General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Motivation?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Motivation?

How do you guys and girls get motivated to work on your ten year project? My buddy is slow at his body shop and can pretty much paint it anytime. Sometimes I get in a bind cause I don't know how to approach an issue I'm having on the car. Thanks Brian
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gee, that's a tough question. My project is only, lessee now....25 years in the planning and doing....
What motivates me?
Time used to. Now it doesn't
Space used to . Now I don't care how much garage space I use
$$ used to. Still does, that's why I budget
Desire to get it done did and still does.

I guess in the long run it depends on your personal committment to the project. I know 2 things that really helped me.
1. Completion of a milestone in the project (break it up into several milestones)
2. This forum is wonderful. When you start a milestone on your project, start a thread that describes your goals and problems as you encounter them. Document your progress on the site. You'd be surprised how much this motivated me to not only complete it, but do a good job that others can see and comment on.

If you're at the stage of paint? Yes, do it now while he's got time. If he's a really good buddy he'll do the best job for you at the best price. Be there from time to time to photo document the progress. It will help for your cars records and also as proof to your ins co about the condition of the car.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Administrator

It's really not motivation, I drive mine everyday and enjoy it in between projects. It's been a 3 year journey so far. I just plan projects out of whims, necessity, and what the voices tell me.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM

O, I here voices alright, but I don't think I should do what they tell me. LOL
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 69postman
How do you guys and girls get motivated to work on your ten year project? My buddy is slow at his body shop and can pretty much paint it anytime. Sometimes I get in a bind cause I don't know how to approach an issue I'm having on the car. Thanks Brian
my project is 10yrs and rusting .... with VERY limited funds lately mine is on the back burner and there was plenty of times that I thought about selling it along with the extra 455 I have because of this.... BUT , if I keep getting called back into work like i have been lately ill have plenty of money..... 6hrs approx = $300.00 to $400.00

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 19th, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added info
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Aside from the obvious three - time, $, and space I have three more. These kept me going in a 95* garage for 3 months straight, our hottest summer on record.

My main motivator is the desire to drive her... It bothers me not to, so i work in stages to get some driving time in. Of course this will not work on a frame-off, but the thought of driving fun can still be a driving motivator (no pun intended...)

Another motivator for me is the ability to get parts out of my house and onto the car where they belong. I had tripped over the carpet in the living room for 6 months. I lost a toenail on the heater box on the floor in the kitchen. Now the cruise regulator on the kitchen counter for the past 3 years is trying to tell me something...

Also, keeping an updated build thread here is a good motivator. Lets you look back on what you did and what you need to do to finish. You see the ugly dirty crap turn into brand new pieces you can eat off of. Also, those admiring your work who leave replies motivates one to keep posting progress. And the only trutheful way to do that is to keep progressing!

OVerall, the thought of being done is the best. Finish her off and go show her off!
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Even then, It will never be DONE
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I just love to work on cars . My dad started on his project a 1977 pontiac boneville 2 door originally 403 olds powered 12 years ago. He is at that age where getting motivation isn't so easy. In the last 4 years we have made the most progress., i pretty much gave him one of my old engines and transmissions to finally have it running. Every saturday morning i wake up at 6 a.m. to go to his shop and work on it it's so close to getting done for the past 4 years we have slowly chipped away at the to do list. Motivation is not needed when your obsession is cars i dont think i have worked a day in the last 6 years i love going to work everyday i work on cars i play with cars and talk cars life is good lol.
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Official Tire Kicker

While doing my car I just made sure I did at least ONE THING each day, no matter how small. It may have been wire wheeling some bolts and nuts but I did it whether I really wanted to or not. Eventually you get to the point where you start to say "Hey, it's starting to look like a car again!" and that provided me even more motivation.
Old February 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Willidog
While doing my car I just made sure I did at least ONE THING each day, no matter how small. It may have been wire wheeling some bolts and nuts but I did it whether I really wanted to or not. Eventually you get to the point where you start to say "Hey, it's starting to look like a car again!" and that provided me even more motivation.
You know, this really does work for me, too. Not sure why i didn't think of it earlier.
Every piece that is restored is another piece ready to go back on!

