General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wake up call

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:24 PM

Wake up call

So we went to the BOP Shootout in San Antonio on Friday night. We had a blast and really enjoyed the trip. We got home about 4am and unloaded the car and returned the trailer. After decompressing for a bit I finally went to bed at 7am.

At 9am we were woken by our neighbors calling and ringing the doorbell to alert us that we needed to speak with the police regarding our car that had been involved in a wreck. Baffled, I threw on some clothes and walked out front where there was a Constable, and 3 cars in front of my house. That's odd...when we parked our Honda there were only 2 cars and they were parked about 1' apart.

Having borrowed my father in law's truck I knew better than to park it in the street, so we parked the Honda out there and left the truck in the driveway. Little did we know, a 16 year old kid hauling ***** down the street while texting on his cell phone would park his Jeep between my Honda and the neighbor's Ford, that, as I said earlier were parked 1' apart. What a way to wake up after a long night of driving and only 2 hours of sleep...

I wasn't planning on getting a new car for a while, but with the value of the car and what I think it's going to cost to repair it the insurance company may total it. I am so happy that moron decided that it was time for me to get a new car (<--sarcasm). What a great slap in the face, especially when I am facing losing my career in the Army because of having cancer in my leg. It's just a bang up life I've got right now. Thanks bro...I appreciate your stupidity. Sorry, just haven't gotten a chance to vent...
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Past Administrator

Jeesh! What a lousy way to be awakened from sleep.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:35 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Wow Steve, sounds like your luck is like mine At least no one was injured or in the vehicle when the moron crashed into it.
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Old School Olds

That sucks Steve.
But as GA said, no one was hurt.
Maybe the kid will learn to slow down
and stay off the phone while driving.
Hope it works out to your advantage.
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM

I hope the kid was insured! And I hope the police wrote him a citation. I'd love to see these kids who get in accidents from texting/phone calls be put in jail or a boot camp for a few weeks. Something or someone needs to get their attention before they kill someone.

Sorry about your career and your leg. In the scheme of things, the car can be repaired or replaced. Sounds like your leg is a bigger concern right now and i wish you the best with it.
Brian
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

Sorry to hear this, Steve. That just sucks! Sounds like you're having a run of bad luck like we all get every now and then. Have faith and hang in there!! Things are supposed to happen for a reason, even if we don't understand it.....
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mr. Johnson

Best of luck Steve! Always crappy news when it happens to a good person.
Old October 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

That's not the first time that's happened to you IIRC. Time to move or get a bigger driveway. Steve - sorry to see it happened. With luck the ins company will be able to fix that instead of writing it off. I know you don't need the extra aggravation of this right now.

Hope the kid was charged and license suspended. Up here we have graduated licensing and if that happened I think the kid would no longer be insurable for awhile.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Steve it seems you are a magnet for this sort of thing. I had this happen to me with an old Vega GT I was going to put a sbc in. A drunk parked on top of it.

Well, now you can get another Olds.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys! Yes, the kid has (had) insurance but after being ticketed for the wreck and then having 2 (TWO) different people filing insurance claims on him I'm sure his parent's won't be able to afford insuring him. If they do they're going to pay out the wazzoo for it.

It's funny, when I was out there talking to him I told him that I felt sorry for him. He said "why do you feel sorry for me, I hit YOU!" I told him "because, you were involved in a 3 car collision and you are the only driver involved...your insurance company is going to LOVE! you!" His dad hadn't thought about it until then, you could almost see the dread in his face. I'm inclined to feel sorry for him, except that it could have all been avoided if he had left his damn phone in his pocket and I have zero tolerance for that.

I am happy that he wasn't hurt and no one else was involved. There are blessings in disguise. I told the kid that I was happy my car was where it was because had he not hit it first and slowed his Jeep down he would have been in a straight on collision with the other car and may not have been here to talk to me. I don't mind sacrificing my car if it saved his life, but it goes back to what caused the wreck in the first place. I wouldn't have had to sacrifice my car if he wasn't being an idiot lol!

