General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Man finds his stolen car on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
same but different

Man finds his stolen car on Ebay

A neat story on a man that finds his stolen Austin Healy.

I think its nice he never gave up hope in looking.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/12...#ixzz20P8KF3IT
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM

So the moral of the story is keep your 30 year old polce reports.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM

They updated this article from this morning. When I first read it there was no mention of it not being insured. Who, even in 1970, doesn't insure a three year old car....
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Crazy

Man can you imagine how happy that guy probably was?
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM

There was another part of the article that doesn't show up now either. The article said that the Philadelphia police wouldn't reactivate the police report because it would have counted against the 2012 stolen car statistics. Eventually they found some way around it so it wouldn't count against them.

Can you imagine the police department telling you "yeah, we know it was stolen and we know it's your car but we can't go after it or the statistics will look bad"
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM

You never know, and actually know a guy that had something similar happen. Had a 65' 396/425 Corvette that was stolen in 69'. Refused to settle with the insurance chump change offer, and showed up a couple years later. Had an aluminum ZL1 427 race engine in it, but was undrivable on the street, so had the insurance put a 454 crate engine in it. He was just a broke college student at the time, and couldn't afford to do anything else. He still has the car, and sure he wishes still having that ZL1 engine.
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:29 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Great story that had a happy ending, unfortunately you don't see that often enough in this day and time. Nowadays that car would've been cut up by a chop shop for sure
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Awesome story!!

Also really cool that the Philly PD went above and beyond for this guy
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Good story, good ending!
Originally Posted by allyolds68
...The article said that the Philadelphia police wouldn't reactivate the police report because it would have counted against the 2012 stolen car statistics. Eventually they found some way around it so it wouldn't count against them.

Can you imagine the police department telling you "yeah, we know it was stolen and we know it's your car but we can't go after it or the statistics will look bad"
That makes no sense. Thousands are stolen in Philidelphia every year. How would one additional affect their numbers ?? I can only assume bad reporting....

That said, the police are not above reproach. I had a friend who's old Econoline work van was stolen with tens of thousands of dollars of specialized tools, technical documentation, rare/obsolete parts, test instruments, etc... that took years to acquire.

Insurance paid for the (old, cheap) van, but not the stuff inside. He was frantic and spent crazy money trying to replace the lost materials...all the while stressing out and barely limping along in his business.

Fast forward to over a year later: He gets a call from the cops saying 'We have your van. and everything is still inside it!' Turns out they had it ONE DAY after it was stolen, but kept it secret to bust an alledged theft ring.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM

My brother had a car stolen a few years ago. The police found it a few days later in a parking lot out of gas.
Old August 28th, 2018, 08:44 AM

And then there’s the story of when I worked for a taxi company on Long Island from 1992 to 2009. I drove a taxi for years, but was a part of management by the early 2000’s. The company used retired police cruisers as taxi cabs, although they also owned a retired Checker Taxi Cab that was used whenever er they entered a car into a parade (always good advertising).

One day, just before a July 4 parade, the car was serviced and then dropped off at a local car wash to get detailed before the parade. Once the detailing was complete, I went to go pick it up and brought the owner of the company with me (he insisted that I bring him with me). I need to add the following: the owner knew I served in the US Army and knew I did not take crap from idiots involved in the world of taxi driving. I had a full carry pistol permit due to carrying large quantities of cash whenever I picked up proceeds from the seven different offices. That particular day, he assured me I did not need my weapon as he had his with him and we were “only picking up the Checker”.

Another person drove us to the car wash, we picked up the car and proceeded to drive back to the office. While waiting at a light, someone approached the car on passenger side (I was driving) to ask for directions.…while giving directions, the boss unlocked the doors and moments later a gun was at my head from outside my door. This was happening in broad daylight. My boss was pulled from the car, acted like he was going to do something, they shot him in the arm and pistol whipped me...then they stole the car.

