General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Exhaust Manifold Removal

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Exhaust Manifold Removal

I have a 71' Cutlass w/ 350 and I need to remove one of the exhaust manifolds because I broke one of the bolts that connects the pipe to the manifold. The question is, what can I do to make this easy? Im concerned about breaking one of the bolts in the block while removing the manifold... I really fear doing that. I have been lubricationg the bolts for the last 2 days with penetrator but becasue the bolts point down I dont think it has been working its way down into the threads. What eles can i do to make sure these bolts are good and loose when i start torqing on them? Also becasue of the awkward angle in which the bolts sit what wrench would you suggest i use to torq them to get the best grip to avoid striping or breakage. I was going to just use a 9/16 ratchet.
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Registered

Use a six point socket so you don't strip the head and go for it.
If they don't turn report back for more instructions.

Mine were on since it was built and they came right off with no problem three years ago.
I've never had any problems with those bolts on any old car I've had, famous last words.
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM

Don't forget that if your 9/16 bolts are a little rusty, or rounded then use a metric six point 15mm socket-tap it on gently with a hammer if it is tight...if it is severely rusted use a 14mm socket and a bigger hammer
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Hopefully you won't have much trouble removing the bolts that hold the manifold to the head. The bolts that always seem to cause the most trouble are the ones holding the exhaust pipe to the manifold. I suggest using PB Blaster as a penetrating oil for at least 2 days before attempting to remove the manifold.