General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I got harassed by a prius owner today

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

We have some good friends who (unfortunately) are left wing bleeding heart liberals (DISCLAIMER: We were friends before present day politics was at the forefront - deep down I think they know I'm "Right" but that's another story for another message board)...needless to say we take a lot of good natured crap about our "fleet" of gas guzzlers - now, they're not Prius drivers, but are "green", "Coexist", "Vote for the Children"...all that BS

My favorite thing is after we do somthing together where we use my ESV to take 8 people, their luggage, 2 great danes, and a camper somewhere (in ice cold comfort whilst watching DVD's) and after we get there I'll say "try that with your Prius" with a wink and a smile....

It's become an old joke, but it reiterates how purposeful a large car can be in that I've had enough opportunities to say it that it's become old hat. Prius people would have had to take 3 cars and rented a motorized camper (don't think they have much of a towing capacity)
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:11 AM

wow what cool story, here in california there are a bunch of these nuts, i had one make a comment, but nothing like yours, i just left the cloud of smoke an blazed threw the light. an i just want to say as a 22 yr young man, congrats for keepin your cool. and i agree that most of these guys or gals drivin these thing don't know or shouldn't be on the road, at least get OUT the fast lane,YEHHHHHHHH. MOVE OUT THE WAY!!!!!lol.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM

^^ Pfft fast lane?

There was a story on our local news a few years ago when gas was $4 a gallon for regular about a Pruis in Mayrland going 40 on I-95 and got a ticket for going too slow (65 MPH speed limit, might be 70 now)

Not only couldn't he understand why he got a ticket, he boasted about his great MPG.

A Pruis will actually get lower MPGs on the highway than in the city, the slower they go, the better the MPG. At one time they were rated at 43 city/41 hiway.

This was around the same time that 1990 Geo Metros where selling on eBay for $7000 in fair condition. They get 50 MPG. Maybe be a 3 cyl, but it's less gay than a Pruis
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Oldsdruid

SBORule brought up interesting points about recycling plastics etc.

In NC where I work, it is illegal to put plastic or aluminum in landfills. So all of that is collected and recycled. I'm good with that. It means every building at work has twice as many trash cans, but I believe recycling is good.

At home (in VA), I have recycling bins for plastic, aluminum and paper. When they're full, I take them to the county-run trash collection station a few miles down the road.

The county used to have separate dumpsters for plastic, AL and paper. I'd put my recyclables in them. Now, to save money, they have changed all those dumpsters to what they call "commingled recyclables". You put it all in one dumpster.

I guess they have something that separates the stuff. I always suspected it all went in the same pile at the landfill anyway.

They also cut the open hours from 6AM-8PM 7 days a week to 8AM-6PM Mon-Sat, meaning I often have to hustle to get the damn trash out. No such thing as dropping it off early in the morning any more, and sometimes tuff to get it there by 6 in the evening too.

You will find that a lot of "environmentalists" tend to be zealots and wackos. They're self righteous and do not want to hear the other side. They also tend to be fairly ignorant of the true cost or environmental impact of their current flavor du jour.

Wind turbines, in addition to being horrendously ugly, are an environmental nightmare when they fail. They catch fire, spill oil and molten metals, fall from their 600-foot-high perches and cause all kinds of mayhem. Being in the power generation binness, I see that stuff, but the environmental left tries to suppress all that.

Batteries? Good idea in theory, but when they die or wear out, you have to do something with the remains, and all kinds of heavy metals in them. In ore, spread out, manageable and natural. Concentrated as in a dead battery, not so much.

But DuPont said it best- "Better ideas for better living- through chemistry!"
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You will find that a lot of "environmentalists" tend to be zealots and wackos.
Best definition of environmentalism as practiced today I've ever seen:

Environmentalism is now a secular religion, an atavistic form of earth worship. Very little of it has any basis in science. It's a substitute for Christianity and the other theistic superstitions, and, in fact, a reversion from a personal Deity to a crude, superstitious adoration of 'Nature'.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Plus these Hybrid owners don't see the entire picture. They are just focused on the MPG of your car v theirs.

