General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2024, 04:33 PM
76 Cutlass Salon

Looking to buy

I would love to join the Oldsmobile community, however, I believe firmly that I must first own an Oldsmobile. That said, I am interested in opportunities to buy a highly optioned, numbers matching 1976 Cutlass Salon with the 455 engine. One such car sold on May 12th, 2024 at Mecum Indianapolis without my knowledge that it had been pulled from consignment by the owners and then auctioned. I have also recently added to my interest that a T-top car would be desirable. Pictured below, is the car that I am seeking (still), that was sold at Mecum Indianapolis on May 12th, 2024. Hopefully someone will recognize this Cutlass Salon and respond back in this thread. In the meantime, perhaps another opportunity will come my way.

This is the Mecum Indianapolis auction car.

Last edited by 76455; September 19th, 2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old September 19th, 2024, 05:44 PM
Oldsdruid

Ownership not required. Interest is. Joining Oldsworld is the best way to find a quality car from people who own them, know them, and appreciate them.

Nearly 50000 1976 Salon coupes were produced so shouldn't be difficult to locate one. 455 might not be so common.

If you've ever lived with a hatch roof car you'll think long and hard before buying one. There's a whole separate service manual for the 1976 hatch roof cars, concentrated on stopping them from leaking and reinforcing them so the roof doesn't flex and crack.

I'm going to be blunt. Unless you find a car that has a good provenance and long-term ownership, buying a car at one of the big-name auctions is a crapshoot. A fellow over on AACA has often pointed out that a lot of auction cars are something the owner/consignor wants to get rid of quickly.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 19th, 2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old September 20th, 2024, 06:23 AM

That's a beautiful Cutlass. As mentioned above, Oldsmobile ownership not required. Make sure you find the right one before you purchase.
Old September 20th, 2024, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 76455
I would love to join the Oldsmobile community, however, I believe firmly that I must first own an Oldsmobile.
How do you define the "Oldsmobile community?" Haven't you already joined it, at least to a certain degree, by registering at classicoldmobile and making a post? Haven't you just violated your "firm belief?"

As has been noted, the only "requirement" to join the Oldsmobile community is to be interested in the make. You don't have to own one.
Old September 20th, 2024, 09:23 AM

This car sold for $17,600. Would you be willing to top that? Maybe you could find out who bought it and make him an offer. You never know. Offer him $20k. Some people buy these auction cars with the intent of turning around and selling them again. It is a beautiful car.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 21st, 2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:32 PM
76 Cutlass Salon

Originally Posted by jaunty75
How do you define the "Oldsmobile community?" Haven't you already joined it, at least to a certain degree, by registering at classicoldmobile and making a post? Haven't you just violated your "firm belief?"

As has been noted, the only "requirement" to join the Oldsmobile community is to be interested in the make. You don't have to own one.
It was merely a mild attempt at humor.
Old September 20th, 2024, 05:00 PM
76 Cutlass Salon

Looking to buy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Ownership not required. Interest is. Joining Oldsworld is the best way to find a quality car from people who own them, know them, and appreciate them.

Nearly 50000 1976 Salon coupes were produced so shouldn't be difficult to locate one. 455 might not be so common.

If you've ever lived with a hatch roof car you'll think long and hard before buying one. There's a whole separate service manual for the 1976 hatch roof cars, concentrated on stopping them from leaking and reinforcing them so the roof doesn't flex and crack.

I'm going to be blunt. Unless you find a car that has a good provenance and long-term ownership, buying a car at one of the big-name auctions is a crapshoot. A fellow over on AACA has often pointed out that a lot of auction cars are something the owner/consignor wants to get rid of quickly.
I agree about the auction/crapshoot. However, this particular car had been on consignment for a couple of years and very visible on multiple listing. It just so happened that by the time I decided to pull the trigger on setting in motion a 3rd party inspection and appraisal, while at the same time being preoccupied with recovering from hip surgery, it was no longer with the consignment facility. I also could not seem to get any calls or messages returned. Bottom line is that I blinked, and it was gone. My hope is that by creating my post and including pictures that I can locate the car and make an offer to the new owner. With regards to the Hurst Hatch. I've owned 3 Trans Am's with T-tops ( a 79 Spec Edition, and 80 and 81 Turbos). I never had a problem with leaks on those cars. Are the Hurst Hatch roofs just different beasts than the Camaro and Firebird designs? Unless the Hurst Hatch roofs are letting buckets of water in, then it wouldn't really be problematic for me, because my car would be garage kept and not driven in the rain. But I am curious about any more details about your experience and misgivings. Hey, thanks for your time and reply.
Old September 20th, 2024, 05:18 PM
76 Cutlass Salon

