General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A new project for today

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM

A new project for today

New plug wires.....I know not a big project, but hey they at least were cut to fit so they are routed nice. I did manage to tidey up a few other things, give it a good wash and take it to a cruise-in.

This is a quick pic of the new wires before cleaning it up under the hood a little. I really don't care for the Performer manifold. It's ok for a very mild street car, but this 455 doesn't even sound right with it on. And like I expected, I did loose a little in the upper RPM's for sure.
2011-07-09115325.jpg
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can always replace the intake with something you like. Nice looking engine. What the heck did you do to the intake coolant hose? Paint it silver??? Or is that a weld I'm looking at on metal piping? Thermal couple fitting connectors to compensate for torque? I've never seen that done on an upper rad hose.....
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM

The upper and lower radiator hoses are aluminum with silicone hose ends to connect them. I'm really undecided on them as far as keeping them yet.

I do plan on replacing this intake with something else. I think I read somewhere that Edelbrock was making an RPM Air-Gap for the BBO. Is that right? I also want something with no heat risers and large ports to take advantage of the port work in the heads. This was a spare intake laying on the shelf that I've used for the time being to keep the car going while I work out some of the little bugs and get the car set up.
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM

I dig clutter free engine bays. Nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0784.jpg (59.6 KB, 19 views)
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by my72vert
I dig clutter free engine bays. Nice!

Thanks man. Yours is lookin good! I do plan on tearing down the front of the car this winter and finishing everything under the hood (wiring, hinges, master cyl, heater core, blah, blah) and try to find the correct color of paint for the engine.
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM
same but different

Bill, it sure sounds like you are enjoying that car this summer. Nice to hear you are driving that thing...like you should be

Yea, I heard that new intake should be available this summer..like now! Someone said that Summit racing should have them soon. We can hope.
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM

I am definitely enjoying this car! I could not believe the interest this car generated at the cruise-in yesterday. If I can remember, I'll have to give Chummit a call on that intake to see when it should be available. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can take her to the track on Friday.