General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Frame welds

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Smash

Question Frame welds

This might be a stupid question but is there a way to tell a 72 GM factory weld from a crack repair. I'm seeing a lot of weld drops or the little metal ***** dropped while welding. Just wondering if this is normal or was my frame rewelded for who know why. The motor is out and I'm seeing this in main frame welds near the motor mounts both sides.
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM

You can generally tell the difference between factory welds and repairs based on the overall quality of the welds on the frame. Splatter bb's are not uncommon from the factory and can easily be dressed off with a die grinder if you'd like to pretty it up some. I think the need for frame repairs is not too uncommon and can be accomplished safely provided that there is not extensive rust. I've installed fish plates in the spring perch area under the frame for reinforcement due to cracks as well as gusset patches on the backside of the forward crossmember for cracks on my BB wagon, all structurally sound and very sanitary.
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by smash1972
This might be a stupid question but is there a way to tell a 72 GM factory weld from a crack repair. I'm seeing a lot of weld drops or the little metal ***** dropped while welding. Just wondering if this is normal or was my frame rewelded for who know why. The motor is out and I'm seeing this in main frame welds near the motor mounts both sides.
My experience has been that the factory frame welds can look pretty crappy. I've had cars that not only had the weld spatter/***** but actually had pieces of weld wire sticking out of the weld, where it had been cut off.
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Smash, I owned a '72 442 back in the late 70,s. The frame cracked in the area you describe. I had to have it repaired with a "strap" of metal welded over the crack. I think was the passenger side. I was bummed and sold the car. Still miss it. Wondering if this is a common issue???
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:00 AM

My frame was cracked there as well.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Administrator

I've seen many a crappy looking weld in that area and others from the factory. If the weld and frame looks solid, don't worry about it.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Smash

Thx the welds look solid was surprised by the splatter *****. Showing my newbie cards. Should the factory welds at the mounts be big fat mounded over the seam or more recessed into the seam mine are recessed. Also in 72 were these done by man or machine ? Will post some pics I'm more curious than concerned. Thx
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM

they were done by both,certain parts were built off line then loaded into a fixture and clamped them the machine took over, then there the possibility it was sent to the repair line to be fixed,that would be a person doing that.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
My experience has been that the factory frame welds can look pretty crappy. I've had cars that not only had the weld spatter/***** but actually had pieces of weld wire sticking out of the weld, where it had been cut off.
X2. Here is a welding wire on my W-30 just like Joe mentioned. I told the sandblaster and the powder coater to leave it. The funny thing is, It is not even on a weld. I am sure it is from where the guy just burned off the excess sticking out of his welder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_5990.jpg (72.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
100_5994.jpg (67.5 KB, 39 views)