General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ground Strap / Firewall components

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Ground Strap / Firewall components

I am getting ready to populate the engine compartment firewall.
I am sure I will have other questions on this subject but to start.

1. Does the paint need to be removed where the ground strap from the engine block attaches to the firewall or does the start washer pierce the paint sufficiently to get proper ground?

Old June 4th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Best practice would be to completely remove ANY paint from the firewall where the h/w attaches to the firewall; then, if so inclined, you can paint the h/w after installation of the ground strap.
Old June 4th, 2023, 11:41 AM
Running On Empty

I'll embellish a moment. Think of your entire car as one large piece of metal - the largest single piece of metal is the engine block - this is where you will find the greatest density of electrons (comprised in the metal engine block). There exists many pieces of metal in the vehicle & each component which requires a power source requires a ground. Electrons don't (in reality) "flow", they're contained in every piece of metal. However, by convention we refer to electron "flow" as it relates to an electrical "circuit". We say electrons (negatively charged) flow from the battery anode (-) negative terminal to the battery cathode (+) positive terminal - this then completes the electrical circuit. Any impedance of electron "flow" can/will disrupt the ground source of an electrical circuit. Always best to use as much solid metal as is possible when establishing a ground source.
Old June 5th, 2023, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Best practice would be to completely remove ANY paint from the firewall where the h/w attaches to the firewall; then, if so inclined, you can paint the h/w after installation of the ground strap.
^^^THIS^^^

You can also use Fluid Film instead of paint if you burnish the paint off of either end of the ground straps.

https://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-C67.aspx
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:10 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can also use Fluid Film instead of paint if you burnish the paint off of either end of the ground straps.
One of the few products outside of the cosmetic/pharmaceutical industries where lanolin is used to arrest corrosion & block moisture as a water repellent. Lanolin is used in many other forms as well - ammunition solvent, weaponry solvent, etc. Dollars-to-donuts this guy would be happy to contribute to some lanolin production.

Old June 5th, 2023, 06:14 AM

Sheepzilla!🤯
Old June 5th, 2023, 06:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Olds64
Sheepzilla!🤯
That's funny right there!
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Ended up removing the paint and using a dab of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
I would think the star washer would make sense to contact the firewall and pierce the paint.
Since I ground the paint off I opted to put a star washer on the outside of the ground connector thinking the flat of the ground strap would make a better connection.
Thoughts?

Old June 5th, 2023, 08:14 AM

I'm not sure what the OE configuration is.

That being said, the best workman like practice is to put the washer between the body and the ground strap vs. between the bolt and the ground strap. All ground strap contact points should be burnished and free of paint.
Old June 5th, 2023, 08:16 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tkcutlass
Ended up removing the paint and using a dab of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
I would think the star washer would make sense to contact the firewall and pierce the paint.
Since I ground the paint off I opted to put a star washer on the outside of the ground connector thinking the flat of the ground strap would make a better connection.
Thoughts?
The star washer would by OK....just OK. With the small amount of surface area of the star washer making contact "through" the paint...it's just "OK". What you did was to create a far better connection with far more metal (which equates to a greater surface area, more electrons and an extension of the longevity of the connection). Good job.
Old June 5th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Past Administrator

I agree, the star washer seems redundant to the point of un-neccesary the way you put the ring connector next to the firewall. Norm, sounds like you were describing what I was taught as "hole theory" about electron "flow". Is that correct?
Old June 5th, 2023, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Norm, sounds like you were describing what I was taught as "hole theory" about electron "flow". Is that correct?
Dan - Short answer - Yes. Hole theory is an analogy, but it's a very good working analogy to the electron flow of an (externally) induced electrical circuit, such as a battery.
Old June 6th, 2023, 07:02 AM
Past Administrator

I thought I remembered that, it never quite made sense to me why one needed to refer to it as hole flow or electron flow either way. It's all invisible and magic anyway...
Old June 6th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I thought I remembered that, it never quite made sense to me why one needed to refer to it as hole flow or electron flow either way. It's all invisible and magic anyway...
Hole flow is a good analogy, esp. since this most likely isn't the audience to discuss the fundamentals of basic chemical bonds and the applicable scientific equations which define atoms and their electric potential energy. It's a good working analogy for defining electron flow when there is an external electrical current being supplied such as a battery. Voo Doo magic.