General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HEI distributor for a 303

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 05:45 AM

HEI distributor for a 303

I ran across this on Ebay the other day, they claim that they have one for the 303. Anybody have any knowledge and/or information on these? Thanks...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSP-HEI-Dis...53.m1438.l2649

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Morning, I can't find anywhere on that ad that states it is for a first generation engine (303). I don't think that one will work. If you need a pointless ignition you can get a Pertronix setup that uses your old distributor and cap and new guts but other than not having to set your points ever 8 to 10 thousand miles there is no performance gain. Just remember pointless ignition come with there own problems.... Lost in the fifties....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 26th, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:01 AM
same but different

I no nothing about that unit fitting the 303. Contact them and make for sure.

How ever I do know that some companies can put together working and fitting HEI style distributors for engines that never used them. Example an AMC 258. Its nothing more than a chevy 250 unit with the proper amc gear on it. Its a common swap in the jeep world.
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Morning, I can't find anywhere on that ad that states it is for a first generation engine (303). I don't think that one will work. If you need a pointless ignition you can get a Pertronic setup that uses your old distributor and cap and new guts but other than not having to set your points ever 8 to 10 thousand miles there is no performance gain. Just remember pointless ignition come with there own problems.... Lost in the fifties....Tedd
Good morning to you as well, Tedd. I contacted the company and they told me that they had a listing in their catalog for the 303. I also found the listing on their website. I have the 6 volt Pertronix already installed but I am thinking about converting over to 12 volt and would prefer an HEI style over another Pertronix unit. Besides, this is close to half the cost!

Originally Posted by don71
I no nothing about that unit fitting the 303. Contact them and make for sure.

How ever I do know that some companies can put together working and fitting HEI style distributors for engines that never used them. Example an AMC 258. Its nothing more than a chevy 250 unit with the proper amc gear on it. Its a common swap in the jeep world.
As I mentioned to Tedd, I have contacted them and they said that they have one for 303. I was just hoping to find some information from someone other than the seller, someone that has actually installed one in their 303 would even be better.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One word of caution if they do have that distributor is to be sure you have room to install it. The GM HEI is much larger diameter than the old points distributor so you will need firewall clearance. I know on Tri5 Chevies you can't use the HEI because of this. Do they give a cost for the HEI?
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One word of caution if they do have that distributor is to be sure you have room to install it. The GM HEI is much larger diameter than the old points distributor so you will need firewall clearance. I know on Tri5 Chevies you can't use the HEI because of this. Do they give a cost for the HEI?
Yes, they show it at $57.19 ea. and that's another thing that concerns me. Clearance was another issue that I had concerns about, another reason why I had hoped that someone would chime in that had bought one but I can always get the dimensions and measure it myself.
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:27 AM

Be wary of bargain HEI units, especially for the early 1st generation Olds motors. I installed a Summit HEI in my 71 98 and it has been nothing but problems. I should have gone with a Pertronix kit.
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I installed a Summit HEI in my 71 98 and it has been nothing but problems. I should have gone with a Pertronix kit.
The Summit HEI is a Chinese made unit, and what I have read is it's a gamble as to whether they will work properly or not. You can find real GM HEI distributors for cheap. I bought two for $35 each.
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Administrator

That unit will not work on a 303, its for the next generation of V8's. No one makes one for your engine, there is no real calling for it. You may be able to convert or have yours converted to a small cap HEI through companies that specialize in that sort of thing. Most in your model series engine keep the points or go with a points replacement.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:12 PM

I'm wondering if they are looking at a 330 and not a 303. I've never seen a hei for a first generation Old's but I learn something most every day on this site..... Tedd
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:54 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That unit will not work on a 303, its for the next generation of V8's. No one makes one for your engine, there is no real calling for it. You may be able to convert or have yours converted to a small cap HEI through companies that specialize in that sort of thing. Most in your model series engine keep the points or go with a points replacement.
I'm wondering if they are looking at a 330 and not a 303. I've never seen a hei for a first generation Old's but I learn something most every day on this site..... Tedd
https://www.carid.com/tsp/tsp-hei-di...839352545.html

See number 11 in "Engine Type Specific"

Last edited by 1stGrumpy; May 27th, 2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:13 AM
Administrator

I have yet to see a one, but hey if its on the internet it must be true.
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I have yet to see a one, but hey if its on the internet it must be true.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking!
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:17 AM

Looks to me that they have included all the first generation engines never seen one ever on a car. My concern would be if it did not clear the air cleaner or hit the windshield wiper motor. Like I said I learn something everyday on this site.

Something else you might try is use your existing 6 volt distributor with 12 volts and add a ballast resistor to knock it down to 8 volts or so. May run for ever or may not. You might call Pertronix and see if 8 volts would smoke the module.... Tedd
Old June 2nd, 2019, 05:18 AM

Looks to me that they have included all the first generation engines never seen one ever on a car. My concern would be if it did not clear the air cleaner or hit the windshield wiper motor. Like I said I learn something everyday on this site.

Something else you might try is use your existing 6 volt distributor with 12 volts and add a ballast resistor to knock it down to 8 volts or so. May run for ever or may not. You might call Pertronix and see if 8 volts would smoke the module.... Tedd
I talked with Pertronix on Friday, they told me that my 6 volt unit would handle 8 volts without any problems.

I don't think that I want to be the first person to try out their HEI distributor, I was hoping that someone on here might have had some experience with it.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:56 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

IMO keep the points. Rebuild it if needed...bushings mech advance etc. Install a high qual point cond and run it.
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Old(s)GuysRule

Look into "davessmallbodyheis.com" for a possible solution. I don't have personal experience with him as of now but have seen good reviews on this and other forums.