General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass W29 car or not?

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2020, 12:54 PM

Cutlass W29 car or not?

Hi all, new to the forum, Just bought myself a 1971 Cutlass S that I plan to restore. I am trying to find some history on the car to find out what factory options it came with. I know a little bit about these cars but by no means am I an expert. Maybe someone can help?

The car I bought has hood louvers, rear bumper with exhaust cutouts and dual exhaust, front and rear sway bars, boxed control arms, front disc brakes, and is a 350 4 speed car. To me some of these features sound like options included in the 442 W-29 package. Is there any way I can verify if the car is indeed a W-29? Can I tell from my vin or cowl tag? All I have really been able to find out so far is that it came out of the Lansing plant. I know the simple answer would be found on the build sheet which I don't have. Well I actually only found part of it in the glove box. It is not in great shape and is not very legible. I'll try to attach some photos for reference. Lastly, car came from Florida so please excuse the rust. I know... I have some rust repair ahead of me.

Thanks
Old August 4th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Rocket Renegade!

For 1971 if it's a 4-4-2 (W-29), that will be signified by a VIN that begins 344-. It's that simple.

W-29 was the foundation for the 4-4-2 option prior to 1968 (when the 4-4-2 became a separate series) and from 1972 on (when 4-4-2 reverted to option status).
Old August 5th, 2020, 05:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

The cowl tag says the car is a Cutlass S Holiday Coupe. I'm guessing the VIN says the same thing. The cutout back bumper was added - it was not available on the Cutlass from the factory. The RPO FE2 suspension was a $13.27 option available on any Cutlass S that year.
Old August 5th, 2020, 05:26 AM

Welcome aboard, Vinny! Though your car is not a literal 4-4-2, it does have a number of the features that go into a 4-4-2. Congratulations on your find, I'm sure you will have fun with it. You've come to the right place to get the low-down on all things Oldsmobile. There are a lot of folks with a great deal of knowledge that can help with any questions you may have - you are already learning! In case you don't know it already, the group loves pictures! When you get a chance, post some pics of your new toy! Tell us about your plans, folks here love to help.
Old August 5th, 2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
For 1971 if it's a 4-4-2 (W-29), that will be signified by a VIN that begins 344-. It's that simple.

W-29 was the foundation for the 4-4-2 option prior to 1968 (when the 4-4-2 became a separate series) and from 1972 on (when 4-4-2 reverted to option status).
I did not know that.. thanks for the info.
Old August 5th, 2020, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The cowl tag says the car is a Cutlass S Holiday Coupe. I'm guessing the VIN says the same thing. The cutout back bumper was added - it was not available on the Cutlass from the factory. The RPO FE2 suspension was a $13.27 option available on any Cutlass S that year.
Interesting. Didn't know that. Guess someone was going for the clone look. That or they just thought the cutouts looked cool.
Thanks for the info.
Old August 5th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Welcome aboard, Vinny! Though your car is not a literal 4-4-2, it does have a number of the features that go into a 4-4-2. Congratulations on your find, I'm sure you will have fun with it. You've come to the right place to get the low-down on all things Oldsmobile. There are a lot of folks with a great deal of knowledge that can help with any questions you may have - you are already learning! In case you don't know it already, the group loves pictures! When you get a chance, post some pics of your new toy! Tell us about your plans, folks here love to help.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Definitely love learning more and more about the car. My current plans for it are to do a frame-off restoration, keeping it mostly stock. I'm wanting to go back with it's original color, Saturn Gold I believe it's called. Will definitely be posting pictures of my progress throughout the process.
Old August 5th, 2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by vinnyr
I'm wanting to go back with it's original color, Saturn Gold I believe it's called.
Yeah baby! That's the color.

Old August 6th, 2020, 09:59 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
13.27?

now my question is why didnt every single person check the FE2 option box?
Old August 6th, 2020, 12:29 PM

Neither my SX nor my V Code Supreme have FE2 suspensions. Crazy. I'll have to ask the V Code's original owner why he didn't select it since he sat down and ordered it with the catalog and order sheet in front of him.
Terry
Old August 6th, 2020, 12:49 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by vette442
Neither my SX nor my V Code Supreme have FE2 suspensions. Crazy. I'll have to ask the V Code's original owner why he didn't select it since he sat down and ordered it with the catalog and order sheet in front of him.
Terry
My V Code supreme was not ordered with the rear anti sway bar either.. It does have one now..installed by previous owner
Old August 6th, 2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
13.27?

now my question is why didnt every single person check the FE2 option box?
Anti spin differentials were inexpensive, too, but look at how many performance cars had open rearends.
Old August 7th, 2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah baby! That's the color.

Beautiful car! Love the color matched wheels. Compliments the car nicely.