General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I got harassed by a prius owner today

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

@ redog a few winters back i was coming home late from my girlfriends' house and it was snowing bad the roads where getting slick, slushy just bad im doin 10 under the limit in my 95 impala ss i used to have and this prius comes flying by and he spun out right in front of me crossed 3 lanes while doing a 360 hit the gaurd rail with his back bumper never stopped he kept driving .
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM

I'm sure your battery opt toy cars took a beating too
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:08 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Battery cars are in their infancy, 110 years ago electric cars outnumbered gasoline powered ones.
However gas was cheap and it was easy to carry enough for a long trip, battery cars could not compete and fell by the wayside, steam powered vehicles went the same way - the Stanley Steamer was the worlds fastest production car once.
Gas turbines have been tried too, by Rover in the UK and Buick (I think - I'm open to be corrected) in the USA, that didn't work either.
Audi/NSU went broke trying to develop the Wankel engine and it nearly brought Mazda to its knees.

Gasoline and diesel engines have been developed for over a century now on a worldwide scale and modern engines are quantum leaps away from the asthmatic unreliable and short lived early designs. I bet plenty of people laughed at early cars saying they will never catch on.

Battery/fuel cell power is at the stage gasoline engines were 100 years ago, maybe in another 100 years our descendants will wonder why we persisted so long with gasoline power when the answer is so blindingly obvious with hindsight.

As classic car fans (along with Mopar/Ford/the rest of GMs stable enthusiasts) we would love to go back to the era of cheap gas but those days are gone and won't come back.
We have to move with the times whether or not we like it, I wonder how many owners of early cars had to endure ridicule when a horse was sent out to recover their broken down automobile.

Battery power, fuel cells and other attempts at alternative power may be blind alleys but someday a practical design will come about.
Just as Henry Ford made the first practical cheap car someone will come up with the next alternative powered vehicle that works properly and piston power will be a pastime for enthusiasts just as horsepower is now.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; August 25th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
Land Yacht Captain

So does that mean the Amish/Mennonites will be driving gasoline powered muscle cars in the future?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM

I'd like to see them open their own muscle car manufacturing plant utilizing old fashion 60’s and early seventies technology, how quaint it would be seeing them tool around in brand new 442’s, Chevelles, Chargers and Challengers, Mustangs and other assorted Detroit dinosaurs.
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM

When I get hassled by do-gooders who drive more fuel efficient cars than I, I ask them how far they drive to work each day (or how many miles a week they drive, or something similar). Usually it's considerably more miles than I drive. A lot of these do-gooders like to live out in the country and commute 20 - 30 miles to work. I commute 10. My car can burn 2 - 3X what their car does and we'll still be even. They make a lifestyle choice just like I do. This line or reasoning usually shuts them up.

The next tactic you can use is to ask them where they draw the line. Supposedly they are a saint; but what if they were accosted by someone who drove an even more fuel-efficient car -- or better yet, someone who walks or bikes almost everywhere. Now suddenly they're on the other end of the argument. What's THEIR justification for wasting as much gas as they do?
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Rook

Agree on the blurbs about recycling a car and not letting it permanently reside in the scrapyard to decompose...and the appreciating asset bit.

I've long wanted to take an Olds missing it's engine and hook it up with a battery and make a unique daily driver out of it so I'm not like every other car out on the road. One day battery technology will make that possible.

In the meantime, I'm happily looking for my internal combustion engined car that will always be the first love because it's living history. Kudos to you for driving something unique and don't let the metrosexual treehugger get you down! You can be all for Mother Earth and still love an Olds!