General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Craftsman wrenches made in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:21 PM

I know some of Dads and Granddads wrenches are marked " Vanadium Steel " These only have the "V" mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN4757.JPG (3.39 MB, 20 views)
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:56 PM
Administrator

I think sometime in the late 80's early 90's they stopped using Vanadium steel. I had some dykes (wire cutters) that were great for many years and when I eventually went to replace them under warranty they weren't available anymore.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Joe:

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Allstate. I have never seen one and it has been a long time since I have seen a Henry J. The continental kit has to be ultra rare. There were 2,363 Allstates built in the 2 year run. It is interesting that they came with Allstate tires and spark plugs.

Here is a link if anybody is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allstate_(automobile)
Old December 2nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
same but different

Reading this discussion the other day, led me to finally go out and look at all my craftsmen tools. The bulk of them purchased between 1985-89.

Made in USA vanadium on all of them. I Did find two with japan on them, either bought second hand, or sourced earlier.

I've had good use of them. Might have replaced two ratchets and couple of sockets due to abuse through the years.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM

I still have some of my Craftsman tools i got in about 1972, ill check them out. I also have some Mr Goodwrench tools, think they came from Sams Club, their not bad. Sears also sold the Allstate motorcycles. I used to go drool on them when i would go their with my mom or dad, I would love to have one now. I also remember Sears had "White" and "Colored" water drinking fountains when i was young. I didnt understand it so i asked my mom about it. She just grabbed my hand, pulled me away and said just forget it... LOL. That was in Lubbock, Tx. probably around 1961 . I was around 6 or 7, I could read so i know i had to be at least in the first grade. Sears had some cool stuff, some of their electric guitars and amps were actually made by pretty decent manufactures and are collectors items now.