General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I got harassed by a prius owner today

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
1970 442

That really takes a lot of nerve to just walk up and start hassling someone about their while they're just getting gas. I know Prius owners are pompous, but that's going too far.

It shows though that this Prius owner has probably taken a lot of crap about his car, maybe from co-workers, maybe even from people laughing at him at stoplights. Sounds like he was looking to chew someone out, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A good comeback is one they used in "Family Guy". As Quagmire was ripping into Brian, pointing out all Brian's faults, he says, "Just because you drive a Prius, Brian, doesn't make you Jesus Christ."
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Not all Prius owners are d**ks, a buddy of mine has one, only gets 35mpg because his foot is always in it, his resto project, which he drives frequently during the summer, is a '70 442 4spd w/3:42's. He learned to drive a stick in this car a good twenty years ago, He aint' shy about smokin' 'em.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...because his foot is always in it...
Isn't that about as pointless as a **** on a boar? I mean, how fast is a Prius really going to go with your foot on the floor? lol!
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM

You guys now slowly get to the pressure that we have here in Germany for nearly 20 years already!

In America I see cars waiting at the supermarket, with the engine running, that would be a "deadly" story here! People would bang on your car roof and yell at you to turn off the engine!

You see it everywhere in the US that car and truck engines are kept running while loading, unloading, waiting etc.

When you get to a railroad crossing in this country, there are big signs everywhere to stop your engine while waiting for the train to pass.

Experience shows that we can all save a lot of fuel just in turning off the engines while waiting and do not forget, compared to the V8s in the USA, we over here talk about "lawn mower engines". Our average here is now at like 1,6 liter motors inside cars.

Now we got environmental zones in the center of cities. If your car is not really the latest state of the art with the highest level of exhaust cleaning etc, you will not get a green sticker for your windshield in which case you cannot enter the city!! If you dare to do so anyway, you will pay a "nice" fine!

Now to the attack of the Prius owner. The production of a car like a Prius would AT LEAST create more than 30 tons (!) of emissions plus the recycling, which would create another giant volume.
Now think about it, if our cars are 30 or 40 years old, and the normal car changing cycle is every 5 or 6 years, you guys would have had 8 cars at 5 years cycle and 40 years of age of your Olds.
8 cars by 30 tons emissions for the production plus recycling of each of them, plus plus...
So in reality, people who keep on driving their old "wrecks" protect the environment much more than a person who drives a Prius and gets a new one every 5 years.

The real problem that we see coming up here in Germany is that people are setting fire on "big" cars at night. The put a barbeque charcoal lighter on a tire of a parked car at night and then move away. The charcoal lighter lights the car and it burns down.
This week they burned nearly 20 cars in Berlin alone!!!

Keep in mind that most of the stuff that creates headaches in this country sooner or later will show up at yours too!!
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM

A good comeback is one they used in "Family Guy". As Quagmire was ripping into Brian, pointing out all Brian's faults, he says, "Just because you drive a Prius, Brian, doesn't make you Jesus Christ."

Southpark did an episode about Prius owners. Don't remember the whole show but do remember it showing them as being so into themselves they would sniff their own farts. So maybe we should call these prima donnas "fart sniffers."
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
I would have just politely told him to "go..." ah, let's just say that my suggestion would have been physically impossible.
The manner in which to say it in a classy way is to tell someone to "perform an anatomical Impossibility on themsevlves".
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by msco123
Southpark did an episode about Prius owners. Don't remember the whole show but do remember it showing them as being so into themselves they would sniff their own farts. So maybe we should call these prima donnas "fart sniffers."
It was priceless.

Prius owners create dangerously high & damaging smug emissions..

(which, when combined with George Clooney, created a Perfect Storm of smug that threatened to engulf the whole country..)
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:21 AM

As mentioned, what business is it of his. I've got a longer fuse than most, but there's limits. Had a nut job hassleing me in a parking lot about something, and started grabbing at me. I'm not exactly a small guy, and that tore it. Lets just say the guy wasn't to happy a few minutes later. There's some real whacko's out there.
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

What an ignorant a$$!! People are a trip, aren't they?? Well you showed good class by not hauling off and hitting him, lol. Like the other fellow said, you were probably just the scapegoat. I've never had anyone say anything to me about driving Teepo, I mostly get guys coming up to look at her and tell me how nice she is when I'm pumping gas. I do get a few looks because I have to pull up so far out into the lot and sometimes block the way out, because the tank is in the back!

