General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glue or screw?

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Glue or screw?

Necessity is the mother of invention, but it has a dullard son that makes people use SCREWS DRILLED INTO THE TRIM when something else--perhaps glue--would have worked better in every way.

You can see the screw marks (and screws) on the switches and panel...

The "consensus" of all I've asked are pointing to using adhesives instead of hardware. JB Weld (clear) is the most popular, but when following directions it tells you to "rough up" the surfaces, mix and apply and hope to sweet providence you get it right because once it's set it'll be DONE. For GOOD.

SO, I've used my poorest Photoshop skills on the pics that follow, with possible gluing points circled or indicated...

[As an FYI I meant the BACK of the panel in pic 1, NOT the outside. ]

You can see that the actual attachment "lug" has been broken-off, so if an adhesive like this super-duper one can't do it--and I'm NOT replacing the switches--I'm seeing other, more-frightening "solutions" in my head.

I can see how the former owner resorted to his lesser demons in screwing those panels in. Wait! I could "rope" it in with fishing line! NO! I can use thin-gauge WIRE! Maybe a BOLT and WASHER...
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gotta agree that anyone who would do that to a car must be a neandrathal and carry a baseball bat around to get a date. Definitely red neck material. Would have been better if he just used duct tape.

Not trying to we a wiseguy, but why don't you just get a new or replacement panel to mount the power window switches in? There's gotta be a Delta or Custom Cruiser in a boneyard near you?? And while you're there you can easily get a replacement PW set of switches. I think I threw out about 3 of them a couple years back cause I just didn't need them anymore. Even a decent used one would give you better appearances and mounting options than the one you have now. Maybe check with GMObsolete?