General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How do you get your motivation back?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Land Yacht Captain

How do you get your motivation back?

So it’s the middle of July now and I have only driven the olds once. And that was just around the block after washing it.

I can’t seem to get motivated to do anything to the car or even take it out to a car show. I think part of the issue is I moved last year so don’t really have my normal group of friends to hit the local cruise ins with.

I’m honestly on the fence about whether to sell the car. I really like the car and think it could be really cool but it’s not really worth putting money into it to “restore”. Plus it’s so BIG it’s hard to work on in a typical modern houses garage. This beast just barely fits!!! LOL

So I thought well maybe I can customize it into something I will enjoy (Lower it, stiffen up the ride, newer larger wheels) try to give it some attitude and get it away from this old man car look. No offence to the old men out there!!

Any ideas?
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:48 AM

This happens to just about everyone in the car hobby and sometimes more than once. Get out to some cruise in's and meet new people, introduce yourself and ask about the local car clubs. You can do it. I was out of the car scene for a long time even though I have owned by 57 since 2000 I only got re-involved with local groups about 4 years ago now I have a large group of car guys to hang out with.

Make you Olds anything you want it to be . Large Olds can be cool

Good luck
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Yeah I got remotivated some this weekend by being a guest at a car club national meet.

These cars are about making friends and having fun. Go do that and they'll motivate you and you them.
Old July 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Administrator

As said above, drive it, go to some local get togethers to meet new people, and work on it when you want. Basically chillax and enjoy it.

I drive mine all the time and fix it when it breaks or I want to upgrade stuff.
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Is the car road worthy? Just do what my wife and I do...

pick a direction and go.

Sometimes on a sunny Saturday we'll just go out and say "Let's see where this road goes." Drive that way for an hour or two (or three or four) and then head home. You would be suprised at the number of people that you will meet and places that you never thought were that close to your house.
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:20 PM

This is a problem especially owning an Olds. I do leave mine in the garage for extended periods of time because I'm just burned out on the old money pit. The other problem I have is I've spent so much money and have improved my car so much and no one even knows what an Oldsmobile is anymore.
The last car show I went to I was parked next to an early 60's Caddy Coupedevill that was lowered on air bags, had a totally horrid black paint job and nothing else, the guy won overall car by popular vote, I was amazed, there where some stunning big dollar cars at this show
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Administrator

I have a close friend with a shop in his back yard. We get together every Sunday and work on something. Sometimes my car, sometimes his, and lots of times on other peoples. We motivate each other and have done some really neat things in the last 3 years. The buddy system works well and having an extra set of hands is a perk also.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM

If you can do and want to modify it, build a bigger garage.
Think about what you want to change. Anything is possible. Not like modifying a W-30.
Low rider, gangster car, hah, even a pick-up.
Sell it and get something else. If you do that though, we need a new land yacht capt.
(maybe the next one will let in 2 door verts as part of the floatilla)
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I’m honestly on the fence about whether to sell the car. I really like the car and think it could be really cool but it’s not really worth putting money into it to “restore”.
All things being relative the question you have to ask yourself is; If I sell it, will I regret it later? No one can answer that but you, but most, including myself, who have sold often have sellers remorse later on. Then again, maybe you just need something new to challenge you.

I feel that any classic car is a money pit period. Unless it is a classic Lamborghini you got 30 years ago when it was just an old car, most will not appreciate in value enough to cover the cost of maintenance let alone restoration.

Make it what you want and enjoy!
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
The other problem I have is I've spent so much money and have improved my car so much and no one even knows what an Oldsmobile is anymore.
The last car show I went to I was parked next to an early 60's Caddy Coupedevill that was lowered on air bags, had a totally horrid black paint job and nothing else, the guy won overall car by popular vote, I was amazed, there where some stunning big dollar cars at this show
Which is precisely why people need to keep and show Oldsmobiles, older Buicks and even Pontiacs to a degree. The last car show I went to had about 80 cars, out of that, 2 Oldsmobiles, a 68 442 and a 67 Cutlass convertible. Among the unusual were a few Buick Wildcats and GS's and smattering of GTO's...
and the rest were Chevy Camaros, Vettes, and Mustangs...BORING!! Unless it is something special I walk past the bow-ties and pony cars without looking more than a glance.

As far as popular vote, well we elect politicians the same way so.........

