General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The fun of doing something yourself

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM

The fun of doing something yourself

After discusion about the Barret Jackson Auction I am caught between being happy about the $ brought in by the olds cars and the fact that these cars are something the majority of us would not do with our Olds. I could not devote enough time to a car (if I had a numbers matching W-30 convertible with a 4 speed) to get it in that type of condition to sell. I would lose that time in my life to have somebody get the enjoyment out of something I put all my time an energy into making perfect. Like all of you I enjoy working on my 72 olds Cutlass Supreme which I paid $8500 for because it was from California and rust free. I Have put a lot of time and effort into this car because I am picky and like to pay attention to detail. My point is I can drive my car and be proud of it where the guy with the 170,000 dollar W-30 has to keep his in the garage or he will start loosing money on it because of potential scratchs by dust particles. I like kicking the crap out of those Mustangs,Camaro's and Dodges but you can not do it with your car sitting in the garage.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Registered Luser

Point taken but, 99% of those cars at BJ aren't restored by the owners like you and me. The "owners" of those cars pay somebody a large sum of money to do all of that work for them! Therefore, they don't have that "bond" with the car you have with yours. Most of those people buy and sell "those" cars for investment or sport.
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I restored my '70 442 to original driver condition ...

Factor in factory parts ...
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by tim72
After discusion about the Barret Jackson Auction I am caught between being happy about the $ brought in by the olds cars and the fact that these cars are something the majority of us would not do with our Olds. I could not devote enough time to a car (if I had a numbers matching W-30 convertible with a 4 speed) to get it in that type of condition to sell. I would lose that time in my life to have somebody get the enjoyment out of something I put all my time an energy into making perfect. Like all of you I enjoy working on my 72 olds Cutlass Supreme which I paid $8500 for because it was from California and rust free. I Have put a lot of time and effort into this car because I am picky and like to pay attention to detail. My point is I can drive my car and be proud of it where the guy with the 170,000 dollar W-30 has to keep his in the garage or he will start loosing money on it because of potential scratchs by dust particles. I like kicking the crap out of those Mustangs,Camaro's and Dodges but you can not do it with your car sitting in the garage.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-jackson.html
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM

We put a lot of proud effort into our cars. I do not see a lot of vintage olds or muscle cars on the road during the summer. When I do see one I usually get close to an accident trying to look. Car people are like boat people very friendly and always wanting to help if needed.
Old April 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
is Fast Enough ...

This contest is for do it yourself restorations ...

http://www.restorationchallenge.com/projects/index/page:4

They should take the winner and make him do any of the steps he says he did ...

We need more Olds in this contest ...
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile NOT

Nice to look at some of these resto's but for a guy like me not a place to show my work. I am painstakingly slow getting things done and my girlfriend says I am picky I could only wish to have some of the expertise of some of these guys who do this all the time. I will be happy to be able to drive my Olds around and have folks admire how it looks. I wouldn't mind kicking some of these young punks that fix up crap like Kia's and Hyunda's to look like they they are fast but mostly stock motors just looking pretty. I found last year my biggest problem is that if I step on it a little too hard I smoke the rear tire and lose traction. It may be a boat but I went from 60mph to 110 in a surpising hurry.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

[quote=wolfman98;76541]quote]
I wouldn't mind kicking some of these young punks that fix up crap like Kia's and Hyunda's to look like they they are fast but mostly stock motors just looking pretty.

LOL!! I know exactly what you mean, I can sit in my driveway and hear these lil 4cyl wing cars with the big huge turbo muffler hanging out the back, first i hear thier BOOM BOOM,,BOOM BOOM BOOM, radio then its 7000 RPMs of ricer turbo muffler. I sit and count the seconds, all that RPM and noise and they made it about a half a block up the street.

I myself dont beleive in trailor queens or cars wasting away in a climate controlled garage somewhere. I have built many many old classic cars valuing in the 10s of thousands of dollars and I drove / drive them everyday,RAIN SNOW SLEET OR SHINE. If I put all that time and money in a old car i'm going to drive it and enjoy it. Besides, think about this real hard, It cost $30.000 for some new piece of crap plastic mobile mini van or SUV these days, and thats with nothing on it, some of these new cars and esspecially the (SO CALLED) new muscle cars cost $50.000 and more. If I had 50 grand Id go Buy 5 old classic cars in awesome condition and drive a differant one everyday. I dont own a car newer than a 1985, if i cant pull the computer and pollution out of it I dont want it. Besides I like to be able to work on my vehicals and not take them to a shop or dealer so they can replace $1000 worth of computer sensors and still its not fixed, knoqw what I mean. I got a computer in my house dont need or want one in my cars.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I heard some kids talking about how you should order the upgraded brakes since the rice grinders are pretty fast.

I butted in and said that brakes are overrated .

They looked at me like I was nuts .

I told them that (at the time) I drove a F250 and if I had to stop fast I just slammed into Hondas' an Toyotas'.

Last edited by mugzilla; April 23rd, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Captain of my ship

Brakes

After taking apart my front end , heavy chrome bumper , inner steel bumper , 4 heavy duty steel bumper brackets that attach to the solid steel box frame my only concern would be how to fix the scratches in the bumper after I pry off the rice burner
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM

LOL at the replys about the ricers,LOL!!

I smoke those lil ricer wing cars all the time in my wifes 305 Caprice station wagon,LOL!! And you know those lil ricer cars arnt light wieght at all, all those electronics and pollution junk wieghs alot, some of those lil cars are like 3500 pounds, and with a 4 cyl pulling it how can it be fast,LOL. they have to use NOS just to try and keep up with a HO V8
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I find that the Yotas' slow you down a bit faster ...