As I said before, the Pruis makes more greenhouse gasses than a Hummer H1, and greenhouse gasses make the hole in the ozone layer.

I have CFL's in all my light fixtures, recycle more than I should, clean up any oil or antifreeze spills ASAP, use gel or stick deoarant, etc. If I didn't care, that would be a different story.

Last time I checked, this is a free world and I can drive ANYTHING I WANT! If you want to be a homo and drive a homo car, hey, knock yourself out.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Redog
They get 50 MPG. Maybe be a 3 cyl, but it's less gay than a Pruis
I've got no problem with a guy driving the smallest vehicle he needs and looking for good mileage to save a buck,

—— BUT ——

Paying a big chunk of extra money for a brand-new car, when you could get better mileage with a cheaper used car COMPLETELY negates any argument these idiots have that they're saving money, and proves beyond a doubt that they are, in fact, [I've got gay friends, so I can't say "gay," "queer," "faggy," "swish," or "homos," but I CAN say] pussies.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pussy.jpg (25.6 KB, 162 views)
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Land Yacht Captain

While I can't stand these cars or the attitude of many of their drivers. You really shouldn’t perpetuate "INTERNET" myths that have been disproved many times such as the one described by Redog.

As I said before, the Pruis makes more greenhouse gasses than a Hummer H1, and greenhouse gasses make the hole in the ozone layer.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 20th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM

^ I didn't get that from the net, They did a story about it on the local news, small clip. about 15 seconds. About 14 seconds longer than any Pruis owner deserves
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Then its time to find another news channel. That story is about 6 years old and full of holes.

People on here bashing all Prius owners based on incorrect unsubstanciated information makes them no better than the person this thread is about.

People who drive a Toyota Prius have made a choice. So has anyone that drives a classic car. Neither hurts anyone so why make an issue out of it. There is no need for name calling of any kind.

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/integr...r_vs_prius.pdf

^ I didn't get that from the net, They did a story about it on the local news, small clip. about 15 seconds. About 14 seconds longer than any Pruis owner deserves

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 20th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
There is no need for name calling of any kind.
Awwwwwwwwww. But the name calling was FUN!

- Eric
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls

People who drive a Toyota Prius have made a choice. So has anyone that drives a classic car. Neither hurts anyone so why make an issue out of it. There is no need for name calling of any kind.
You make good points, so I don't have to call my father in law a homo?
He is sorta a car guy, never turned a wrench but likes cars.
He bought a Prius because he thinks its cool. The tech aspect.
It doesn't get many miles put on it so he lets me and the misses take small trips in it. And my mother in law drives a Hybrid Camry.
I can let the ClassicOlds board know there are at least 2 nice Hybrid drivers out there.
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

look i dont bash these people openly . I bash the ignorant owners who beleive they are doing good sorry but one bad apple can ruin the batch. There is a documentary i saw on the sundance movie channel about how recycling came about in the 80's because of lack of jobs and that barge that was traveling the atlantic coast looking to dump all the waste into a land fill but all where full. Recycling is to re-use but the process it takes pollutes so realisticly we are back to square one we have less crap in our land fills but more pollutuion because we have to find a way to re process all this junk either way we are screwed . Now all these people with priuses fell god like but dont realize that classic cars only polute .03 percent ther rest are big rigs , trains and daily commuters . I also got that .03 percent from an article on hotrod magazine i think they should make a documentary on how bad priuses are and mail em to every prius owner now that would shut em up
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM

I just hate the ones that think they are saving the world
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM

I would have told that tree hugger to kiss my A**! And thats being polite!
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRT9RFChf4
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM

another funny prius movie clip is from the movie the other guys
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM

here is a clip from the writers from southpark, pretty funny saying how so many of the folks who own a Prius fly in a private jet what a waste. Interestingly I have never seen this attitude from a Prius owner here in Chicago and I respect anyone who buys one, but hearing this clip definitely opened my eyes to the "smug" attitude
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Probably the same guy that thinks it's cool to deny law abiding citizens their 2nd amendment rights here in 0bama's "home state" even though 49 other states recognize the right...

