General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Did my starter just die?

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Rob is right.

I vote for dirty connections between the battery and the starter, including the ground wire.

- Eric
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Runner

Well, I didn't have a voltmeter yet so I sat under my car and looked at things. I then went to the top to check out the wires. I jiggled them around, especially the one in the picture. I tried to start the car and to my surprise, she cranked right up! I just got done taking a 10 mile cruise! The good news is, I can drive the car again. I definitely need to replace the wiring.

So, where does one get the correct wiring? It looks like this one splits up?

52qRG.jpg

Thanks to all the help everyone has provided. You guys saved me again!
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Looked like someone did a hack job to put in the HEI.
You can get factory harnesses from American autowire (through rackauto), but you can replace it yourself with individual wires, quality terminals, a soldering iron and heatshrink tubing. If youd rather not do it, find a friend who is handy with that stuff and get him a case of beer or such....

To find the culprit, try tugging athe wires at their terminations. IF one pops out, thats it. It happened to me once on the Harley - battery cable came right out of the terminal at the starter.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Runner

Well, it looks like I have the opposite issue now. I drove my car yesterday and then I couldn't get the engine to turn off!!

I think it is my ignition. When I finally got home, it took some strange combo of unplugging the battery, turning on the lights, and then turning the key to shut it off. Possibly a ground issue?

I would try out more things to figure out exactly what shuts off my car, but I don't want to just run it in my garage and maybe over heat my engine or something.

I started a new thread about all this: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...top-issue.html

Old cars... always something new haha