Oh well...we'll see what happens. And Eric, I would love to have another driver Cutlass but I don't even have room for the two I've got. And with my luck of having cars totaled while they're parked, I couldn't possibly park one in the driveway.

P.S. The first car totaled in my driveway was a 1972 Cutlass Supreme but that was at a different house in Austin. You know, Jeff Foxworthy said that most accidents happen within a mile from your home...I think it's time I moved, again
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
You know, Jeff Foxworthy said that most accidents happen within a mile from your home...I think it's time I moved, again
Echo echo echo in in in here here here.... get a wider driveway....

You and all of us know that you can't protect against stupid though. Jeepers, I remember in the old days the worst that would ever happen would be coming home late and not having a parking spot on the street. Also back then there weren't cell phones; just chicks! Does that count for distracted driving?
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM

You were easier on the kid then most would be. Hopefully the way you handled it with him will make him realize just how lucky he was. I hope the leg and career issues work out well for you as you deserve a break about now
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

...and they said we did stupid things when we were younger...maybe so, BUT , nobody I knew then or now ever hit a parked car while texting! A good friend hit a pole....as he was gazing at a good- looking girl and luckily for him, at a very low speed
Hope all turns out for you

Ted
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM

Sorry to hear about the car Steve.

Good luck with it and everything going on right now.
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:18 AM

Im all for kids learning life lessons but wish they could do it to other and leave us older folk be.We already know stuff!!
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:00 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Well I might have something to cheer you up in a week or so.......heheehheh
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
I hope the kid was insured! And I hope the police wrote him a citation. I'd love to see these kids who get in accidents from texting/phone calls be put in jail or a boot camp for a few weeks. Something or someone needs to get their attention before they kill someone.
He might get a ticket for failure to contol his vehicle, but not for texting or talking on the phone. Our wonderful Guv vetoed the bill that would have made it illegal. People on the phone are a real hazard here on the streets in Texas. I hate it. I just put 4 Cadillac horns behind the front grill in my daily driving work truck. I put in 2 different high notes and 2 different lows, sound like a freight train when I hit the horn... and I hit it often.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by texxas
He might get a ticket for failure to contol his vehicle, but not for texting or talking on the phone. Our wonderful Guv vetoed the bill that would have made it illegal. People on the phone are a real hazard here on the streets in Texas. I hate it. I just put 4 Cadillac horns behind the front grill in my daily driving work truck. I put in 2 different high notes and 2 different lows, sound like a freight train when I hit the horn... and I hit it often.
The different municipalities still have the right to make those laws, I know the City of Conroe has made it illegal and I think Montgomery County has as well. I'd have to check. The police report will be available next Tuesday, I'll let you know

By the way, the estimate is done on the Honda. $5500 to repair it...sheesh!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM

The different municipalities still have the right to make those laws, I know the City of Conroe has made it illegal and I think Montgomery County has as well. I'd have to check. The police report will be available next Tuesday, I'll let you know

By the way, the estimate is done on the Honda. $5500 to repair it...sheesh!
Doesn't sound like that is enough damage to total the car. I'm pretty sure in the DFW area it is only illegal to text or talk in an active school zone. I'm glad Conroe has made it illegal. I usually hit the swap meet there twice a year. My Bro in law lives in Spring and I know he is still a texting and driving fool. I had to threaten to get out of the truck last time when he wouldn't stop. When we head down for turkey and Autorama later this month I'm not riding with him. I can't believe it's November already, it been in the upper 80s all this week. Good luck with getting the Honda fixed.
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM

Doesn't sound like that is enough damage to total the car. I'm pretty sure in the DFW area it is only illegal to text or talk in an active school zone. I'm glad Conroe has made it illegal. I usually hit the swap meet there twice a year. My Bro in law lives in Spring and I know he is still a texting and driving fool. I had to threaten to get out of the truck last time when he wouldn't stop. When we head down for turkey and Autorama later this month I'm not riding with him. I can't believe it's November already, it been in the upper 80s all this week. Good luck with getting the Honda fixed.

