General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

i need help*****

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM

i need help*****

i have an 86 cutlass salon but the frame rotted out behind the rear wheelwell. i have put over 6000 dollars is this car so i need to fix it. my the right side of my bumper has now fallen off. i have been told that there might be new rear frame clips that i could spice my frame in the back and weld it on.........any suggestions?
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I know this subject has come up before. I don't know of any easy fix though. I think you will have to remove the rear bumper and surrounding body panels and do some heavy duty welding. You might check out www.oldspower.com There are alot of later Cutlass owners on that site.
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by THEoRMEROD
i have an 86 cutlass salon but the frame rotted out behind the rear wheelwell. i have put over 6000 dollars is this car so i need to fix it. my the right side of my bumper has now fallen off. i have been told that there might be new rear frame clips that i could spice my frame in the back and weld it on.........any suggestions?
This is a common problem on the G-body cars. Repro rear frame rails are available here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

Mr. Lozier was at fall Carlisle with his frame rails and I spoke with him. Really nice guy.
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I had this happen to that Delta I gave away. I Got 2 washers about 1/4'' thick, and about the width of a cd. Drilled a hole through the frame rail and through the trunk floor. Put 1 giant bolt through and had 1 washer under the rail and one inside the trunk.

I would not recommend this however as it is hillbilly as hell.
Just trying to give you a good chuckle to cheer you up