Getting the Cutlass ready for Japan

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Getting the Cutlass ready for Japan

So I'm finally getting the paperwork started on getting my grandfather's '75 Salon on the road here in Japan. Couple things I'm still trying to track down though..............

(1) I need rear amber turn signals (wacky japanese laws), not just the red flashing brake lights. Did any foreign model come with amber turn signals in the rear? I'd love to put install something that looks like it's supposed to be there as opposed to just slapping some amber trailer lights on the back. Right now I'm considering replacing the red reflectors next to the white back up lights with amber LED turn signals.

(2) It's running super rich at idle (still can't drive it, so I don't know how that is.) I went to try and adjust the card (350 with 4bbl) but the plastic thingy on the side that says "turn this way for lean, this way for rich" is broken, brittle plastic. Is this common and what's a good fix? I guess I could always just leave it, but it's pretty rich.

(3) The paint needs a good compounding. I think I'm missing some of the trim anyways (there is a piece or two in the trunk, and several pieces missing on the car.) Do people ever just pull the trim all together? Does it look good? Should I just try to find replacement trim?

(4) Last one for now. What size are the speakers in the dash?

Thanks guys!
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM

1) I would get some 75 taillights as found on the 442 and 4 door cars. They have upper and lower chevron shapes and you could make 1/2 amber somehow. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...iewitem=#v4-33

2) I would check timing on the car and I also would not start to adjust the carb until after you get 50 road miles on the car. A carb will smooth out considerably from just doing it's job sometimes. The thingie you are trying to adjust is the choke pull off setting. If the choke is open when warm, leave that alone for now.

3) I removed the trim from several cutlasses I had over the years due to missing/broken pieces. Most people never notice it is gone.

4) 3.5" http://www.jcwhitney.com/hp-replacem...d=c588d12060j1
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Great, thanks a bunch for the info! I'm probably just going to wire up some LED trailer lights in the short term and stick them over the reflectors next to the reverse lights until I can make something nicer like chopping up some of the 4 door tails. About the carb, thanks and I'll let it be. I didn't know carbs did any self adjusting or anything (first carb'ed car.) I've always heard about changes in elevation and needing to adjust them then. It's gone from Cleveland to Greensboro, NC to sea level with out any adjustment.
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:26 AM

The choke spring and cover should still be available, and is an easy fix.
You should be able to find it on the web.
Otherwise you'll be running too rich, fouling plugs and getting hideous mileage!
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I live in Sasebo and am considering bringing my 69 Cutlass over. Please let me know everything that you have to do to make it legal over here. Are you military and if so did the military send your car over. Please PM me if you do not wish to answer here.

Thanks
Keith

Last edited by Willidog; October 25th, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM

It finally passed and is 100% legal in Japan!

2011-07-28145953.jpg

2011-07-28161933.jpg

Now on to decisions about restoring it or trying to sell it as is. It's impractical to keep it here in the long term for several reasons the least of which is I am only allowed 2 cars (one for me, and one for the wife.) I have a temp waiver for 3, but I can't do that forever, and I have to pay $60 a month for an extra parking spot.

Anyways, I'm just happy to have it registered and plated after all this time! I'm going to rock it to work for a few weeks as soon as new brake pads get here from the states. I'm sure I'll be seeking advice on restoration stuff and direction in the coming weeks, so thanks in advance!
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Man, that is cool!
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Congratulations! You done it!!

Now where are you gonna drive to??

- Eric
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:46 AM

I wanna see the solution you came up with on the speedo!!
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:19 AM

I'm going to be driving it to work in the morning. The front pads are pretty thin and sqealing but I'm going to look at them again tonight and judge if they will hold the 20 round trip to work or not. I REALLY want to drive it and the pads won't get here until the end of next week.

For the speedo, I'll find a pic, but basically my wife got some black plastic from the hobby store and a white paint marker and you can imagine the rest. It turned out pretty well, although if I ever come across a KPH speedo, I'm jumping on it.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Hangin' out...

Wow! Congratulations!
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:14 AM
1970 Cutlass Supreme Sold

Congratulations! I´m in the same position here - trying to get my Cutlass legal in Sweden. Still have some things to do with it.

I have seen a documentary about rockabilly rebels in Japan - find them