General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

This doesn't sound good

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:31 AM
ph_ckstick1

This doesn't sound good

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...ection-program
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Big brother is watching...

The reality is that the law and equipment requirements aren't changing, just the ability to look over the shoulder of the inspectors. This part of the article would concern me more:

The Boston Globe reports that this is the same company that managed emissions testing in the early 2000s that was found to be wildly inaccurate.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:01 AM

More feel good regulations that achieve nothing except to screw the car enthusiast.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by blakes7
More feel good regulations that achieve nothing except to screw the car enthusiast.
How does this "screw the car enthusiast"? The existing equipment regulations aren't changing, only the enforcement is getting tighter. If you don't like the current regs, get the law changed, but this new program doesn't effect that one way or the other.

Are you a member of SEMA SAN? That's a good place to start if you want to change the actual regs.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Administrator

I'm glad my car appreciation ended in 72, and I won't buy a car that has Cali emissions just for this reason. I feel for the people in the hobby that live in states that have these stringent standards. I used to own an 86 AMC CJ7 with a CCC type distributor and stepper carb. When this system acts up there is nowhere to turn as the info on them at dealers is no longer available, parts were hard to come by, so people installed early distributors and carbs. There needs to be an exemption that allows the small number of these to be modified to work circumventing the beating of a dead horse of trying to repair them.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:38 AM

LOL i love it when big brother says you WILL abide by all these rules no matter the age of your car. Some of these parts are no longer available. I am glad i don't live there.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Did any of you guys even read the article? This has nothing to do with emissions testing. This is the annual safety inspection. The issue with needing to retain emissions equipment has been written into the law for safety inspections, but the safety inspection just verifies that the equipment is in place, not that it is functioning. They can't tell if the cat is OEM or has a straight pipe inside of it.

Not that I would ever do that...

And sorry, but I don't agree that we should be allowed to do whatever we want. I have to share the road and I certainly don't want some yahoo with an unsafe modification crashing into me.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Yes I did and to a trained eye the substitution of a ccc distributor and solevac carb are pretty apparent.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:09 AM

I live next door to MA and in all honesty their safety inspections have been less than stellar for a long time.
I'm with Joe on this. I'd rather have a safe car next to me on the highway.
In RI we have some pretty stringent safety inspections and I'm glad for that. It's the &^%$(* drivers who are the problem. There's no safety inspection for idiot drivers.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:26 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Utah is has already started installing cameras or are in the process to do so strictly to keep the I/m Tech's in line. I don't think they care about ride height since it's not uncommon to see a truck jacked up to the moon or some POS Honda dragging oil pan. They also don't care about safe cars here either since the safety inspection goes away next year. Either way I don't see it imposing any kind of threat o the car hobby.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:32 AM

I just object to the cost it forces on the businesses to do the inspections, and the cost to the taxpayers for enforcement. I also wonder of it is monitored by the contractor and they are payed by the infractions they uncover, similar to the red light cameras.
And I have no problem with the states that have no annual safety inspections. Anytime you get in a car you put yourself and your passengers at risk, and have to drive like any car, or driver will kill you.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Wow this is rich about safety inspections saving lives. Got any proof that states that don't have a higher death toll? Really!
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:22 AM

They have been doing that in NY for years, one or 2 cameras in the inspection area. Who's watching the camera? Or is it just for lawsuit purposes. There has to be thousands of inspections being done a day. How do they expect a shop to make money when and inspection cost $39 per year?
Registrations cost on average $150 for 2 year which isn't terrible.They through costs in per county in the lower states so it's about $20 a year cheaper the further north you go. How long do you think the average inspection should take? If they up the cost people would be screaming. So what does and honest shop do? Next thing you know you are changing parts that are good so they can offset their costs.

My sister-in-law used to complain they would charge here an additional $50 to reset her headlights every time she got her car inspected. I told her you're getting off cheap, just pay the $89, the shop needs to make money. Go someplace else you might be doing your front end over.

So it's a double edged sword. As Joe states, I'd much rather them do a proper inspection. They just need to be payed for their services to do the proper inspection not threatened by camera's. I'm also not naive to the fact that there are many dishonest shops out there that would have a blind man slap stickers on windows all day if there was not some regulation.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Who's watching the camera?
Nobody.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:59 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Did any of you guys even read the article? This has nothing to do with emissions testing. This is the annual safety inspection. The issue with needing to retain emissions equipment has been written into the law for safety inspections, but the safety inspection just verifies that the equipment is in place, not that it is functioning. They can't tell if the cat is OEM or has a straight pipe inside of it.

Not that I would ever do that...

And sorry, but I don't agree that we should be allowed to do whatever we want. I have to share the road and I certainly don't want some yahoo with an unsafe modification crashing into me.
DID YOU READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is my 86SS that is lowered 2" unsafe..?
or my 70c-10 that is lowered 4/6" ?
both will now fail..

Add efi that removes much of the oem emission parts.. 100x cleaner, but you fail..

Again.. you did not read it.. and don't understand that every state with the easy pass tolling this is coming to..
As the photo's are to match the vehicle with the sticker to bag the owners that block the plates, I'm fine with that.. but not fine with
my cleaner running than factory cars failing because some fool with no clue wrote the rules, nor is a lowered car or truck or raised one unsafe.
oh you added disc to the front or rear.. got a dot # for these on this model.. no fail..

oh you added a front clip from a 2nd gen f body to your 50's car/truck.. fail..
your post is short sighted.. very short sighted.