I will have my w-31 in the Autorama show this year. Steve, should be there as well . My W-31 will not not be parked with the Olds club.
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Joe, I'll be on the look out and introduce myself. David
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM

It's illegal to text or talk on a cell phone around here. But that doesn't stop anyone from doing it. A couple months ago I had to take the shoulder of the road to avoid a dipsh!t texting on his phone (above the steering wheel, while trying to watch the road)

A guy I work with told me his niece texts while driving, but she can text without looking. But whether she's looking or not, she's not paying attention to the road. She's paying attention to what she's spelling on her phone.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Joe, I'll be on the look out and introduce myself. David
Awesome, I look forward to meeting you.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
It's illegal to text or talk on a cell phone around here. But that doesn't stop anyone from doing it. A couple months ago I had to take the shoulder of the road to avoid a dipsh!t texting on his phone (above the steering wheel, while trying to watch the road)

A guy I work with told me his niece texts while driving, but she can text without looking. But whether she's looking or not, she's not paying attention to the road. She's paying attention to what she's spelling on her phone.
Have you heard of anyone actually getting busted yet? One thing to have a law, quite another to enforce it! I just simply refuse to have the cellon while driving!
BTW, love your car..."

Ted
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM

I'm glad nobody was hurt, well at least in the accident. The kid's dad probably beat the **** outta him after that.

I park my cars in the driveway, so many dumb people out there
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Have you heard of anyone actually getting busted yet? One thing to have a law, quite another to enforce it! I just simply refuse to have the cellon while driving!
BTW, love your car..."

Ted
Thanks for the compliment!

No.....no one that I know of has been busted for texting while driving or talking on a cell while driving. I think they'll just use it as an excuse to bust someone that has a criminal history.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The police report will be available next Tuesday, I'll let you know By the way, the estimate is done on the Honda. $5500 to repair it...sheesh!
Soo, Steve? What's happening with the charges and the damage? You getting it fixed or buying a new one?
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Car is being repaired. They are replacing the D/S doors (both), the B-pillar (the pillar that the back door mounts to), the rear fender, and painting the left side of the car. The original estimate ($5500 or exactly 50% of the car's value) was sold to the insurance company and the repairs were started. Got a call today to discuss the addendum that they are having to make to the original estimate. I haven't had a chance to speak with them yet, but I'm sure the insurance company is going to really love that one.

The guy at the repair facility had ask me "during the repair, what is most important to you?" I told him "make the car look like it came off the showroom floor so I can trade it in as soon as it's done." He said "why? We're going to make it look like it's never been wrecked, you'll never be able to tell." I told him "That guy over there (pointing), he'll never know. Neither will that lady, or that kid...but me? I will ALWAYS know that this unibody car was wrecked and that a major structural brace was replaced. I don't care how good you fix it, the car will never be worth what it was before, and it will always be a WRECKED car."

Short story, they are repairing it...then we'll replace it.

P.S. I'll go pick up the accident report tomorrow, stay tuned...
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Steve,

I definitely appreciate your frustration with the situation and I've been there too. But don't be so quick to want to unload the car for a few reasons.

The damage to your car, while significant, wasn't that bad. Trust me, I've worked in the auto body business in the past and I've repaired some vehicles that looked far worse. The B pillar is not a big deal and they are commonly replaced. And the cars are designed with these repairs in mind. A quality shop can get the car back to the same condition as it was before and sometimes even better. While no car that is ever repaired will be exactly the same as it was, I'd say a quality shop can get it 99%. If there was any question as to the car being structurally sound, the insurance company would not pay to repair it. By agreeing to the repair, they are saying the car will be as safe as it was prior to the accident. As for the additional costs that came up after the initial estimate, that is common and it's the way this process works. The insurance company is expecting a supplemental request from the shop. It's not possible anymore for a shop or adjuster to be able to see every part or area that is damaged. So the normal process is get it close, start the repairs, fine tune the actual costs and pay the shop the difference. It's standard operating procedure. The repairs can go as high as 75%-80% of the cars value before they will total it so since they are at 50% on the initial estimate, there's not much concern there at all.

