General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Delta 88 Door Glass Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Delta 88 Door Glass Weatherstripping

Anybody know where to find the weatherstrips that go on the door glass of a Delta 88 hardtop?

I am referring to the seal that is attached to the edge of the back door glass and seals against the front door glass. I've searched some and haven't really been able to find it.

Thanks!

door_weatherstrip.jpg

Last edited by AZ455; January 13th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Hey AZ455: Try U.S.A. Parts Supply. Here's the link to their 1941-1975 Catalog.
http://www.usapartssupply.com/upload...75_catalog.pdf
Look for pages 81-90.

Good hunting.
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by AZ455
Anybody know where to find the weatherstrips that go on the door glass of a Delta 88 hardtop?
If you don't find them at Jaybirds site, Steele Rubber Products has it. I searched using 1974 Olds and found them no problem. You basically follow a drill down menu on the left side to find the parts you're looking for. Item 70 - 1810 - 80 and cost 48.10/pr.

Here's Steeles site link: https://secure.steelerubber.com/search_frameset.php
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Thanks guys. I'd never been to either of those sites, I knew someone here would know where to look!
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Thumbs up

Well found it from both places. P/n S20.175S1 from USA Parts Supply.

They are within $5 of each other. Thanks again.
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well found it from both places. P/n S20.175S1 from USA Parts Supply.
They are within $5 of each other. Thanks again.
Very welcome (sure I can say that on behalf of Jaybird too). Can you please describe and show pics of your work as you replace it? I have 2 that need to be done on my Cutlass . I'm under the impression that I need to take off the chrome channel to get the rubber part out (it's reinforced with steel too and I believe it's glued in). I think the chrome piece comes off by gently tapping the rear surface with a small block of wood?? Would you be my gunea pig? Oooops, forgot to say Plllleaassse??
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM

Glad we could help. That's the fun of this site!

BTW... I pay Allan R to pimp me! I help him as well!

Allan R's site is here... www.allanristhebest.com

Free plug! No problem!

Don't come back to me, if you have trouble accessing his site. It is very exclusive!

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; January 13th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by Allan R
Very welcome (sure I can say that on behalf of Jaybird too). Can you please describe and show pics of your work as you replace it? I have 2 that need to be done on my Cutlass . I'm under the impression that I need to take off the chrome channel to get the rubber part out (it's reinforced with steel too and I believe it's glued in). I think the chrome piece comes off by gently tapping the rear surface with a small block of wood?? Would you be my gunea pig? Oooops, forgot to say Plllleaassse??
What you described sounds the same as what I was thinking.

I will gladly take pics as I go and be the guinea pig, that is, unless you beat me to it. It may be a little bit of time before I get to it (spring? maybe sooner). Were you planning on tackling yours in the near future?

I am always making lists of stuff I need (want) in advance. I'm usually not ready to buy them when they go on the list, but one by one, they get bought...

This project I may actually be able to speed along, my wife hates how air leaks from between the front and rear windows when we take the Olds anywhere, so that might just work in my favor.
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jaybird
BTW... I pay Allan R to pimp me! I help him as well!
Allan R's site is here... www.allanristhebest.com
Free plug! No problem! Don't come back to me, if you have trouble accessing his site. It is very exclusive! Jaybird
Are you kidding me??? Even I can't get into that exclusive site no matter how hard I try. I did manage to get into yours however: www.Jaybirdruleswindsorontario.ca Do NOT open this link in front of your wife, children or small animals....Also, turn down your sound... Another shameless plug for us wierdo's.

What you described sounds the same as what I was thinking. I will gladly take pics as I go and be the guinea pig, that is, unless you beat me to it.

This project I may actually be able to speed along, my wife hates how air leaks from between the front and rear windows when we take the Olds anywhere, so that might just work in my favor.
Well you never know. I have the new quarter glass downstairs in the basement. Maybe I could start on it 'early'. If it works like I described, I'll take pics and lead the way. I really can't imagine it will be much different for your car - just a different model. Principle should be exactly the same.

