General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible top motor ?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM

convertible top motor ?

Just purchased '67 Ninety-Eight convertible and top goes down fine but needs a helping hand ( or two) to get started on the way up. Anyone with experience help ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
037.jpg (60.4 KB, 21 views)
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM

I assume the fluid level is topped off and there is no air in the system?
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Does your top motor sound as though it's free wheeling on start up or sound like it's pulling a load? If free wheeling you might have a air lock or more probably low on fluid.It's easy but messy to top it off. I use a pump oil can and a bunch of rags to catch my mistakes.I have lost two cylinders in the past due to misalignment of the top and leaked a pint of fluid into the back seat floor area before I caught it. A pint goes a long way,so go carefully.Thank God I have transmission red interior....Tedd
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM

I had the same problem with my 65 Cutlass. Once you check the system for leaks, I would suggest you get a filler system from a place like Year One. Its pretty easy and comes with full instructions.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=3

Check Part # UJ27

Last edited by dingusboy; February 6th, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the back seat and while working top switch, I saw lots of air pockets in the lines. How do I bleed the lines/ top off fluid ? What fluid should I refill with ? Current fluid looks " clearish" in the tubes.
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by fmbjogger
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the back seat and while working top switch, I saw lots of air pockets in the lines. How do I bleed the lines/ top off fluid ? What fluid should I refill with ? Current fluid looks " clearish" in the tubes.
It's always been my understanding that brake fluid is what is used in convertible hydraulics.
http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....9443&highlight=

Last edited by 67442nut; February 6th, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM

fmbjogger, they used two types of fluid in my era cars 1955 and earlier so anything newer I am at a loss, but in the older cars they used brake fluid or auto transmission fluid. I hope yours is some kind of hydraulic fluid that appears clearish because break fluid sucks as a top fluid.It draws moisture and will rust your motor and cylinder from the inside. You have to know because the two types can't be intermixed. You might try smelling it .If it is brake fluid I would flush the system and refill with transmission fluid.

The fill hole is located on the motor- reservoir and should look like a 1/4 inch plug, some are rubber. I just fill up the reservoir replace the plug and run the top up and down five or six times, then refill, repeat till full or you have made a mess and need to have a beer. Not a bad job all things considered. Someone that has one of those new fangled 70 sh cars should chime in encase I'm giving you old world info...Tedd
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM

In the 72 Cutlass, tranny fluid is the GM recommended fluid. It is possible that 67 used comething different??
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM

I also have reservations about the corrosiveness of brake fluid, but,
apparently the convertible hydraulic system is designed to handle it.
That may be the reason for the plastic lines.
I have '67 convertibles that have the original fluid in them that work fine and show no evidence of corrosion.
I can't say I know the original systems had brake fluid in them from the factory.
I'm assuming so since the manual says to use it when doing maintenance.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
In the 72 Cutlass, tranny fluid is the GM recommended fluid. It is possible that 67 used comething different??
Good question.
I think the '68-'72 convertibles all used the same basic hydraulic system.
I have a hydraulic system off a '69. If it means anything, the pump looks the same as the '67 pump.

I just did a search and found this little tidbit of info on the "Convertible Top guys" website:
Use Proper Fluid:
We are offering high grade hydraulic fluid for maximum longevity of the convertible top hydraulic system.
Hydraulic fluid should also be available locally.
Transmission fluid works very well too, though it is not as refined as hydraulic fluid.
Brake fluid has the required viscosity and will run the system.
But brake fluid also contains corrosive compounds.
We therefore we do not like to see brake fluid installed in hydraulic convertible top systems as it can lead to premature damage.

Last edited by 67442nut; February 6th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.