Id have asked him flat out if he was an 0bama lover???

There would be a lot of laughing and jeering and head shaking involved too...

This thread has inspired me to get going on pulling the old "smog" J headed 455 out of my 84 Ninety Eight, and swap in the High compression ported headed camed 425 I've been working on
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
1970 442

Like I said earlier, to each his own, but for this guy to go out of his way and hassle someone at a gas station for the car they drive, that's WAY out of line.

I would have loved to have seen that incident escalate, and some bystander calls the police because they think there may be a fight. And when the police officer shows up, you say, "Ummm...he wants to fight me, because.....I'm not driving a Prius?"

Reason #14 why this country sucks now. Radical whack job environmentalist Liberals.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Like I said earlier, to each his own, but for this guy to go out of his way and hassle someone at a gas station for the car they drive, that's WAY out of line.
Exactly - the whole point of this thread. If someone did that to me, I would give him or her 10x the harrassment back.
Just because it fits their lifestyle, it will never fit mine. I have a house and yard and I do not buy assemble-it-yourself furniture or pay $70 delivery for an ottoman or BBQ grill.
I do believe saving the environment is great - I do what I can as long as it is not costing me anything or making me go out of my way. Actually, I find it much better to conserve - saves cost, time, and hassle.
Those homo cars are techno-nightmares when they break - Too much delicate programmed electronics in them. Regular cars are not too far behind - the reason I do not want one.
Making 'green' items makes them complex, delicate, and costly. Replairs are often and costly, too. Even if under warranty, thats time and hassle for you. Another reason I will not buy those green home appliances. Everyone I know with those front load washers have had to pay 500 in repairs during the first 2 years. Too much darn electronics and cheaply made parts... My 3 year old oven flashing a "microprocessor failure" error code? Not for me. The board may not even be available. Simple items can last much longer. The "wow" factor will be in how long it has lasted, instead of it's techincal capabilities.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Those homo cars are techno-nightares when they break - Too much delicate programmed electronics in them. Regular cars are not too far behind - the reason I do not want one.
Newer cars have their pro's and con's.

Higher impact speeds they are WAAAAAAAY safer then our classics are.
However they can be totaled out a hell of alot easier at lower impact speeds.

Way better suspension , braking, engine power, efficiency, interior comfort and amenities.
So that's where I believe upgrading classics with all of this is the best route to go.

My only beef with newer technology cars really is those electronic integrated key fobs that cost $400 to replace.
I just want a regular F'n key with a chip in it. Seems Manufacturers found a way to make more $$$ on just keys.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 21st, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Actually that had nothing to do with manufactures. Auto manufactureres put up a hell of a fight to stop immobilizer systems because they cause them nothing but problems. It was the federal governments and insurance companies that pushed legislation trough forcing them to be installed in many countries..

As far as integrating the remotes and keys those were demands made by customers. European cars have had those keys for years and they were pretty much bullet proof as long as they weren't dropped in a puddle. Then domestic manufactureres decide they want to compete with that but once again use cheaper components and have nothing but problems.
Originally Posted by Aceshigh
My only beef with newer technology cars really is those electronic integrated key fobs that cost $400 to replace.
I just want a regular F'n key with a chip in it. Seems Manufacturers found a way to make more $$$ on just keys.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 21st, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM

You guys live in the wrong part of the country. Down here my Cutty gets all the thumbs up, cheers, and drools. The Prius owners are the ones who get the belly laughs.
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:40 AM

Prius batteries are even worse than being made in Germany and shipped to Japan. Materials for them are mined in Canada first, processed in China, then shipped to Germany for manufacture...
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM

@ aces high newer cars do have better impact resistance but everything is made to crumple up i nailed the median wall on i 355 in my cutlass doing 45 i only took out the fender hood and core no frame damage a new car would have folded over like a piece of paper. We once had a prius come into our shop it got into a front impact accident this was a 2009 model in 2010 it totaled out because it nailed the battery wires and the whole thing needed to be replaced. It could have been repaired., the insurance company was not too thrilled to dish out that much money. I see how cars are built and lets just say i will never buy a new car
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Cars can be replaced. The people in them cant. If the car is destroyed with a 30mph hit great. It took the force and thats its job.