If it is too hot or cold outside, find something to do inside that is not too messy or smelly. Like cutting and assembling door panels... I also rebuilt my steering shaft, evap box, and heater box inside, after everything was clean and or painted. I find that the kitchen sink and bathtub are great for cleaning parts! Not for greasy stuff; just dirty stuff.
Old February 19th, 2012, 06:18 PM
wait.... what....

My motivation is driving in a friends car, or going to a show where there are a bunch of cars, knowing someday that i will be driving mine. The biggest factors for me were space, and money. I have the space now but the money thing is still getting in the way lol. My problem is my dad and my friends pickyness, and how everything has to be near perfect has rubbed off on me. I could have probably had the car ready for the road by now, but i don't want to half *** anything, or do something just to get it done to only have to redo it at a later time. I look forward to having it done to the way I want it to be "someday" lol.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Just a few comments...Rob, you certainly can't be married [ bath tub...sink.] Oldzzy...it's good to be ''picky'' [ there are various levels of ''picky'', usually governed by monetary means.]
Lastly, if anyone has any spare motivation, please send some this way.
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM

so i suppose you'd find it odd that i have my engine stand in the kitchen??
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigD
so i suppose you'd find it odd that i have my engine stand in the kitchen??
Only if it is in there with NO engine attached to it!
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bunser
....Lastly, if anyone has any spare motivation, please send some this way.

I've been working for years to develop economical round tuits that I could mass produce.
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I've been working for years to develop economical round tuits that I could mass produce.
Well when you get around to it, send some over!!
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM

The high cost of this hobby steals my motivation. Stuff I bought in 2009 for my 68, is now 30-40% more expensive. A few things I bought in 2009 vs 2012: Timing set $61, now $82. Carpet $109, now $135. Roller rockers, $190, now $225. wire set $63, now $70. MSD hei, $185, now $215. The list goes on. I'd say the increase of parts has exceeded inflation.

I should have bought a set of seat covers when they were on sale last month at legendary. I do have a set of PUI covers to get me by, but seat covers is one thing I don't want to do twice!
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM

I remember when I was about 2 1/2 years into the Silver Bullet at Eastfield CC AutoBody course (4 1/2 years total, there), and painted the tail gate (only) primer, I decided that I W-A-S going to finish the car. So many times I would think, "never gonna' get this thang done", but that day while shooting the primer, I knew I would finish it. Huge motivating factor. I guess you just have to reach it. And others are right, they are never, ever FINISHED! Still in the shop as we speak getting new rear axle/rear end/disc brake conversion kit, 350 A/T to replace the Slim Jim, new Sanden compressor/new condensor, etc. etc. etc. Never stops.
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I hate to say this but if its not done after 10 years its probably not going to get done. Projects should not last more than 5 years. If they do you were probably better off buying a running, driving car that needed very little work. Imagine the good times you could have had driving a car in those 10 years instead of thinking about working on one. Sometimes having a decent car you can drive whenever you like is better than chasing a project car.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Administrator

As I I've said before, car resto is not for the weak of heart or pocketbook. I've seen many a project get punted because of a list of frustrations! Sometimes it's better to purchase something thats already been completed and personalize it!
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I think the market has already done that...

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Every saturday morning i wake up at 6 a.m. to go to his shop and work on it it's so close to getting done for the past 4 years we have slowly chipped away at the to do list.
It sounds a lot like your Dad is your motivation or vice versa on that car. It's really nice to see the close bond you share with him. Your motivation obviously speaks for itself! When you have kids, I hope your enthusiasm and motivation influences them too

Originally Posted by TK-65
Projects should not last more than 5 years.
In an ideal world..... FWIW also consider that some projects aren't the build itself, but little details or dress ups with a fully driveable car
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM

for me it is hard to get motivated especially since i can't even drive it at the moment it would be better if i could drive it while i fix it up but money is too tight for a transmission rebuild right now so i just make sure i go outside and stare at it everyday lol and i look at pictures of it occasionally at work to remind me how awesome it is and that i gotta do something lol i would like to get the transmission fixed first so i can drive it but will probably get the worst of the body rust out of the way first so that it doesnt continue to spread and become even more costly and then i can worry about the trans lol it is a long term headache but in the end i know it will all be worth it and that's what keeps me going
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM

