General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

junkyard fun 3/10/09

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM

junkyard fun 3/10/09

Ok I headed out to another yard today in search of the ellusive stuff I want. Mainly an aluminum hood, plastic tailgate, and "DX" block. Well I was somewhat successful. Myself and my room mate went to Harry's U-pull it in Hazleton Pa. This place is huge. We measured it on Google Earth last night. It's a 1/2 mile long by 1/4 mile wide. My room mate needed some marker lights so we got those first as they are easy to carry around. Then headed off in searc of my parts. Well there wasn't many Oldsmobiles from the 80's so pickings were slim. But towards the back of the GM section there was an Olds Delta 88. And low and behold it had the aluminum hood. Funny thing was it was the same year and color of the other ones(one other at this yard and another at another yard) we have seen. The one at the other yard had the hinges bent so we didn't bother with it. Now I wanted the hood and the hinges. Now sense in gettting a light weight hood and not taking the light weight hinges. We got it off and realized how light weight this thing was. Now keep in mine my hood is 5' 4" wide and a tick over 5' long. So it ain't small. But carrying it would have been an easy task had it not been windy today. So we get it paid for and they raped me a bit but that's ok as I am pleased with my purchase. They charged me 34 for the hood with core and 15 for the hinges. Once we got it to the car and on the roof rack of the Subaru I took off the hinges and they weigh almost nothing. They really are that light. Then I went about stapping the hood down. I ended up stopping three times after leaving the yard as the front of the hood kept lifting. But after the last time it didn't move. I guess it just took me awhile to remember all I forgot since being a truck driver. So now I plan on stripping off all the paint. Taking the center rindge trim off and then sealing up the holes drilling in the hood for mounting the trim piece. Then the top will be painted and the under side and hinges polished to a high shine. I am very happy. Now if I could just find that damn light weight tailgate.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Lucky find, stars must have been alined. I never get the lucky
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM

around here $34 would be a steel for a hood. my dad has an aluminium hood and hinges from a 83 delta 88 diesel. always wondered more about these hoods. do you know what determined what got them and what didn't?
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
around here $34 would be a steel for a hood. my dad has an aluminium hood and hinges from a 83 delta 88 diesel. always wondered more about these hoods. do you know what determined what got them and what didn't?

I have no idea. Not sure if they were on the early cars or all through the b-body run. I think they seem to be on the earlier cars. Does your dad's car have the trim piece down the center of the hood? And is his car a light blue?
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
. So we get it paid for and they raped me a bit but that's ok as I am pleased with my purchase. They charged me 34 for the hood with core and 15 for the hinges.
I have to assume that is a joke. Actually it took me 5 minutes to stop laughing at that
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought the same thing. $34 for a hood is awesome. I have heard good things about that junkyard but I am not sure what's in there. Do they have a year range of junked cars? Do they specialize in any makes?
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Yeah, I thought the same thing. $34 for a hood is awesome. I have heard good things about that junkyard but I am not sure what's in there. Do they have a year range of junked cars? Do they specialize in any makes?

So I got a good price then? Well that makes me feel better. Got to wegotused.com and see the site. Teh place is big and has all makes and models. Just not alot for me. There were a bunch of Cutlass' but not alot of older stuff. But it seems they change stuff quite often. While we were there they were taking out a whole row of what appeared to be perfectly good cars to put more in. There is also EZ pull down the road off 875 which it below tamaqua pa. If you ever want to go let me know and I'll show you around.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Yes, I think you got a great deal. I just paid $300 for a used door for my car and it still has some issues.

Thanks for the info on the web site, I will check it out. Also, thanks for the offer on the junkyard, I will definitely let you know.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM

my dads hood is brown. i can't remember if it had any moldings on it. i will have to look. he told me he would not sell it because he thinks it looks neat in the garage. i told him if he wants it to take up space then he should strip it and polish it and hang it form the ceiling.