Looking to buy

I'd sure like to find some excerpts in that manual about how it was proposed to reinforce their Hurst installed removable roof panels. Has to be a good read. Lol
Old September 23rd, 2024, 04:37 AM

As a veteran of owning a 79 Hurst Olds with those Hurst Hatches, IMHO, I can provide some insight: DON"T do it. If your car does not already have them on, avoid installing a set, the kits are extremely hard to find and good luck with finding anyone who can install them. My roof was reinforced, and the whole set up, when it was re-done, gave Brian Monahan fits on putting in an NOS set when he installed them when he restored the H/O for me. Same gig with the 73-77 kits, good luck finding a (complete) set and if you do, good luck again finding anyone who will install these nearly 50 year kits. You would be better off finding a moonroof car, and they are a rare bird themselves.

And once you cut those holes, you can't go back. And trust me, it will rain on you someday, it just happens.
Old September 23rd, 2024, 05:49 AM

Hurst Hatch?

The Cutlass that sold didn't have T-tops or a moon roof, correct?
Old September 23rd, 2024, 07:03 AM

Does it have to have a 455? Is that a deal breaker?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...786237306.html
Old September 23rd, 2024, 11:41 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Olds64
Hurst Hatch?

The Cutlass that sold didn't have T-tops or a moon roof, correct?
"Hurst/Hatch" is the trade name for Hurst's original removable glass roof panels. They were introduced in 1975 on (what else?) the 1975 Hurst/Olds. They became a regular production option for 1976 "57" bodystyles (the notchback formal coupes, Cutlass Supreme, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix and Regal) and F-body. Hurst sold the kits aftermarket as well to fit 73-77 "57" bodystyles.

GM developed its own glass panel roofs for the 78-87 A/G body coupes. F-bodies could have either Hurst/Hatch or GM-designed hatch roofs and there's considerable difference between them.

Chrysler used the Hurst/Hatch on some models in late 70s and then developed their own. Ford collaborated with Cars and Concepts to design their own for 77-78 Mustang II fastbacks and 78-79 Thunderbirds and Cougars.

Joe P posted some Hurst/Hatch ads recently but I can't remember if they were here or on AACA.
Old September 24th, 2024, 04:32 AM

x2, that sums it up nicely.
Old September 24th, 2024, 01:02 PM

"Hurst/Hatch" is the trade name for Hurst's original removable glass roof panels. They were introduced in 1975 on (what else?) the 1975 Hurst/Olds. They became a regular production option for 1976 "57" bodystyles (the notchback formal coupes, Cutlass Supreme, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix and Regal) and F-body. Hurst sold the kits aftermarket as well to fit 73-77 "57" bodystyles.

GM developed its own glass panel roofs for the 78-87 A/G body coupes. F-bodies could have either Hurst/Hatch or GM-designed hatch roofs and there's considerable difference between them.

Chrysler used the Hurst/Hatch on some models in late 70s and then developed their own. Ford collaborated with Cars and Concepts to design their own for 77-78 Mustang II fastbacks and 78-79 Thunderbirds and Cougars.

Joe P posted some Hurst/Hatch ads recently but I can't remember if they were here or on AACA.
I had a 77 Cutlass Supreme with the factory Hurst Hatch. They leaked like a sieve. Around 1979 if I remember correctly the factory had a recall. Jim Hannan Oldsmobile in Louisville installed the prettiest redesigned hatches and the leaks went away. Originals had a chrome band around the glass. Replacements were rounded beveled glass similar to door glass. Gaskets were a total redesign. I sure miss that car!!
Old September 24th, 2024, 01:52 PM

That said, I am interested in opportunities to buy a highly optioned, numbers matching 1976 Cutlass Salon with the 455 engine.
Almost exactly how I would want one but preferably an "S" coupe.

Bottom line is that I blinked, and it was gone.
Human nature, maybe that one wasn't meant to be ...

Extremely rare combination. If dead set on it, pull out all stops. A Cutlass coupe with a born in 455 is everything. Regardless of year.

"Only 1.6% came with the 455 motor. (That is somewhere just over 1500) and only 4.4% came with t-tops."

https://www.v8cars.hu/73-77cutlassre...ith%20t%2Dtops.

Now imagine how few actually still exist.