Do I need to media blast on a resto?

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Do I need to media blast on a resto?

Hi. I am a new member/owner and have been to a few resto shops to discuss the body work and paint on my 1970 442 convertible.

One shop recommends media blasting to bare metal, the other does not.

As far as I can tell, my 442 has the original panels all around, and I think there are 3-4 weak spots for new metal, for sure....the car seems pretty solid otherwise.

It has the original paint special order Rallye Red, and I'm not changing the color. I don't want to go through a frame off restoration, and I don't have unlimited budget either....

I welcome your comments on media blasting vs. less complete options??

Thanks!
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (64.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
442 sm.jpg (291.4 KB, 25 views)
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Land Yacht Captain

If you want the best possible outcome that will only come from taking it down to bare metal. You can still get a very goo paintjob without but the best will be from bare metal.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:06 PM

IMHO you should not media blast, unless you are going to do a full frame off restoration. Media blasting is expensive and creates it's own set of challenges. Such as distorting the panels and getting everywhere you don't want it. From what you said, "the car seems pretty solid, original paint special order Rallye Red, there are 3-4 weak spots for new metal", I would recomend patching as needed.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Panels only get distorted if the shop uses the wrong media. I guarantee thats why the other shop said don't. They're afraid your panels will be warped to blazes. Talk to your local blast shop and ask the questions. They should be using walnut shell or even better - plastic bead which is what I use in my shop on the sensitive stuff for restos. Its all about prep. Keeping dust and media out of where you don't want it takes time to prep. Having said that there will still be dust in some places. It's inevitable.
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:09 PM

I had my car blasted with Sodium Bicarbonate aka baking soda. The guy came to my house and did it right in the driveway. Took the two coats of paint right down to the metal without any body damage. It did not hurt the glass as it was still in the car. Cost was about $500 but it saved me a ton of time in sanding the old finish off. It also cleaned up easy and exposed all of the bad putty patch repairs the car had done.
Attached Images
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by stcsawdust
I had my car blasted with Sodium Bicarbonate aka baking soda. The guy came to my house and did it right in the driveway. Took the two coats of paint right down to the metal without any body damage. It did not hurt the glass as it was still in the car. Cost was about $500 but it saved me a ton of time in sanding the old finish off. It also cleaned up easy and exposed all of the bad putty patch repairs the car had done.
Just make sure you take the proper precautions (soda blasting specific) prior to spraying any sort of primer, etc on the metal.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Just make sure you take the proper precautions (soda blasting specific) prior to spraying any sort of primer, etc on the metal.
For sure, there are a few different ways to prep the surface for primer after a soda blasting. Ours went well and we have had no paint issues from having it done.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Since you are in TO, consider the Soda Pro in Mississauga (Dundas St./403 area). That is where I got all my parts blasted. They don't use sand at all. Every time I have been there so far, there has a been a shell in there getting soda blasted.

http://www.sodapro.com/contact.html