& yes the price is the main thing to keep me down and make it take so much longer. all these ripoff classic car part companies think you have big bucks since you own a classic car so they overcharge like crazy and don't care because you can't really find the stuff anywhere else it's all a huge money business for them and its kind of ridiculous to charge so much for some of the products they sell but just something you have to live with when you own a classic i guess
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM

I save money until I can afford to buy parts and when i accumulate a block of parts where I can complete a scope of work I go at it. I don't have the ability to just do little pieces of work so sometimes my 48 just sets for weeks and I get my old car fix driving my 57 Olds. Helps to have two cars
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I've only been at my current project since last fall but I find that buying new parts before you actually need them and then working towards that install is a great motivator.
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by DreWRoolZ
its kind of ridiculous to charge so much for some of the products they sell but just something you have to live with when you own a classic i guess
Because they know most of those parts are just cosmetic items you really don't need to make the car run and drive. The latter can be had cheap at Rockauto or such. A classic car is kinda like a recreational vehicle - like a boat, RV, or motorcycle. Pricing Harley parts can almost give one a heart attack as well... HD = High Dollar...

Originally Posted by boese1978
I've only been at my current project since last fall but I find that buying new parts before you actually need them and then working towards that install is a great motivator.
In other words install them before they can collect dust on the shelves, or in my case, become PART of the shelves!
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Maybe I'll try that, post progress on the board. One thing that has made me decide to get-r-done is the cost of parts going up as the quality of those parts goes down. Better get it done before the parts are rusted before I get them I realize it will never be done. But at least I can enjoy it for what it is and update parts as it is driven.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
1. Completion of a milestone in the project (break it up into several milestones)
I think Allan's advice is sound.
You need a plan of action, with prices and milestone completion points if you're lost with motivation.
Usually a plan is what keeps people in check and motivated.

This is like walking into a garage filled to the brim with junk and you don't know where to begin.
Sometimes you just gotta dump it all out, and start over with it piece by piece back in place.
You'll be surprised how much more effective that works in many scenarios.

Originally Posted by MX442
Stuff I bought in 2009 for my 68, is now 30-40% more expensive. A few things I bought in 2009 vs 2012: Timing set $61, now $82. Carpet $109, now $135. Roller rockers, $190, now $225. wire set $63, now $70. MSD hei, $185, now $215. The list goes on. I'd say the increase of parts has exceeded inflation.
He's right.
Since 2006 the prices of collector cars has depreciated by probably 50% or more.
On the flip side, I have my 2006 Classic Industries order sheet still for my Camaro's entire interior.
Alot of the smaller things went up over 200% in price in just 5 years when I checked it last year.
That's a straight up no ******* right there too.

Figure that one out, because I can't. The rate of inflation on replacement parts has skyrocketed through the roof.
It's cheaper these days to just buy a completed car in many cases.....but not all obviously.

This is why I tell people that are even REMOTELY considering basket case projects to price out everything first.
That will usually change their mind when they see the prices have skyrocketed out of control.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 21st, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Where were you in '72?

I believe the best way to approach these projects, is to have a road worthy car, it really sucks the motivation out of a project when you can't enjoy the ride as well. Living in a warmer climate doesn't hurt either
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 69postman
This is what it looked like eight years ago:

This is what it looks like after working for eight eight years, one wife (so far) and two newborns:

Motivation enough ?

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM
Gary

I guess what gets me motivated is that I decided when I first got the car in March 07 that I would only work on it on Saturdays. I have kept this committment unless I am off on vacation and then I pretty much work on it everyday. I also stocked pile most of my parts in 07 and now pretty much all are on the car except the interior which I bought from Legendary in Dec 2010.I think I had tied too much money in this project just to let it sit. Another thing that motivated me was watching The Mecum Auto Auction seeing those great looking cars they were selling and just imagining myself building one, but my car wont be for sale. My wife has been amazed at what I have been able to do and will be the first to take a visitor out in the garage to show them what I have done. Its the feel of accomplishment that keeps me going on with it. I have made mistakes along the way but have learned some valuable knowledge and experience. And just as ALLYOLDS68. I know he is sticking his chest out,great looking car.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; February 22nd, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. Looks like I am the first person to say that I need reverse motivation!