I do hate the big SUV's and cars that get right up on my bumper when I'm driving her on a 2 lane road. I realize most of the driver's weren't even born when we were driving these cars back in the day, but you'd think they'd figure out the old cars drive totally different from today's cars! We can't fly over railroad tracks for fear of breaking something, and our stopping power and such aren't what the cars of today are like!! I do a lot of glaring in my mirrors at these a$$holes!
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Really nothing to add here! Depending on my mood, and what the voices in my head say! I might have accidentally sprayed him down with fuel when I pulled the hose out of my tank, then as I was apologizing I could possibly seen myself pulling out my bic and lighting a cigerette! Eh, who knows???
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Hey, next time the Prius owner is hyping about his hyper miling ask him how safe the sh*tbox is VS a nice big American truck.
PLUS the Lithium in the batteries is a Class D fire, which means you can't put it out with anything regularly available.
It's going to burn him to death like Magnesium once it ignites.
They're so dangerous they downed a UPS Freightliner over the UAE and the FAA issued a special fire warning.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...atteries_N.htm

YOU LOSE
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...-accident.html

Originally Posted by The_German
Now to the attack of the Prius owner. The production of a car like a Prius would AT LEAST create more than 30 tons (!) of emissions plus the recycling, which would create another giant volume.
Now think about it, if our cars are 30 or 40 years old, and the normal car changing cycle is every 5 or 6 years, you guys would have had 8 cars at 5 years cycle and 40 years of age of your Olds.
8 cars by 30 tons emissions for the production plus recycling of each of them, plus plus...
So in reality, people who keep on driving their old "wrecks" protect the environment much more than a person who drives a Prius and gets a new one every 5 years.
Excellent. Never considered this angle.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 19th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Isn't that about as pointless as a **** on a boar? I mean, how fast is a Prius really going to go with your foot on the floor? lol!
Yep, but that's just the way he is. No hyper mile-ing for him, I guess if he were driving a "normal" car then his mileage would be even worse.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM

A friend that I golf with owns a Prius and we take a few out of town trips each year. I own a Cadillac STS as my daily driver. Now guess what car he suggests we take on the out of town trips. And yes he is happy to pay for half the gas for the comfort. The Cad averages 20-22 miles per on the hiway 18 around town. His car rids like a 60 International pickup and lets in a ton of road noise at hiway speeds. Basically it sucks
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Just imagine how fun it would be to stuff your exhaust pipe down that MF's throat. Be sure to drive your gas guzzler on Earth Day, I drive all three of mine. It makes me happy to pollute the air that Al ***** breaths
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Loving all the feedback guys and the south park episode with the smug I's hilarious its a brilliant show most people think is childish
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM

Its also hard for people to take you serious when you stoop to their level I take the high road and kill em with kindness
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
1970 442

One of my favorite shows!

Old August 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I always blow them a kiss with my turned up Cummins powered Ram......
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
Buy a diesal, buy an old heating oil tank, get it filled up with home heating oil, run your diesal on that.

Home heating oil and diesal are the same thing, one is red, one is green (I think the home heating oil is red, and taxed a lot less, thus cheaper

It's dyed to see if the truckers are using it instead of regular diesal at those weigh stations you see on the state line

Ya and if caught with it in your personal vehicle you can also get a fine just like the truckers would..

it is for Farm / heating use.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Registered car nut

I'm no Prius fan! However the batteries have been lasting very well. Plenty have and will go beyond 7 years. They have o.k. pick up from a stop.
They also have soy based wiring insulation that rats love to chew up.
Bad call on that green decision. That will put an unpleasant thought in there heads.

ps I'm all for good gas mileage and clean running cars.
I am anti A--hole!
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:30 PM

My coworker has one of those homo things. As soon as I saw it, I laughed!
"Oh, nice car! Uh, where you put the batteries???" hehehe....

