General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fender Question

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Fender Question

is it possible to remove either fender without removing the hood ? I need to remove fender in order to get the inner fender support off and clean up the rust .... and if anyone could tell me how many spot welds i have to remove i would appreciate it. thanks in advance
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM

No shortcuts remove the hood.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Actually, you can leave the hood on. You'll need to use a prop rod or 2x4 to hold the hood open in the front and then use a section of 2x4 about 12" long that you will place on top of the cowl, under the rear edge of the hood,near the fender, when you unbolt the hinge. That smaller 2x4 will hold the hood up similar to how it would be if the hinge was supporting it. You'll want to make sure the hood doesn't slide on this block. I believe we used to have that block sit on the cowl and then partially up the windshield. Also make sure the front support is firmly in place. If you plan to have the fender off for an extended period of time and the car will be sitting in an area where people or kids could be passing by frequently, them remove the hood to be safer.

Not sure on the number of spot welds to remove that brace but it's probably about 12-14. I think there are 4 or 5 along the bottom, 3 at the top and maybe around 5 along the back edge.
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Nilsson
No shortcuts remove the hood.
X2. I think it would also be a lot safer in the long run especially when you are remounting the fender.
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 69442C
Actually, you can leave the hood on. You'll need to use a prop rod or 2x4 to hold the hood open in the front and then use a section of 2x4 about 12" long that you will place on top of the cowl, under the rear edge of the hood,near the fender, when you unbolt the hinge. That smaller 2x4 will hold the hood up similar to how it would be if the hinge was supporting it. You'll want to make sure the hood doesn't slide on this block. I believe we used to have that block sit on the cowl and then partially up the windshield. Also make sure the front support is firmly in place. If you plan to have the fender off for an extended period of time and the car will be sitting in an area where people or kids could be passing by frequently, them remove the hood to be safer.

Not sure on the number of spot welds to remove that brace but it's probably about 12-14. I think there are 4 or 5 along the bottom, 3 at the top and maybe around 5 along the back edge.
Thanks...... I had the hood off a few years ago and remember how heavy it was , was trying to avoid it , but we will see in a week or so when I borrow my moms garage to take fenders off.... I will post some pics on the process.
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
will see in a week or so when I borrow my moms garage to take fenders off.... .
If you are going to remove both fenders, then the hood needs to come off. If you remove just one fender at a time, you can do as I mentioned earlier.