Hybrids are just a bandaid solution anyway until they can design batteries with enough capacity to make full electrics practical. Once we can get full electric vehicles going then we will see a dependable car and basically the death of mechanics.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM

i agree about safety but i can be stubborn. i have seen air bags not deploy in rolled over cars and major side and front impact. A good friend of mine hit a tree goin 60 his airbag did not deploy his seat belt saved him he walked away in jury free most cars are tested with the same car the smart car has a 5 star crash rating but only with a car of its size pair it up with my 94 2500 dodge and its gonna be thrashed what good is all that safety if its limited to size and speed
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Actually that’s not true at all.

I worked for Mercedes Benz for 7 years and saw a number of crash test videos with the smart car being testing in of center crash tests against vehicles of much larger size. The smart car usually ended up destroying the larger vehicle. It was also the only car at the time to pass the off center rear collision test. I was even driving in a smart car and got rear ended by a Ford Explorer at a stop light. The guy didn't even hit the brakes. The Explorer was a write off but the smart car needed a new bumper cover and exhaust manifold.

Everyone always say "well if it get hit by a large truck" which is so stupid because if pretty much anything gets hit by a larger truck it will do a lot of damage. The difference with the Smart car is there isn't a lot of resistance to movement made by the smart so if something large hits it it doesn't crush the body but instead moves the whole vehicle.

Here is one of a smart car hitting a concrete barrier at 70MPH. The passanger prob wouldn't have survived the hit but the car doors still work which shows how strong the cars actually are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7WMvLxOXcLU

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
i agree about safety but i can be stubborn. i have seen air bags not deploy in rolled over cars and major side and front impact. A good friend of mine hit a tree goin 60 his airbag did not deploy his seat belt saved him he walked away in jury free most cars are tested with the same car the smart car has a 5 star crash rating but only with a car of its size pair it up with my 94 2500 dodge and its gonna be thrashed what good is all that safety if its limited to size and speed

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 21st, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM

I would like to see a front end collision in the smart I know they are safe a good friend of mine had one but no matter how safe they are I don't care what test say those are controled situations in a uncontrolable enviorment such as real street driving it can all change very fast
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM

Sorry didn't see the vid on my phone but I do know the whole door pillas is essentially a roll cage and also I'm yet to see one in a body shop I have been doin body work for 6 years I have yet to see one come through . I actually like working on mercedes its a well engineered car and easy to work on atleast I think they are but working in a shop I have seen some scary stuff with new cars
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

It isn't quite 4:20 yet but I came in for some BBQ anyways, it's Sunday.

Here's a couple more pure electric hotrods you might find interesting.

A 10.08 @ 127mph 1979 Camero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9psoOXNbx2k

And how about a Drag Bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCl6C7ce_Uo

There's a couple electric drag bikes that show up @ Orlando Speed World Dragway and I'm seriously thinking of building one for myself, could keep it in my air conditioned Floridaroom which would sure beat working in the hot garage.

SBORule brought up interesting points about recycling plastics etc.
Thanks for helping us critters out here in ocean.

Wind turbines, in addition to being horrendously ugly, are an environmental nightmare when they fail. They catch fire, spill oil and molten metals, fall from their 600-foot-high perches and cause all kinds of mayhem. Being in the power generation binness, I see that stuff, but the environmental left tries to suppress all that.
Yeah and the Wind Turbines that are low to the ground kill Eagles chasing their meals in some parts of the country.

Batteries? Good idea in theory, but when they die or wear out, you have to do something with the remains, and all kinds of heavy metals in them. In ore, spread out, manageable and natural. Concentrated as in a dead battery, not so much.
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say. I know you can bring dead lead/acid batteries back to life, that one battery company that you see on NASCAR cars alot that have green colors, started as a battery recycler and now they make new ones.