The best friend you have right now is the shop people who are repairing the car. You want them to take pride in what they do and you want them to believe you will be driving this car for many more years. To tell them you don't want the car because you don't feel the car is being repaired correctly, which in essence is what you were saying when you said it would always be a wrecked car, can come across as an insult to the shop. And the last thing you want them to do is not care because they feel you don't care.

Once you get the car back and you take it somewhere to get rid of it, you might be surprised at what you find. Chances are the dealer will immediately run a CarFax report on the car and guess what will show up? As a result, you will get a very low offer for the car, maybe half of what you would have been offered if there was no accident damage. If there were any other accidents on the car, that makes it worse. You may find that you cannot afford to take what you will be offered and you'll be telling the dealer that the repairs were done perfectly so there shouldn't be an issue. But because future buyers will look at a CarFax and compare it to other used cars, you are going to lose. Many states now address this on newer cars and they call it "diminished value". Some states allow owners to be compensated for that loss in value but there are limitations. You might want to look into it to see if you would have any options with it. If not, you may find you need to keep the car and if it were mine, I wouldn't give it a second thought. And I think I would be glad that the B post was replaced because it plays such a vital role in the door alignment. Some shops may have tried to pull it, get it close and then smooth it out with filler. Your shop is taking the correct approach.

I'd call the shop tomorrow, tell them you may have spoken a little out of frustration and that you do plan to keep the car (even if you are not) and that you do want it to be done right and that you appreciate the effort they are making. You'll be happier in the end.

Brian

Last edited by 69442C; November 9th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Good call Brian, thanks for giving me some perspective. We have already looked into the diminished value and will be seeking that from the kid's insurance company. My plan was to take the repaired car, and the adjustment for diminished value and get a new (pre-owned) truck.

One of the reasons for my frustration is that the car is uncomfortable for me to ride in given my medical situation. I hate that car. It hurts to drive, it hurts to ride. With an overwhelming animosity towards it, the wreck just deepens the resentment I have towards it. This kid wrecking it pushed me over the edge of what I was willing to tolerate with that car. I didn't like the car before the wreck, and I surely don't hold a special place in my heart for it after.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:19 AM

It sounds like you have the bases covered and that it is time for that car to head on down the road. But do touch base with the shop so they do it right and so you can maximize your trade value as best as possible. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Brian
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You know, after reading these last two posts about collision damage and diminished value can I offer you a suggestion Steve?

As Brian pointed out - the quality of the repair at a good shop will be right up there. Understanding your physical needs re your leg, I can see why a smaller car has no sentimental attachment. That, however is not the cars fault and I wouldn't take it out on the car. It just makes it easier to part company with.

What about looking around at the same or other quality body shops to see if there are trucks that are undergoing repairs? You know they will be getting repaired properly. See if an owner will take a diminished value buyout on the truck and go from there? Both of you would win in the long run. You get a truck that you need without paying big $$$, he gets your buyout + diminished value from the ins company.

I don't know if that is a realistic option for you, but I thought I'd throw it in the ring as food for thought.
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Sorry for your bad luck especially with the cancer, I am a survivor and an army veteran, they retired me but not for the cancer that came after I got messed up and spent a year in the hospitals. Contact your local DAV Steve they can help before you leave the service! Dont let them give you the boot, Also the new 15 year retirment may be an option for you. And on the kid texting is not illegal in Florida either and every time it comes before the Senate money from the telephone companies stops the bill from passing, meanwhile a teenager in Orlando texting as she was driving ran over two little girls crossing the street at the intersection. One was 18 months in her stroller and the other 2 years old. No jail time. 500 fine. Texting is killing people like drinking! I hope things get better for you.
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Tough deal Steve, now Gearheads has a beautiful driver Cutlass you would look good in)