General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Do it yourself book

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Do it yourself book

Does Chilton Make one for the 69 Cutlass? I can't find a book anywhere in the vastness of the internet.

If I had one, it would keep me from cluttering up this site.

However, I did find on this site why my car doesn't start as well after it's been running for awhile...the started gets overheated...Thanks Classic Olsmobile.com!

Now if I just had that book, I'd be able to figure out how to fix it.

Starters are such a pain to get to, esp if the only tools you have is a socket set.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rhett838
Does Chilton Make one for the 69 Cutlass? I can't find a book anywhere in the vastness of the internet.

If I had one, it would keep me from cluttering up this site.

However, I did find on this site why my car doesn't start as well after it's been running for awhile...the started gets overheated...Thanks Classic Olsmobile.com!

Now if I just had that book, I'd be able to figure out how to fix it.

Starters are such a pain to get to, esp if the only tools you have is a socket set.
Chilton/Haynes books are not worth the money. Get a factory Chassis Service Manual for your car.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Oldsdruid

The best you'd find in a Chilton or Motors would be a 1969 Professional Trades Edition, but even that covers every 1969 American car built and does not go into much detail on specific makes/models. I wouldn't even waste time with a Haynes.

Get a factory 1969 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual and a 1969 Fisher Body Manual. You won't get better than what the factory published to service these cars. You may be able to find them on CD and just print what you need as you need it, but I keep hearing CD versions scan quality is not good.

If you're gonna work on cars, you need to go visit Sears and catch tool sales, or you can get a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight or Northern. You can even get decent tools at yard sales or flea markets.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Past Administrator

rhett, welcome to CO. X2 for the factory service/chassis manuals, I got mine from ebay, vendors there quite often.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Definitely get the Factory Service Manual and Chassis Manual. I got mine at Fusicks. I am pleased with the quality.

Chilton's manuals are only useful for newer cars IMHO. I have one for my 2003 VW Beetle. It is handy.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Oldsdruid

Chiltons, Motors and Glenns were actually based off the factory service books and generally include a lot of the same info, pictures and diagrams as the factory books. The kicker is that by covering so many different makes and models in one book, they can't possibly go into the same detail as the factory service literature. That's why it's best to get the factory stuff.

At one time my goal was to have all the factory service publications for each vehicle I owned.

All of a sudden the collection covered 1950-1987, and I find myself looking at even older stuff. I even bought two 1930s Olds centerfold ads at GM Carlisle last weekend, and a 1960 centerfold that states "Olds is the car that rockets you out of the ordinary!"

They're gunna look awful nice matted and framed and hung on the wall...
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

One of the previous owners bought an assembly manual. It was in a box in the trunk. Problem is some pages are missing and some can't be read. It's neat, but kind of useless.

I'm trying to hook up the 3 gauges at the bottom of the dash...temp/pressure/amp. I don't know if this cluster of gauges is an aftermarket addition or what.

I want to hook them up b/c I just got finished dealing with alternator issues, and now I think the engine is running a little hot (is that b/c it's 103 here in TX?). I just want a little peace of mind ya know?

I'm wondering if I should change the thermostat??? I might do it regardless, b/c I want to learn how to do it.

Thanks for all your input!!!!
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
All of a sudden the collection covered 1950-1987, and I find myself looking at even older stuff. I even bought........
Be careful Glenn. That's how it started with me, too...........
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM

X 3 or 4

Just to clarify here. The Asssembly manual that's in a a box sounds like a Xerox cc of an assmebly manual that are sold on flea bay everyday with differnent degrees of completeness and readability.

The Factory Service [or Chassis Service manual] also sold on flea bay [Fusick's ] and other sites is night and day to what you've got in a box. Also repos of the Body by Fisher manual are avaliable.

Don't let a poor Xerox cc of an Assmebly manual shy you away form quality books. They are Priceless.

FYI The 3 gauge cluster below the dash is aftermarket. In 69 you got a choice of idiot lights or the $$$$ U 21 Rally pac/tic toc tach.
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM

You can never have enough information. Last year I went shopping and I bought an original used but good 69 Cutlass service manual for $50 at the Iola, WI Old Car Show, I bought the Fisher Body Manual (Good Quality Repo Paperback) and Copy of the Assembly Maual (Copied Pages That I needed to supply a binder for) from OPGI which were both good print. I use all three of them for various projects. Any one of these resource will not cover all topics or issues that will come up while working on your cars. Then after buying all those manuals the internet is still one of the more valuable tools I use for research, or just for moral support by asking questions to all you good folks.

Regards,
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile guages

I put the 3 guage cluster on my 69-98 and it is pretty easy to do.If you need advice send me a PM and I'll help you out with how I did mine.