If it's a halfway decent day out, I will go out and start taking a car apart.
The problem comes when I'm supposed to be doing something else: working on the house, doing yardwork, making the kid do a school project, making business calls, going out with my wife - whatever! I go out and say, "I'll just do this for half an hour, then I'll do what I'm supposed to do." Next thing I know it's getting hard to see my work because the sun is going down, and I realize that irritating noise I've been hearing is my wife yelling at me .

If someone can tell me how to get motivated to NOT work on the car, I'm all ears!

- Eric
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
Registered car nut

No one answer here. Everybody is different. I love the process. A finished car is nice and nothing wrong with that.
I'm more of a thrill of the chase kind of guy. Others are about the kill.
Whatever works for you. If you really like the car get after it every once and a while. If its not doing it for you get rid of it.
I have limited time and money so it goes in stages because of need and sometimes lack of motivation. I also have a family (#1) and a house and yard that takes away from car project time.

Oh and being ADD and having 4 projects doesn't help. My bad! Sold 1, down to 3 should have them done when I'm 97.

Its like working out, if you slack its easy not to keep working out.
Get out there, force yourself to do some work to it. Then ask if it was fun or a pain?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
And just as ALLYOLDS68. I know he is sticking his chest out,great looking car.
Thanks (I think )

Like you I did it pretty much all by myself. My neighbor was restoring a 67 Mustang Fastback which kept me motivated (he finished 4 years before me). Much of the metal work and mechanicals got done in the first 4 years. Then a new job, moving 350 miles, and the general lack of money put a damper on things for about 3 years. My wife was less than supportive but when she saw that the car wasn't going anywhere she kind of backed off. My deal with her when I bought it was that it was a 5 year project. When it took more than 5 she became a little more sympathetic and eventually paid for most of the paint job with some inheritence money she had.

I enjoy working on them almost as much as driving them. I only have a single car garage now and the 442 only gets in there in the spring/sumer/fall. It's in storage now.

Like a bunch of guy have said already, take one project at a time and try to work on it at least once a week. I've got a list of at least 20 things to do on my car this spring
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow. Looks like I am the first person to say that I need reverse motivation!

If it's a halfway decent day out, I will go out and start taking a car apart.
The problem comes when I'm supposed to be doing something else: working on the house, doing yardwork, making the kid do a school project, making business calls, going out with my wife - whatever! I go out and say, "I'll just do this for half an hour, then I'll do what I'm supposed to do." Next thing I know it's getting hard to see my work because the sun is going down, and I realize that irritating noise I've been hearing is my wife yelling at me .

If someone can tell me how to get motivated to NOT work on the car, I'm all ears!

- Eric
x2 completely.I will take it one step further.My wife finally gets me AWAY from the shop to go out, and I will be looking around peoples properties,while driving, for treasures! I want to stop, buy retreive home and have it fixed before bedShe looks at me and my foot returns to the gas pedal!

Ted
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sammy
x2 She looks at me and my foot returns to the gas pedal!

Ted

OOOOh, I know that look very well!!!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My first girlfriend used to tell her friends, "I never worry if we're walking down the street and his head snaps around, because he's always looking at a car."

- Eric
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:20 AM

All it takes to get me back in the saddle is seeing another classic or musclecar tooling down the road. For example a week ago Tuesday a 65 Goat did a u-turn on Denton Hwy and that was all it took to get the wheels turning. The sound of those Flowmasters was like music to the ears!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I've found that having a little extra money is the biggest motivator.
Hmm.... all the bills are paid, and I'm stocked up on groceries for now.
What should I do with this overtime check?
401 k? bank? Dinner for 2?
Nah! I'll light it on fire and blow it out of this here tail pipe.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Dinner for 2?
Nah! I'll light it on fire and blow it out of this here tail pipe.
I wish I could have took all the money I had wasted on bad dates and put it in the gas tank and cruised. I would have toured all 50 states!!!