General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car Cover Help

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:29 AM
1971 442 convert

Car Cover Help

Getting down to the short strokes and am searching for a new car cover for my 1971 442 convertible. I need one for outdoor and indoor use.

Any suggestions and or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help and advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00804.JPG (129.3 KB, 6 views)
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Ben

California Car Cover or Cover Craft Brand- NOAH Fabric.

Avoid Wolfe Covers.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

This is the new Dustop cover I got last October. It was around $250.00, but it's nice - very soft against the paint. I looked on different web sites and read about covers and I liked the sounds of this one... plus Bluevista recommended it to me, and he wouldn't steer me wrong! I believe it's made by Covercraft... It fits real nice, but I think it's mostly for indoor coverage. Look them up!

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Covercraf...Car-Cover.html

prettiestonesnewblankie001.jpg
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Ben

Duststop is an awesome cover, but they are indoor only- definitely not weatherproof
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
1971 442 convert

Thanks guys.
Just wondered why to avoid Wolf covers??
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Ben

I went with them for my last two car covers because they were cheap... You'd think i would have learned after the first one...

Here is my car cover experiences...

1st... Cover craft custom fit Evolution 4 Material. This cover was awesome. Had it on a car parked outside, and it was great. Water resistant- soft on the inside- fitment was excellent as well.

2nd... Cover craft Universal fit Evoloution 4 Cover. Also awesome- was a little bit baggy (probably could have ordered the next size smaller) same thing- almost waterproof- soft on the inside.

3rd... Wolfe Custom fit Noah Fabric. The fitment was terrible compared to teh Cover craft cover. Both were for 68-72 elcaminos- the wolfe cover was way too short- you could litereally see the bottom 3" of the rocker panels. The stichin was poor and it started unravelling in a couple seams almost immediately. It was pretty soft though and didn't scratch at all, so it was ok for the 2 years i had it.

4th - Wolfe universal-fit Evolution 4 fabric... I don't know if they changed the fabric or what- but this one is not nearly soft enough on the inside. I should have sent it back... The fabric is thinner too... I have a cat that lives in my garage- Never did any damage to the old Noah cover on my last car- but for some reason THIS cover gets shredded just by her jumping on it.... She is not scratching the car- its just the cover hanging up on her claws...The quality of the stiches is again terrible- it ripped a couple seams within 2 months... anyway Never again. Not worth the money saved to go with this brand again. I will buy either california or cover craft next time.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
1971 442 convert

Wow thanks Ram that's alot of info - you must be the car cover expert
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ben

No, i'm not an expert, I just change my classic cars like i change my underwear...then wind up doing the same changes/upgrades/purchases on the next one- Try to avoid making the same mistakes on the next one (I make different mistakes instead!)

Turnover was a different one about every 2 years until My son was born and all my fun money dried up.

means I'll probably keep my 66 for a long while though- so thats cool.

Last edited by RAMBOW; April 21st, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:15 AM
Registered

The best outdoor car cover is a garage.
How do you get collector's insurance without one?

The dustop is the only cover I've had that doesn't let dust in (duh) and doesn't scratch the paint, no matter how hard you try.
Another problem with other types is that the material starts breaking down after a couple of years and makes it own dust, they're heavy, fit too tight.

The Vista Cruiser will need a few yards of fabric to make one.
Maybe I'd be better off going to Kirstie Alley's tailor, Omar the tentmaker.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:07 AM

I just use a very cheap dust cover, light and easy to clean but I keep my car in a garage most of the time and it is good enough for keeping crap from trees off when I do keep it outside short term, not outside in the rain.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
1971 442 convert

Thanks Des and Blue my car is in the garage almost all of the time and I do use a wolf cover, (probably 15 years old), that is made of a very thin fabric. The reason I was asking for a better cover was for the overnight trips I have planned such as the Nationals in Sturbridge. I was thinking I might need a cover that offered some water protection.

Yeah Blue you are going to need a huuuuuge cover for that baby and if you get a hold of Kirstie's tailor I could probably just use the left over fabric from yours LOL