwanese cabinet that was given to me for free. After lots of frustration, clogging, broken feed hose and NO support for REPLACEMENT nozzles, I upgraded to the TP tools gun kit. Since I got the cabinet for free, it was not a big deal to spend the $90 for the new gun. But if you buy a chineseum cabinet and end up upgrading it later, you would be better off buying a TP cabinet made in USA first!
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:16 AM
1970 Cutlass Convertible

http://www.tptools.com/p/432,358_780...t-Cabinet.html

I went with the TP cabinet. I just didn't want to end up wishing I had something bigger. Also got a water separator and regulator from TP too. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here. I can't wait to try it out

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

Last edited by red130; September 27th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.