Oh, wait - I couldn't use that line anymore...

I rode with him in it once and he floored it a few times. It has a similar get up and go as my Pinto with 156k on the original motor.

This is the same guy who insists on using a cordless computer keyboard and mouse and is asking me for new batteries every few weeks. How non-green is that?
Remeinds me of a girl coworker who will never drink our deadly tap water but smokes 2 packs of cigs a day. Tap water has not made me sick yet...
Humorous but sad.
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM

While this is getting a bit off topic, I just dont like rechargable batteries, as seems everything I have with them, croaks out after a couple years. Then there's the battery pack weight issue, as somethings gotta haul all that around. Truth is, hybrids do well in the city, with motor assist from launch, but nothing special on the highway. Know two guys with Chevy Cruze Eco's, and really do get 42 highway.
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM

@ 66 olznut i too have a cummins and older 12 valve ., i have a single stack and love belching black smoke at the priuses and watch them give me the finger it always makes me smile and blow more smoke lol
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Aceshigh. I checked out the Prius Wuss Site. They actually have the number of times listed you as a member have been thanked and how many times you have thanked others..Unreal.

I once had someone tell me my car stunk, too loud, and uses too much gas. I just looked at her and said...You're ugly. She was left speechless. Then I realized it was my Mother In Law..No it wasn't. Love my Mother in law.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Where were you in '72?

But Mr. Prius...have some compassion, it belonged to my grandmother and she wanted me to have it as her last dying wish!
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Glad to hear this hasn't only happened to me, about a month ago on my way to my office, at a red light with the windows down, a prius pulled up next to me, and as all of you know our cars tend to be a little bit louder then, well, any cars made today.

All of a sudden I hear this guy call out to me, so I am thinking great, some one needs directions, and I'm the unlucky guy they pull up to.

The guy tells me that "You should look into buying a car for this century, one that doesn't have a smoke stack attached to it" before I can even process what is going on (haven't gotten to D&D yet so, it took a second) he said, "What does that car do, 0-60 in 5 gallons?" at this point I was upset, so I just replied "Well then, thank god your car doesn't burn that much fuel, so there is more for me to use"

Then I did something probably a little irresponsible, but I pulled up a little, revved my engine, and let my tires smoke up right into his car when the light turned (Don't hate, it was early, i was at that point ticked off, and haven't had coffee yet ;p )
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Some good laughs in this thread - keep em coming!
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Land Yacht Captain

If they get that mad about a Cutlass I can't wait to see the reaction to my BB Full Size. LOL Im excited I love stirring the pot.
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM

I'm sure there's a thread on a Prius board right now... "I educated a clunker owner."

You can't reason with these people.
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM

Lmao its something people will never understand. The feel , the sound of a rowdy cam loud exhaust , the smell of the car, the uniqueness it may get 5 mpg but driving your prius will never turn heads and look this good getting 5 mpg. Also as any young guy knows you aint picking up chicks in a prius they wanna ride in the cool cutlass that grabs everyones attention as it pulls up to the local burger joint

Last edited by coppercutlass; August 19th, 2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: my phone sucks
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

coppercutlass at 6 in the morning i would of been ready for a fist fight........BTW I think I took some pics of your car at Byron last year?
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM

yes bigjerr i had the front end in primer it is indeed my car i will be at byron this year again
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