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; September 5th, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:43 PM

How does this "screw the car enthusiast"? The existing equipment regulations aren't changing, only the enforcement is getting tighter. If you don't like the current regs, get the law changed, but this new program doesn't effect that one way or the other.

Are you a member of SEMA SAN? That's a good place to start if you want to change the actual regs.
I've no idea what Sema San is, and I do not live in that state. I just don't like forcing a business to eat the cost of an intrusive system so they can watch like Big Brother. You may not have someone watching too often, but you never know. And you never know what else they may notice, and then you get busted for that. If smoking in the workplace is banned, and the owner who works there by himself gets turned in. Just an example. Does a shop owner have to explain to law enforcement everything he does every day because big brother is watching?
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by blakes7
I've no idea what Sema San is, and I do not live in that state. I just don't like forcing a business to eat the cost of an intrusive system so they can watch like Big Brother. You may not have someone watching too often, but you never know. And you never know what else they may notice, and then you get busted for that. If smoking in the workplace is banned, and the owner who works there by himself gets turned in. Just an example. Does a shop owner have to explain to law enforcement everything he does every day because big brother is watching?
I'm no fan of big brother, but that camera system has nothing to do with "screwing the enthusiast" unless by "enthusiast" you mean "someone who wants to be exempted from the law during inspections". One more time, this proposal doesn't change one part of the inspection law. If someone doesn't like what it says, they should change that law, not complain about this one.

And if you care about protecting your rights as a motorist or auto enthusiast in ANY state, you should get an idea of what SEMA SAN is.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...tpage&g=semaga
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:36 PM

I'm no fan of big brother, but that camera system has nothing to do with "screwing the enthusiast" unless by "enthusiast" you mean "someone who wants to be exempted from the law during inspections". One more time, this proposal doesn't change one part of the inspection law. If someone doesn't like what it says, they should change that law, not complain about this one.

And if you care about protecting your rights as a motorist or auto enthusiast in ANY state, you should get an idea of what SEMA SAN is.

Joe i would throw that law so far down the crapper hole you would have to find it on the other side of the planet. Hows that for plain and simple. I am glad you guys think you need stupid laws keep them in your state please.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Wow this is rich about safety inspections saving lives. Got any proof that states that don't have a higher death toll? Really!
I don't see one post in here claiming that safety inspections save lives. I am, however, glad they exist. Granted, they don't take care of the unsafe driver but,for the most part, they do take that idiots unsafe vehicle out of the equation. Just because someone wants to scab their junk together or not fix it, doesn't mean I want to drive around them when their junk looses a wheel or whatever on the freeway.

Last edited by Olds64; September 6th, 2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: No cussing please.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:17 PM

What about a shop owner who smokes in his own shop? What if he has some other peccadillo that Big Brother may report him on? Must a shop owner be paranoid? Must a shop owner be forced to lay out over $5000? What if he is just getting by? It's too much intrusive big government BS, and I stand by what I just wrote.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM

I really don't think anyone will give a damn about a shop owner smoking in his shop. Furthermore,if a shop owner is just barely getting by, maybe he should rethink his business plan.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:43 PM
72 Olds CS

i live in mass, im sure there are some shops that will pass a lot, there might even be some sticker counterfeiting as well. Im pretty sure that most cars on the road pass the inspection legitimately and the enhanced aspects are unwarrented w the possible exceptions of the boston and springfield areas. so if thats the case why not just go after the problem rather than add another layer of bureaucracy and cost?
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
why not just go after the problem rather than add another layer of bureaucracy and cost?
The government can't do anything efficiently.

Apparently taxpayers in MA want this legislation, that's why their congress in Boston passed it. Or maybe it's just a case of government kowtowing to lobbyists...
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by gear head
I don't see one post in here claiming that safety inspections save lives. I am, however, glad they exist. Granted, they don't take care of the unsafe driver but,for the most part, they do take that idiots unsafe vehicle out of the equation. Just because someone wants to scab their junk together or not fix it, doesn't mean I want to drive around them when their junk looses a wheel or whatever on the freeway.
Post like yours is why i posted and others were leading up to the need.Don't drive and get yourself a self drive car if you are that worried about someone's car and sell your olds! LOL Cars malfunction all the time because it is a machine and they fail. Why are you the judge or jury of what is safe. Looks of a car doesn't mean it is unsafe.This law is made to get more money for the state with these state inspections and you fail to understand that. JMO The only time a car here gets looked at for a inspection is when it comes from out of state.
Old September 7th, 2017, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
LOL Cars malfunction all the time because it is a machine and they fail.
That is a perfect example of why a safety inspection is valid, you are obviously way too smart for me.

Now, If you will excuse me, I'm going to get into my Google self driving car and go to work.
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by gear head
That is a perfect example of why a safety inspection is valid, you are obviously way too smart for me.

Now, If you will excuse me, I'm going to get into my Google self driving car and go to work.
I like how you dig bug crap out of the fly paper. Yes you need a inspection of yours i don't. I don't need government in my car hobby like you do! JMO

Last edited by wr1970; September 7th, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:35 AM

C'mon!