General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HELP I have my Qjet apart and need help!!

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

HELP I have my Qjet apart and need help!!

Alright I finally took the plunge and opened up my qjet to see what my off idle issue was. To my surprise and delight, the problem was very evident...the primary power piston was completely seized up against the airhorn gasket and was not moving at all. This was due the the plastic retaining ring being cracked all the hell and wedged up under there. My issue is that what I though was the replacement retaining ring out of my rebuild kit... the plastic like ring with a slit it it, I am assuming to be able to clip it around the piston.... cracked all apart when I tried to seat it under the 3 tiny notches that hold the ring down. Now I have it all apart and have no retaining ring!!!! I took my old qjet part, the one that was originally on the car, and that one has a bigger, thicker plastic ring that has no way to get it off. So I just tried to put the whole old power assembly in my new qjet and the ring is too big to fit in the piston shaft. Was that the right ring out of the rebuild kit and if so why is it so fragile? I don't want to have to buy another $25 kit for a tiny ring of plastic...or is the ring supposed to be permanently affixed around the piston, and I need to get a new piston. HELP!!!! PS- another glaring issue I found was on of the large brass vent tubes is crimped all the hell like someone went at it with a pair of pliers or something, but first hints first, what to do about the ring.
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
BobsW32

go to the junk yark and get get another similar carb and use the piston with ring out of it. I am not at home and won't be for a while but I have at least a dozen of them at the house...Maybe someone else can help out here... Get the measurement off yours so we know what you need.
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:23 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Alright I found in my rebuild kit a rubber gasket that fits into the openig of the power piston shaft and does a very good job of "retaining" the piston, yet allows it it's full range of travel. This may even be what this rubber ring was intended for, and the crappy plastic thing that crumbled apart was used for something else. All I know is that I have been searching the internet and have found nothing about a replace power piston or retaining ring, so unless one of you smart guys or gals out there tells me otherwise, I am going with this. Anyone?? Anyone???
Old March 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Well after closer inspection on my other qjet piston, the reason it wasen't fitting into my new one is that the person who rebuilt it " staked" the edges of the shaft so much that the normal sized retaining ring will not fit into it unless I grind down the tabs. But with this o-ring I put in I was able to work it under the tabs so it was able to conform all around the shaft holding in the piston, but still letting it freely move up and down. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be ok, as long as the gas will not eat the rubber.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM

The power piston should have a nylon retainer, not an O ring, and it's pretty common to have to stake the metal to hold the retainer.
Try this co. for a new nylon retainer..
http://www.gesslerheadporting.com/