General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

flowkooler 1775 waterpump gasket #

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM

flowkooler 1775 waterpump gasket #

I have this pump on a 455 but it seems it suits a few olds motors.

Does anyone one know exactly which gasket is needed for this pump?

I called the company and they couldnt tell me. I want to order some but need to know the exact one.

I looked on rock auto for the OEM version and they list 4 gaskets for the HD pump with AC. So im a bit stuck.

I cant purchase these locally, I have to get them from the US. So dont want to order the wrong one.

Any help would be great.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Looks like FelPro 35065 (second photo) is the better fit. The bottom photo is 35059 and doesn't seem to match as nicely.

Old December 1st, 2016, 04:50 PM

Thanks Joe,

It might just be that its a different brand but that one looks different to what I used. I should have taken a photo of the one I used before I put it on. But I didn't. I might just have to go with that one and hope for the best.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:01 AM

Can you get sheets of gasket material at your local auto parts stores? If so, consider cutting your own gasket if the one you ordered doesn't work. You can use punches from a leather working kit to cut the bolt holes in the gasket material once you have the shape right. Hopefully that way you could save on some shipping.

Last edited by Olds64; December 2nd, 2016 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Oops!
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This tends to be a problem, because most gasket sets include three different water pump gaskets, which look astonishingly similar to one another, with no helpful suggestions regarding which one to use.

Even having them in front of you, it's easy to choose the wrong one - you have to line them up and check very carefully.

I agree, from what I can remember, that the FelPro 35065 is usually the one that fits best, but, considering the price of gaskets (cheap) and the price of shipping (not), I'd recommend ordering a few of each, just to be sure.

Or, do as Olds64 suggests, and make your own.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:21 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-CS8171-2
I have the Flowkooler pump and buy this set, a good price and nice to have extra gaskets around.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 07:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The set you posted includes the three gaskets I mentioned (and two of the gaskets that Joe mentioned).

Notice how they have ingeniously scattered the gaskets so that there is no way that you can compare them in the picture.

Here are the three gaskets pulled out of that picture and realigned so that they can be compared. The images are grainy, but you can clearly see the differences if you look closely:

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fel-cs8171-2_w 1.jpg (22.0 KB, 212 views)
fel-cs8171-2_w 2.jpg (21.6 KB, 211 views)
fel-cs8171-2_w 3.jpg (23.1 KB, 106 views)
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you look closely at the photo of the Flowkooler 1775 that I posted, you will note that the coolant channels on the backside are quite a bit inboard from the mounting bolts. The gasket I suggested is the only one that seems to match up with this design. The other ones appear to seal too close to the mounting bolts, potentially allowing a leak towards the top.
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Joe, I used the first gasket you posted IIRC. I could be wrong, nice having different gaskets to chose from and use the one that fits best. Plus the set comes with commonly used gaskets like fuel pump and front timing cover.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; December 4th, 2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Thanks All,

I have a sheet of 1.5mm gasket paper and can make one out of that, Had to do that for the intake gaskets just recently. So no issue in making gaskets, but would like to have a few instock ready to go. I think I will get some of the one pictured. Pity really that the company couldn't just tell me which one actually went with the pump!
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

You would think FK would know which gaskets they supply with their own product - especially since they supply you with more than (1) gasket, as their installation instructions specifically stated to use more than one.

DISCLAIMER - this was circa 1999-2007 - I suppose the WP design could have changed since then.

I can't quite remember if the shape of the gaskets were slightly different from one another, tho' I believe they were, as well as one may have been slightly thicker.

What I do recall 100% clearly, was needing every bit of the extra clearance the extra gasket provided & then some on the last one I did - a 72 Toro 455.

I actually ended up with (3) gaskets as the impeller was hitting the timing cover. Pretty sure I just picked up another stock WP gasket to add to the FK supplied ones.
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat

DISCLAIMER - this was circa 1999-2007 - I suppose the WP design could have changed since then.
Disclaimer warranted. That initial design had an impeller stuck on the back of the normal impeller, sticking out past the sealing surface.

They finally revised the design in the past couple of years and now use a custom aluminum impeller. No more need for multiple gaskets.
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:40 AM

Thanks PackRat,

I had a sneaking suspicion that my flowkooler was one of the older ones. I also remember getting about 4 gaskets in the original box. when I did some work recently I did put a new gasket on and was worried I could hear the impeller just touching the timing cover, which is what prompted this post.

The plan being to pull off the water pump and make sure it had enough clearance. I think my WP is about a 2010 model.

Anyway, I will figure it out, at worst I will just make my own, but I guess I was hoping to go the easy route ( not that easy when you have to wait 3 weeks for a gasket to turn up)

anyway, the car is at this point running fine and there is no discernible metal to metal sound, but I would like to be 100% sure, so it will come off and get a new gasket.
Old December 6th, 2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by flatoz
was worried I could hear the impeller just touching the timing cover
It'll eventually self-clearance.
Old December 6th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Funny about the gaskets.

Years ago, I ended up getting one of these pumps used in good condition with a bunch of other parts, and installed it on an engine.
Fortunately, I always check function when I assemble anything, so I turned (tried to turn) the water pump by hand after I had the whole thing bolted up.
After a certain amount of cursing, a wrecked gasket, an extra gasket, and some very specific grinding on the timing cover plate, it spun freely.

I'm glad it happened with the engine out of the car.

If I'd known at the time that the water pump was known and intended to need a number of gaskets, the process would have been much easier.

- Eric
Old December 12th, 2016, 03:55 AM

When I purchased a FlowKooler (#1576) last year, I found the folks at FlowKooler to be very responsive and helpful. I didn't ask them about gaskets, but they did supply 3 or 4 different gaskets with the pump. FlowKooler doesn't make gaskets, and the ones provided with my pump were FelPro gaskets. I'm certain that FlowKooler has only a couple of different gasket sets, and just provides a set that includes a selection of gaskets that should work with the purchased pump. I got the same water pump gaskets in the FelPro gasket set I bought for the timing cover. I'd think any well-stocked local parts house should have or be able to quickly get these gasket sets (like the set Olds 307 and 403 linked to), even down-under.
Old December 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Well, I've ordered some of the 35065 gaskets, guessing it will take about 3 weeks for them to turn up and will see then. I just bought the water pump gaskets as I have a full gasket set that is only minus head gaskets and now water pump. end of the day if they don't fit, I'll pull out the gasket paper and start drawing.

thanks all.