They bitch about my smelly diesel. One time a guy asked me why I need such a large truck. I honestly answered him with this is my only vehicle, my multi-purpose vehicle. Best of 24 mpg on the highway. 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 103. Tows 13,000 lbs and hauls among other things 6 people. When I went to Reno, I got a best mpg of 16.9 while towing the '65. Worst of 14.4 when pulling the many mountain passes up to 8000' but still at crusing speed in overdrive. If they make a hybrid that can top that, I'm in. Until then, don't tell me what I need when you don't know my needs, my truck fulfills my needs perfectly, especially when it will be paid off in just 3 more months! 2011-07-27084805.jpg
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Just to clarify: I used to work at the local Toyota dealer here. The batteries are made in Germany but the car is made in Japan. To make that battery is a huge carbon footprint and the early models had it's fair share of failures that required replacement at 4k a pop. I've also replaced practically every starter battery (the one in the trunk) on all the ones we've sold also. That's $200. He sounds like every Prius owner I've ever met. I'd like to choke the lot of them out. They are all arrogant and think they walk on imported air. If they knew the expense of transporting those batteries from Germany to Japan not too mention the failure rate of them along with Toyota water pumps and gas pedals they might sing a different tune. Granted they get good gas mileage but they are not all they are cracked up to be. Besides, I like the smell of burning rubber rather than electric motor ozone. Electric motor ozone, there's another topic for him.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM

Another Family guy quote

"Look we just won free gas for life, but that's not going to help Brian, because he bought a Pruis" (everybody laughs)

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM
1970 442

I think it was Dennis Miller who once said that we will NEVER get away from gasoline until all the oil supplies are gone. So every time he sees a hybrid, he thinks, "You IDIOT! You're just prolonging our dependency!"
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

You should of told the guy the planet has already past the point of saving.

You handled yourself very well being it was so early in the morning, I would of probably said GFYMFer or somthing along those lines.

I'm trying to be a better environmentalist, I put my used plastic at the curb to be picked up by a recycling garbage truck only because I have watched the Oceans go to hell over my life time. I saw a TV show a few years ago about how plastic ends up in the Ocean and kills alot of fish and birds and shyt. I surf, not as much as I use to now that I'm over 50 and I have watched how nasty the ocean has become since childhood, I know we can do better, so I try to do my part but this Prius clown sounds like a *******.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing people saving wild life, just tonight on the World News on TV there where some people who freed a humpback whale that was all entangled in a fish net that was made of nylon and that stuff take hundreds of years to desolve. Watching that whale jump out of the water and wag it's tail after being freed was the best thing I have seen in months.

My car is 35 years old and it gets just as good of gas mileage as the new 2011 pick up trucks do that have a gas V8. 14 city / 20 highway so it's not polluting anymore than others do.

I want to become more Green and use less oil from the middle east mostly. If E85 would become more available, I would put a E85 carb on my car just so I wouldn't be buying Arab oil.

There is a really good documentary movie called WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR, rent it or barrrow it from someone and watch it, you might find it interesting if anything.

I'm a die hard racer and even I was impressed by what you can build using batteries. Did any of you catch that electric powered dragster on Pinks All Out that ran low 8's @ 160mph. ? Pretty cool car. Here's a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ukLgsGEzs and here's a 9 second electric powered VW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGns...eature=related

Electric cars can be recharged without using electricity from your house, you could recharge it using solar cells and wind turbines which can be built by yourself if you do some research online.

Think of the things you could power with stored energy (batteries) charged by solar cells and or wind generators.

TV's, Lights, HotWater Tanks etc. and then you would only need Power company electric for your A/C, Stove and ReFrigerator, could cut your electric bill in half and in some cases people who have alot solar cells and wind generators actually make their power meter run backwards during peak solar and wind generation periods during the day or night and that makes your electric bill even less and some cases the electric company is sending you a check every month.

OH SNAP, someone hit me, I think I'm loosing it. LOL
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM

He was just pissed because the car his wife made him buy goes down the road with the exhaust sounding like this, IIIIMMMMMMGGGGAAAYYYYYYY..... It was nice of you to let him see and hear what real manhood was like as you left the station.
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Next time you get a tosser like Mr Prius owner giving you grief ask him is he has any pets.

Strange but true; keeping a pet dog ultimately uses more fossil fuel over its whole life than a BMW 4WD.

More fossil fuel is used making a car than an average one will burn over a normal (I'm not talking classics here) lifespan.

Roger.
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
keeping a pet dog ultimately uses more fossil fuel over its whole life than a BMW 4WD.
They produce a lot of fossil fuel as well, although the useless variety...

Quick Reply: I got harassed by a prius owner today