General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Centenarian's

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2019, 02:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Centenarian's

Yesterday I had the honor and privilege of doing something I doubt anybody else on here has ever done and that I will never get to do again. I carried two centenarians in my car in a parade. One was 100 years old and the other was 101 and will be 102 on the 28th of this month. I don't want to give names or too much info since I don't have their or their families permission so I just post photos. This was just a small parade around the grounds of the retirement home where they are residents. We only had six cars with two people in each car. Since I had the only convertible I got to carry the Grand Marshalls. I only knew beforehand that the guy was 101. I wish I could give details because he is a most remarkable man. I also included a picture of the pep squad.

Old November 3rd, 2019, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Kudo's to you for spending some time doing that. I also participated in a private car show that was closed to the public for a retirement care center over the weekend. It was wonderful, we had about 50 cars and the residents were thrilled to be able to come out, ask questions, and enjoy the cars. Then we caravanned past the front doors for the ones that could not come out so they can see and hear the cars as we left.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 03:30 PM

What wonderful things to do !!!!!!!! Thank you guys !!!!!!!!!!
Old November 3rd, 2019, 03:58 PM
same but different

That is awesome!
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:01 PM

That's great.

Last Sunday I took my old landlady out to watch "Nosferatu" at a local movie theater, followed by dinner. She was born in 1923, just one year after Nosferatu came out, during the presidency of Warren Harding. She still remembers the years before the Depression... A window to a world that is long gone. Wonderful lady.

Last edited by bw1339; November 3rd, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:02 PM

Awesome!! You have a good heart and did the right thing.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 05:20 PM

That is excellent Glenn and Eric. I'm sure it was a pleasure and a privilege to do that.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 05:29 PM

Thank you for taking your time and the use of your car to give some of our greatest citizens there maybe last ride honoring them.

A couple years ago at a show in Quinell BC (sp) the car cruse included stops at all the rest/retirement homes in that small town. Stops included pictures and BS. time with the residents. I'm sure we cruisers had as much fun as the residents, I'm sure I did.

For the last three days my dad and I hosted a function at our cabin at Eagle Lake. My dad at 92 (almost 93) drove the 3 hours up there and back. I'm truly blessed to have a parent that I can party with at age 92.... Tedd
Old November 3rd, 2019, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Tedd, I hope I have half the energy as your dad as I age...
Old November 4th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What wonderful things to do !!!!!!!! Thank you guys !!!!!!!!!!

X2 on that ^^^^
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:06 AM

Very cool! I bet it was a blast!
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Always room for one more

Glenn good on you. They looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

Every year in Ohio the Amphicar club gives rides to residents of the local senior/retirement village. It's hard for them to get into the cars(they have help) but they can't wait for that time of year and really enjoy the ride out on the lake.
Old November 4th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Olds Fever

FANTASTIC......... What a great thing to do... A memory surely not to be forgotten by you or them...
Old November 4th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks guys. Five years ago I had the honor of carrying a 92 year old WWII Marine in his uniform in the Veterans Day Parade in Dallas. I didn't think I would ever match that. This event was on a PAR with that one. John, you are correct in that I will never forget either event. I have been very fortunate.

Glenn
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:13 PM

A selfless pleasure... The best kind! I hope to do the same when I am retired and have a ride as exquisite as yours. Maybe someone would do it for us someday should we grace this earth for that long.. For the time being, I took some unexpected party guests for a neighborhood ride this weekend although they were just enamored with the sheer age of the car. Your a good soul Glenn.
Old November 5th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Do unto others

What comes around goes around Thanks for giving those rides.
Old November 5th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
A selfless pleasure... The best kind! I hope to do the same when I am retired and have a ride as exquisite as yours. Maybe someone would do it for us someday should we grace this earth for that long.. For the time being, I took some unexpected party guests for a neighborhood ride this weekend although they were just enamored with the sheer age of the car. Your a good soul Glenn.
Thanks Heath. Hope to see you soon.

Glenn
Old November 18th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Some of you may remember my posting this thread a couple weeks ago. The gentleman in the car was Orville Rogers. Mr. Rogers passed away last Thursday two weeks before his 102nd birthday. I had no idea what a remarkable man he was until I got home and Googled him. He was a bomber pilot during WWII. He never deployed and stayed stateside as an instructor. He was called back up during the Korean War and flew the B36. He was on the crew that was on call 24 hours a day and would be called if necessary to leave Carswell AFB and fly to Russia and drop a nuclear bomb and return to Fort Worth. Fortunately that never happened. He flew 31 years for Braniff International. He began running when he was 50 years old and ran over 42,000 miles in his lifetime. He was a savy investor and gave away over $34 million in his lifetime. He was known as The Running Man and held 15 records. One was set at 90, one at 95 and another at 100. I have included a couple links. There are many and numerous utube videos. I was privileged to give him his last ride in an automobile and it happened to be an Oldsmobile. He reportedly really enjoyed it. What a remarkable man.

http://www.orvillerogers.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Rogers
Old November 18th, 2019, 05:40 PM

A humble personality is rare in today’s social media (I) saturated world. I’d venture to guess that he made no mention of his accomplishments and was likely just gracious for the ride. As previously said, I believe the pleasure was unselfishly but equally yours.
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks Glenn,
Amazing guy.