I awoke, surrounded by the police, with no Checker Cab in sight. My “poor” boss was bleeding from his arm. After medical on scene, I to,d the cops what happened which, surprisingly did not jibe with what the boss said. Long story short, the boss was a coke fiend. He owed his dealer something like $15k. When they found the dealer, they looked in his garage and found the car. Dealer was charged with assault, grand theft, illegal possession of a firearm, assault with a firearm, possession of cocaine and a bunch of other stuff. My boss made a deal with the police to testify against the dealer, thereby avoiding jail time. He didn’t know what to say to me and avoided me like the plague. Finally, after miraculously losing my job for a reason unrelated to my job. He changed my job description and due to a previous disabling injury, (he didn’t want me to talk at work with my coworkers), I hired an attorney. His testimony was on the record for the case against the dealer and he could not lie his way out of it. He tried to avoid the truth and was reminded of his previous testimony. His involvement in the crime became evident to the judge, he was convicted and ended up serving some time (he was convicted as a co-conspirator for the assault on me). In the end, he even offered me my job back.

I told him to go to Hell.
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Wow, anyways...

I'm glad the guy got his car back.

Oldsguy had a 76 Cutlass stolen 20 years ago. The police called him a year later and said it was in the Kansas City, MO impound lot. Turns out somebody working for the city ended up stealing the car from the impound lot. The car theft ring of dirty city employees was uncovered by the news a few months after my dad settled with the city for a pittance.
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:21 AM

And then there's that time when you replied to a 6 year old thread. Half these guys aren't even here any more.

We need to get a thing that says "Hey, this thread is SIX YEARS OLD. Are you SURE your reply is relevant?" before it lets you post.
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
And then there's that time when you replied to a 6 year old thread. Half these guys aren't even here any more.

We need to get a thing that says "Hey, this thread is SIX YEARS OLD. Are you SURE your reply is relevant?" before it lets you post.
I read the notification in my email and didn't even remember replying. I had to re-read the article (which is actually still has an active link) to remember what it was even about
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Wow, anyways...

I'm glad the guy got his car back.

Oldsguy had a 76 Cutlass stolen 20 years ago. The police called him a year later and said it was in the Kansas City, MO impound lot. Turns out somebody working for the city ended up stealing the car from the impound lot. The car theft ring of dirty city employees was uncovered by the news a few months after my dad settled with the city for a pittance.
lol some things just strike me funny as all get out!
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:25 AM

That 76 Cutlass was MINT!

Actually, I remember how it was stolen. The first thing I did to my 71 98 was to buy new door lock ***** for it. The GM door lock ***** have a shoulder that a thief can wrap a wire coat hanger around from the outside. Once the thief is in the car it's easy to hotwire it and drive it away.
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:35 AM

It was the “wow anyways” that got me . Those ***** made it easy if we locked our keys in the car , but to easy for a thief !!
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:55 PM

a friend of mine found his stolen Ferrari on ebay, it was at a classic car dealership, totally by accident..he had a motor and decided he needed to get it in a car...

When it was stolen, the motor/trans axle was out of the car for service, thats how you service the motor..drop it out the bottom...anyway, someone did a Alabama title thing, and somehow got it titled to the body tag...not the VIN...its a Ferrari..they didnt realize the buck tag was not the VIN..and with the motor out, very easy to find the CON-VIN stamped in the body

Some how he recognized it..called the HighWay Patrol in S Cali..explained to them where the actual VIN was, and they went over, and sure enough..it was his car...some how, its new identity was associated with another tag, that was swapped to the car..

They took it...confiscated it right there on the spot..

best part, he had the orig engine and trans axle...he was looking for a body to use it in..and found his car, by accident..just on a whim he was on there looking around....he said he could never sell the motor/trans axle, even though he was tempted more than a few times..so its back together with its orig drive train..its a 308 like Magnum PI..not like the rarest car on the planet, but it is a Ferrari...the car was missing 17 years....and the title was washed thru 3 states before ending up in California...

in process of a full rotisserie resto..a happy ending
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:59 AM

That's quit a story Mark. You need to get over to your buddy's house and help him on the resto of his Ferrari. While your at it maybe you can convince him that Oldsmobiles are so much better than Ferraris.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 04:38 AM

he was teary eyed telling me the story in spots....and had a grin a mile wide..the car was there on the lift..i was amazed how rusty it was...cool story...good ending

his shop is full of Italian exotic stuff..i dont thing there a change coming for him to Olds...he likes everything on wheels..but he's a Ferrari guy..