General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

FUEL PUMP 425 V8

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Englishman

FUEL PUMP 425 V8

for my 1965 Delta 88.

Need to replace the fuel pump as it's leaking.
Any suggestions other than stock?
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Englishman

Has anybody got a stock Fuel Pump to fit a 1965 425 Super Rocket that they are willing to ship over to UK ?

Can pay via Paypal.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Past Administrator

Dan, I can't say for sure that it is the same fuel pump on later V8s like the 350 and 455 but my local auto parts store has one for the 425. I did a search and came up with this. If you need it I can get one for you and ship it over there.
Dan
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Englishman

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Dan, I can't say for sure that it is the same fuel pump on later V8s like the 350 and 455 but my local auto parts store has one for the 425. I did a search and came up with this. If you need it I can get one for you and ship it over there.
Dan

That's the kid!
I would be forever in your debt if you did that for me.

Do you have a paypal account?
any idea how much it would be to ship as standard delivery?

Simply writing "GIFT" on the package should enable me to avoid paying extra duty.

Diamond geezer.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Englishman

Dan
hold tight on it for a bit as i'm going to attempt to fix this one first. Basically the union on the main line out has been screwed in slightly off centre and the joint is leaking. Going to take apart and try to re-thread.

i'll let you know tomorrow.
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Englishman

PUMP WORKS GOOD!
just went round and resealed every thread and the leak has stopped.

But now desperately need a gasket and the bottom mounting bolt.
Currently using a bit of cornflake box and it's held on with just the top nut.

Are the two thread different?? it looks less tight than the top one!
I have a selection of bolts here but they're all metric and might ruin the thread.
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:25 PM

If I remember correctly 7/16" coarse thread
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

If it is like the later engines (455 and 350) it is mounted with one stud (bottom) and one bolt (top). All you have to do is purchase some gasket material, remove the pump, and make yourself a new gasket. I use permatex and just skim it over the gasket to make it sticky, then I apply it to the pump surface and let it set up. That way when the pump is installed the gasket goes in with it without any trouble. The bottom pump hole is actually a slot and mates up with the stud sticking out of the block. When you place the pump in there you have to ensure that the actuator butts up against the eccentric cog on the end of the camshaft which drives it. You sort of tilt the pump in with the actuator slightly oriented up and as you press the pump in it sets on that bottom stud and you can then install the top bolt. Make sure you start the nut on the stud first, if you only rotate the nut about two turns it should be enough to allow the pump body to slip in under the nut and that way it ensures the pump won't slip as you tilt it in to attach the top bolt. Is this making sense? I hope it helps.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Englishman

If it is like the later engines (455 and 350) it is mounted with one stud (bottom) and one bolt (top). All you have to do is purchase some gasket material, remove the pump, and make yourself a new gasket. I use permatex and just skim it over the gasket to make it sticky, then I apply it to the pump surface and let it set up. That way when the pump is installed the gasket goes in with it without any trouble. The bottom pump hole is actually a slot and mates up with the stud sticking out of the block. When you place the pump in there you have to ensure that the actuator butts up against the eccentric cog on the end of the camshaft which drives it. You sort of tilt the pump in with the actuator slightly oriented up and as you press the pump in it sets on that bottom stud and you can then install the top bolt. Make sure you start the nut on the stud first, if you only rotate the nut about two turns it should be enough to allow the pump body to slip in under the nut and that way it ensures the pump won't slip as you tilt it in to attach the top bolt. Is this making sense? I hope it helps.

that's great thanks. makes perfect sense.
on my engine the top mount is the stud and the bottom is the bolt.

job done!

cheers mate
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Just the facts...

permatex high tack also works great for this. also lightly coat the threads of the bolt, as they go through the block, iirc.

bill
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Past Administrator

Dan, I think that the V8s I am familiar with are like yours. My memory probably didn't work concerning the stud on bottom or top. But as you have said, works out anyway.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Both holes in the block are 5/16 x 18 thread (coarse). The top hole will have a stud in it, with 5/16 x 24 threads on the protruding end, for a fine-thread nut and a washer.