"During elections, the people get what they deserve" ~Dan Carlin.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:43 PM

I took our cars to a car show on Sunday, first time out this year, went to the Tottenham cruise last week and didn't feel like driving either car and saw that your buddy from Keswick was there. We have a cruise in every Friday night in Bradford and I went once last year and haven't made it this year yet, if you are loosing the interest then get out to a cruise as there is one somewhere every night in southern Ontario, grab your wife and hit the cruise and take her out to dinner. Try it you will like it and maybe the wife will like the shopping mall or you can go shopping while she makes new friends.
Steve
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:46 PM

It sounds like your suffering from depression (maybe from moving and not having your normal group of friends around) and want to find a way out of it.
Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
So I thought well maybe I can customize it into something I will enjoy (Lower it, stiffen up the ride, newer larger wheels) try to give it some attitude and get it away from this old man car look. No offence to the old men out there!!

Any ideas?
Did you already have plans on these mods? Or are they a necessary for a return to sanity? Do it I say! You can keep yourself busy with the tech aspect and get your hands dirty then feel the result from your research and work.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Then of course maybe you just won't be interested in cars for a while. It happens. Just don't sell it. You will regret it.
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:07 PM

You wont ever get away from the old man look. Its a 66 luxury sedan, it never been a "cool" car and never will be. Get a car you really like, dont feel like you need to save the 66 or are obligated to drive it. Something that you feel you need to drive every day. That way you will find time to drive it.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Land Yacht Captain

That's actually my brother in law. He did invite me but it was my birthday weekend and the wife made "surprise" plans. I was bummed.

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I took our cars to a car show on Sunday, first time out this year, went to the Tottenham cruise last week and didn't feel like driving either car and saw that your buddy from Keswick was there. We have a cruise in every Friday night in Bradford and I went once last year and haven't made it this year yet, if you are loosing the interest then get out to a cruise as there is one somewhere every night in southern Ontario, grab your wife and hit the cruise and take her out to dinner. Try it you will like it and maybe the wife will like the shopping mall or you can go shopping while she makes new friends.
Steve
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
All things being relative the question you have to ask yourself is; If I sell it, will I regret it later? No one can answer that but you, but most, including myself, who have sold often have sellers remorse later on. Then again, maybe you just need something new to challenge you.

I feel that any classic car is a money pit period. Unless it is a classic Lamborghini you got 30 years ago when it was just an old car, most will not appreciate in value enough to cover the cost of maintenance let alone restoration.

Make it what you want and enjoy!

I wish I never sold my 1970 442 convertible in 2000 for $10,000. It was my favorite car out of all I have owned and don't think I will ever be able to afford it again the prices have went through the roof. If I were you I would drive it as much as possible, I picked up my new ride a month ago with just over 71,000 miles today I noticed on the way home I am over 74,000 miles. I go to at least one cruise night a week and enjoy BSing with everyone and checking everyone's car out. Both my car and I are happy not to be sitting home in the garage.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I think it's a combination of too many things to do around the new house, 4 kids, lack of funds and a busy work schedule. BTW I work in the training department of an auto manufacturer so it's cars cars cars all day.

oldcutlass: that sounds like a cool arrangement it's always more fun to work on cars with a friend.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I sell cars for a living and the hobby actually helps me break the ice with customers. Everyone loves an old car, they see it and we talk about the cars that bring back old memories for them. They talk about the cars they had or what their parents had growing up.
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
Sell it and get something else.
Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Then again, maybe you just need something new to challenge you.

What they said. Unless you have some deep, cosmic attachment to the big Olds, sell it and get something different. That will certainly jump-start your interest level. My opinion.
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Honestly I think you should drive it. I'm a big "big car" fan and I love that they have the room for people and things. Throw the family in and head to dinner and a movie or dinner and ice cream at a local place it's always good to get everyone out once in a while. Not sure if you have a front bench or buckets but **** if everyone fits why not? Hah I say enjoy for the time being have fun with it and the family while everyone can still he in one car without killing each other.
Also it's a beautiful car if your worried about cash leave it as is or do small little things that make it better to drive... maybe see if one of the kids wants to be dad's little helper you can work on every thing togather

Last edited by SeanMiller063; July 14th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:54 AM

I have felt this way lots of times. I have a regular two car garage that my 72 Cutlass sits in taking up most of the room. I know I have thought about selling it at least one a month or so but I know I would kick myself a year later. So when I get that feeling I just hop in it and take for a quick drive and that feeling of selling it completely goes away. My thing is that I know if I sold it, I would never be able to get another car like it again and I would hate myself for it.
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:49 AM

They said I didn't learn anything sitting in front of the TV, PFFTTT
Old July 18th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Land Yacht Captain

LOL Thats AWESOME!!!