But DuPont said it best- "Better ideas for better living- through chemistry!"
I use to think that way back in the 70s.

Last edited by SBORule; August 21st, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM

electric drag cars are insane., but the only electric cars i like are my rc cars. Off the subject i built an electric drag rc car back in high school i had metals/fabrication shop class and an electronics class i milled my own chassis and used the drive train off of 2 rc trcks so it had twin motors working each wheel but everything was wired to come in together we ran a 14 cell battery on it under a 1/8th scale camaro body and holy crap it was insanely fast we had the local school cop clock it in at 80 mph on a side street but it was short lived i cheaped out on the remote control's anti glitch device and it hit the curb . I learned a valuable leson that day dont trust a 20 dollar part to cover for the cheap controler that has to control the rc car i had 300 dollars into that was alot of money back in high school
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:13 AM

How many of these hypocrites live in huge impractical homes (which is their right to do so) that cost twice as much to heat than my 60 year old cape? Probably more since I heat with wood, part of which are construction scraps that would otherwise go to a landfill. My Grand marquis can consistently get close to 30 miles per gallon on the highway, they are very affordable cars to buy slightly used and inexpensive to maintain. I love pulling in front of a Prius with my 70 Cutlass so they can inhale my emissions, it’s adjusted a tad rich.

I often show up at the lake with my 4 and a half foot RC battleship in the back seat, it’s electric powered. Most new cars won’t work for me because the back seat isn’t big enough to transport my electric powered warships.

I believe in coexistence, with nuclear weapons.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM

The world would be a much better place if people listened to their mothers' advice and minded their own business.

Speaking of 'green', the biggest environmentalists around are hunters and fishermen, and a lot of those guys drive trucks. Most of them realize the real threat to nature is big business, turning our forests into wood chips for suburbs built on top of farmland. They see this first hand... better than the armchair greenie that wouldn't know nature if it bit him in the as$.

-Justin
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Aceshigh;313335]Absolutely easier to work on.
But more importantly, they are ALWAYS APPRECIATING in value.
This is my excuse I tell my wife when I just "invested" $6,000 more into my Pro-touring 1970 442 clone.

That's where you can tell the queerbait that his Lithium piece of crap is
going to be worthless in 10 years while your classic is worth 2x what it is now./QUOTE]

I have to disagree. Maybe 1 in 20 owners on this forum will ever see a positive return on their investments in these cars. In 10 years our cars won't be worth double what they are now, hell most of our cars aren't worth what they were 5 years ago! The 442's and w-30's have probably already capped out in value. In 10 years, the market for "classics" will be different. The 80's camaro's and alike will be more popular among restorers because all the "grey haired men" have bought the 70's "muscle cars". Although there is nothing "American Muscle" about a regular cutlass or even a supreme convertible.

I agree the Prius is not the way of the future and pretty much a waste, but a 40 year old car isn't the answer either.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I have to disagree with your disagreement.

I don't think Aces was trying to say that every old car will appreciate like a 442 or a GTO at the height of the boom, only that, all things considered, it's value will at least keep pace with inflation, and possibly do a little bit better, while the average new car will lose 50% of it's value the day you buy it, and continue to depreciate for the next 20 years.

I also don't think that he was talking about turning a profit on the work he did, only that having bought a given antique car, it's value will not go down every year.

- Eric
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Wow, can't believe someone had the nerve to approach you and hassle you about your car. You dealt with it quite well, I would have been pissed. I've never had that happen, yet... Only comment I got at the gas station was a guy saying I better hang on to that Oldsmobile, and that his brother collects them.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM

I think that Quagmire was on to something when he said to Brian

Just because you drive a Pruis, doesn't make you Jesus Christ
I was driving home from my best freind's baby's christing yesterday which was in the burbs of NYC. It was pouring rain and a Pruis flew by, and I noticed the tires were BALD!!

Kinda like the "walk on water" thing
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM

In a hundred years, non-sanctioned life terminations will be a thing of the past... so drive your old Olds while you can. Screw what others have to say at present.

Quick Reply: I got harassed by a prius owner today