General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does anybody know.

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
kwz

Does anybody know.

I have a 69 442 convert. that I am restoring. In looking at photos of other 442's I notice that many only have a mirror on the driver side. Was the pass. mirror an option. Also could you order the car with a sport mirror similar to the Hurst mirrors. I am also curious about the antenna. Some pics. show it in the back and others on the front pass. fender. Others show no antenna which I assume means a power antenna or it was simply shaved.My car had 2 sport type mirrors when I bought it . Probably not correct. Is it 1 or 2 mirrors and where is the proper location for a non power antenna?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:37 PM

I have a 69 442 convert. that I am restoring. In looking at photos of other 442's I notice that many only have a mirror on the driver side. Was the pass. mirror an option.
=================
Correct. Law requires a LH mirror, the RH is optional.

Also could you order the car with a sport mirror similar to the Hurst mirrors.
===============
Yes, with the H/O pkg
That's the only other mirror pkg I know of for the '69 A-body. There is a remote control vs manual LH version. Beware the similar 70-72 chrome mirror which looks similar but does not fit the 68-9 model doors correctly. I have those PN's if you need.

I am also curious about the antenna. Some pics. show it in the back and others on the front pass. fender. Others show no antenna which I assume means a power antenna or it was simply shaved.
==============
Std stick antenna mounts in the aft end of the RH front fender. Power antenna, as in my '68 Convert, is in the RH rear fender. Not sure if that's a convert vs closed car thing or what... No antenna probably means NO RADIO, which was entirely common back then. FM was pretty damn rare for an A-Body.

My car had 2 sport type mirrors when I bought it. Probably not correct.
==================
Probably not. Got photos of these mirrors?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
kwz

Thanks for the input. The old mirrors are certainly not correct for 69. I know reproductions are available @ Year One, Fusick and OPG. Anyone better than the other or should price be my guid.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Randy C.

I got left and right side reproduction manual mirrors from Fusick and they appear and fit just like originals. Note that the passenger side mirror only came in the "manual" type shape, despite the picture in the '69 glove box accessories catalog that appears to show a matching passenger side remote style mirror.

Randy C.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
Law requires a LH mirror, the RH is optional.
True for that model year. For the younger members of this forum, outside mirrors were not required ANYWHERE until the mid-1960s. The driver's side outside mirror was a $5 option on my 62 F-85 wagon.