WHY? Why would you want to make the car quiet so your wife could talk your ear off? You'd be driving down the road looking and sounding like a bobblehead - yes dear, yes dear, uh huh, yes dear..... You could always just install a USB port in your car and let her listen to her IPOD. Wanna drive her crazy??? Try this. While you're driving one day, turn and look at her. "Mouth" the words instead of saying them. Not responsible for what might happen after that....
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM
1974 DELTA 88

WHY? Why would you want to make the car quiet so your wife could talk your ear off? You'd be driving down the road looking and sounding like a bobblehead - yes dear, yes dear, uh huh, yes dear..... You could always just install a USB port in your car and let her listen to her IPOD.
LOL!!! I hadn't thought of that happening if I made the car quieter, but I can see it being true! As for the IPOD, she'd be out of luck there, the car only has an AM radio and one working speaker right now.

Wanna drive her crazy??? Try this. While you're driving one day, turn and look at her. "Mouth" the words instead of saying them. Not responsible for what might happen after that....
That I might have to try!
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
1974 DELTA 88

So have you guys had any experience with Metro Moulded Parts? I found these for my car:

http://www.metrommp.com/metrocart/de...del=DELTA%2088

They are almost half the price of Steele and USA Part Supply's products, which makes me wonder, why so cheap? But I did some searching here and they seem like a decent product, I just can't believe the price difference, I thought I had looked up the wrong part at first.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

.....the car only has an AM radio and one working speaker right now.
Have you thought about putting in a 'retro' stereo that will look oldschool but have all the conveniences of AM/FM Stereo, cd and USB ports?
Have a read through this thread. It has some interesting info about upgrading in car sound: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ket-radio.html
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So have you guys had any experience with Metro Moulded Parts? I found these for my car:

http://www.metrommp.com/metrocart/detail.cfm?ModelNumber=VS%203-Y&VehicleYear=1974&Make=OLDSMOBILE&Model=DELTA%208 8

They are almost half the price of Steele and USA Part Supply's products, which makes me wonder, why so cheap? But I did some searching here and they seem like a decent product, I just can't believe the price difference, I thought I had looked up the wrong part at first.
Sorry, didn't see that until after I posted. I haven't used Metro or bought from them, but I know someone who has. Ask https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y72nrob71.html on this site.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Those radios are pretty cool, I didn't know about them. I may consider that in the future.

I read Rob's post about Metro, I actually found several about them. Decided to give them a shot since the price is right. I have some other expenses right now, dental work... Just got a crown today, got one more to go. Had issues a few years ago from neglect and my wife has been bugging me to go get things taken care of for a while now so I don't loose more teeth.

I will take pics when they arrive, of the parts and the install. After looking at the car today, it looks like the chrome should stay on the window and you just pull the old weatherstrips out and slide the new ones in. Tomorrow I am going to goto the auto parts store and pick up some adhesive. I don't think they will need much, it seems like a pretty snug fit. I'll probably just put a dab at the ends to make sure they cant work their way out somehow.
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Queen is amused....

I have some other expenses right now, dental work... Just got a crown today, got one more to go. Had issues a few years ago from neglect and my wife has been bugging me to go get things taken care of for a while now so I don't loose more teeth.
A crown you say? You must be feeling Regal. The only time I feel like I'm Royal is sitting on my own Throne

Yeah, crowns - the dentists answer to service shops price gouging. I have (are you ready??) 8 of them. I know exactly what a Royal PITA it can be. Makes you appreciate the value of putting money into your car to extend it's lifespan too.

Just think, you'll go from looking like Austin Powers with bad teeth (oh beeehaaaavveee) to

Austin Powers with good teeth. Ya, shagadelic baby....
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Funny you say you have 8 of them, the dental assistant told me the same thing, and showed them to me. All gold.

As for feeling Regal, that sure doesn't describe it... maybe after my next one in a week.

I don't know if I could afford to go through the tooth transformation that Austin Powers went through... I'll be happy not loosing any more.
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
1974 DELTA 88

To prevent this thread from dead ending, here is a link to my installation.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-pics.html
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Funny you say you have 8 of them, the dental assistant told me the same thing, and showed them to me. All gold.
Not me, all porcelain with precious metal core. I figured that if I had to get them done, might as well match the ones that still looked good.

Lucky for me I still have a good health care plan. The cost of crowns up here was 1500.00 each. I paid half
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Not me, all porcelain with precious metal core. I figured that if I had to get them done, might as well match the ones that still looked good.

Lucky for me I still have a good health care plan. The cost of crowns up here was 1500.00 each. I paid half
That's the same kind I am getting. I'd rather they match also.

My dentist is giving me a 30% discount because of lack of insurance, which cuts them down to what you paid, around $750. Still steep, as you know.