General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fuel sending unit-

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:51 PM

Fuel sending unit-

Specifically for a 1970 Toronado. Are there crossovers from other Olds? I'm getting half-assed info online and am hoping one of you guys with experience can
share it.
I did test the gauge, which works, as well. So I know it needs the sending unit.
Am still hunting for a good manual, as was pointed out as being necessary for most repairs.
TIA
Old December 2nd, 2019, 04:53 PM

I don't know about the sending unit, but as far as a manual, I would think you would want the 1970 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. Many of these are available at ebay.

Here's just one auction listing, but there are many others. Don't buy a digital/pdf version, and don't buy a reprint. Buy an original. It will be used, but it's not difficult to find one in good shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-OLDSMO...4AAOSwuG9cl~dF

Old December 2nd, 2019, 06:41 PM

You're right about that...

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't know about the sending unit, but as far as a manual, I would think you would want the 1970 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. Many of these are available at ebay.

Here's just one auction listing, but there are many others. Don't buy a digital/pdf version, and don't buy a reprint. Buy an original. It will be used, but it's not difficult to find one in good shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-OLDSMO...4AAOSwuG9cl~dF

I still prowl for a manual.
But it's the sender I need to find to repair the current problem/repair.
There aren't enough owners of Toronados that post links to repairs because they were probably never recorded-it's a Toronado not a 442, Cutlass or 88. Too few made to warrant the attention.
But hey, what do I know?
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:19 AM

Here's a thread on fuel sending unit replacement for a 1968 Toronado.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-unit-70760/

You also might consider sending a PM to one of our members, jaunty75. He is the man when it comes to Toronados.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the complement, but I'm more up on the second-generation Toronados ('71 to '78) than any others. But I think that first-gen Toro owners are in the same boat as other non-A-body Olds owners from that time period. To my knowledge, no one makes either replacement gas tanks or replacement sending units for any pre-1971 non-A-body Oldsmobile. I looked in the '70 service manual, and the '70 full-size cars used the same, canister-style sending unit as the earlier cars, including my '67 Delta 88.

Strangely, the manual doesn't show an image of the Toronado sending unit, so I'm just assuming those Toros used the same sending unit as the other non-A-bodies. I don't know what the '70 Toro fuel tank looks like and where on it the sending unit is mounted (there's no image of the Toro fuel tank in the manual, either), but, if it's on top of the tank as it is for the other full-size cars, perhaps a solution similar to what I resorted to with my '67 Delta would work. I found that the Spectra-Premium FG106 unit, which is available from Rockauto and everywhere else, and which is shown as fitting the full-size '72 Buick and Olds models, is a drop-in replacement for the unit on my '67 Delta. The drawback is that the canister on the original sending unit acted as a damper so that the fuel gauge needle didn't bounce around as the car went over bumps and around corners and the fuel sloshed around inside the tank. As a consequence of this, fuel tanks for those cars did not have internal baffles. The replacement sending unit is meant for tanks that do have baffles, so the gauge needle WILL bounce around a bit while you're driving, but that's a small price to pay to have an actual, functioning fuel gauge.

It may very well be possible to have an original canister unit repaired or rebuilt. I tried this first with mine, but I could never get the float inside the canister, which is basically a hockey puck with a hole in the middle, to move up and down reliably. If it gets stuck, the gauge doesn't work, and you don't want to be dropping the fuel tank every few weeks to free it up. So I went with the not-quite-correct-but-still-works later model replacement. You do what you have to!
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:00 PM

Ty

Originally Posted by Olds64
Here's a thread on fuel sending unit replacement for a 1968 Toronado.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-unit-70760/

You also might consider sending a PM to one of our members, jaunty75. He is the man when it comes to Toronados.
Thanks for that. And I see he replied he's a '71-'78 guy.
The hunt continues. No wonder the guy sold me the car-tough as hell to find some parts. And some are made of unobtanium.
:-/
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:13 PM
Lansing built

You can send the sending unit in for repair to Bob's speedometer out of Howell Michigan. He has been around for years.
https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

Pat
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:16 PM

That's an idea.

Originally Posted by 1970cs
You can send the sending unit in for repair to Bob's speedometer out of Howell Michigan. He has been around for years.
https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

Pat
Have to look at the down time of the car as it'd be taking up a rack at the shop but that's good to know!
Thank you!