General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM

fuel lines

well i have dropped my car{70 442 pace car} off at a friends shop for a complete body off restoration and have started collecting/ buying all the frame hardware bolts,nuts, clips, brake lines/hoses, trans lines. seems like motor city supercars has most of the correct parts. it seems they only list fuel lines for hardtop models and not convertible? are the standard 455ci/365hp fuel lines the same as the w-30 455ci/ 370hp? are the fuel pumps different? need to buy complete front end rebuild kit and new rear control arm bushings {want to stay with oem rubber}. while i was searching for these i noticed prices for comparable complete front rebuild kits ranging from $175 ish-$475. i do not want junk but i do not want to waste money either. not sure who is making good kits anymore. will be starting a thread in the restoration section next week with pics.
charlie,,,
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM

A word about front end parts - quality is not cheap. Run from the cheapo ebay kits.
If you want good quality stock replacements that fit and last, buy Moog and nothing else. This is a job that you do NOT want to repeat.
I have used Moog over and over for years with no complaints as of yet. Rare from me...
They will be costly, but - is your car worth it? Doing a frame off, and being a '70 442, the answer is yes!
Get them all from rockauto individually - lowest prices I have found and their customer service is great.

For all you'll do, this thread's for you...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post264807
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Randy C.

A good source of supply for mechanical parts and info is Supercars Unlimited. See their web site and catalog at www.supercarsunlimited.com. They don't do chrome or sheetmetal, only mechanical parts. I got all I needed from them for rebuilding my front suspension and brakes on my '68 4-4-2 convertible. The owner, Greg Rollin, is "Oldsmobile smart" and will talk on the phone with you at length regarding your restoration. Fusick is also a great source of supply and you can see their on-line catalog at www.fusick.com.

Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM

Charlie, might I suggest using polyurethane bushings instead of the rubber? They last SOOOO much longer!
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM

thanks for the info guys!!! i have done a couple gm A bodys with poly bushings and though they make the car handle better and more responsive+ last longer. i am going to stay with rubber for the softer ride this time. again thanks for the imput guys
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Get them all from rockauto individually - lowest prices I have found and their customer service is great.
Just an alternative locally.....

Advanced Auto parts is who I use primarily with their constant $20 off $50 or $10 off $25 promotions.
Anything I can't get there, I go to Rock Auto.

Moog bushings are made in Mexico by the same company that makes all others, Clevite Silentblock now known as Tenneco.
http://www.tenneco.com/

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...-a-moog-boxes/

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 9th, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
......., trans lines. seems like motor city supercars has most of the correct parts. it seems they only list fuel lines for hardtop models and not convertible? are the standard 455ci/365hp fuel lines the same as the w-30 455ci/ 370hp? .........,,,
http://www.finelinesinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=268

or

ILT

For the size, AFAIK all 68-72 Olds A bodies used 1/4" return (on models that had a return) & 3/8" fuel lines...

I'm not sure of your car/location, but I have a brand new, never used (still coiled) ILT steel '70 hardtop return line for cheap !

Edit : Errr. nevermind...."Pace Car" ...duh...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; September 9th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Just an alternative locally.....

Advanced Auto parts is who I use primarily with their constant $20 off $50 or $10 off $25 promotions.
Anything I can't get there, I go to Rock Auto.

Moog bushings are made in Mexico by the same company that makes all others, Clevite Silentblock now known as Tenneco.
http://www.tenneco.com/

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...-a-moog-boxes/
X2 , I usually go to Advanced auto or O-Reiley ... they usually have a range of parts from el cheapo to name brands .... not sure how competitive they are on the name brand parts for I have little money and I usually go cheap on repairs , but I would not go the cheap route on a restoration .