General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Can't solve the squeal/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Can't solve the squeal/Hesitation

83 Hurst Olds- approx- 110k miles.

Modification from stock:
-Edlebrock 1406 carb (1" spacer, hd accell pump and #43 squirt-er)
-Headers and customer exhaust

Belt Driven assembly information:
-Stock fan, Hayden 2747 clutch, no belt on ac compressor, no belt on air pump.

Issue- Noise at mid range Rpms, awful squeal of belt at high rpms (only with a belt on alternator/p.s/fan.

Belts tried- top cog, gator back, drive rite (various lengths, widths and tension).

Other Trouble shooting- Three different alternators (2 rebuilds from local parts store and one "new" from Advanced auto).

Issue #2
-Car hesitates during initial W.O.T
-Timing is 20 degrees advance
-New spark plugs (gapped to .80)
-New plug wires

Questions:
-Do I have a bad timing chain here? I've heard that slack in the chain can interrupt timing and cause hesitation.
-I've heard not having a belt on the ac compressor can cause noise in the belts/pulleys because of the heavy tension pulling to one side.
-Could this be the water pump hub? It is the only part of this assembly that hasn't been replaced (alternator yesterday, p.s pump/pulley feb 13')

Other note worthy commentary:
-With the alternator belt off there is ZERO noise at any rpm.
-I charged the battery to 100% (replaced December 12') before starting.
-The wiring to the starter (Replaced April 14') is in good condition.

I can take pictures if needed and I thank you for the help.
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:58 PM

I only use GATES belts, most others are not top quality. FWIW. Good luck. Are you running vacuum advance dist?? If so you need PORTED VACUUM(above the butterflies), Later Johnny
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:08 PM

put the alt. on the rt side, use a different size belt then itlll quit squealing
not sure about your hesitation without knowing more about the motor. could be just about anything. fuel starvation? fuel pressure check? lots more to it.
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:20 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Put a belt on the A/C compressor for the quickest and cheapest fix for the belt slipping.
If you have removed the compressor then either mount the alternator on the right hand side or convert to a serpentine setup (expensive).

If you tighten up the belts to try to stop the squealing you might damage the water pump bearing. It's not a great design, there are lots of threads regarding this problem.

Roger.
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Put a belt on the A/C compressor for the quickest and cheapest fix for the belt slipping.
The QUICKEST and CHEAPEST way to fix the squealing PS pump belt is to properly adjust that belt. Once again, I've personally run my 307s with the stock accessory brackets and no A/C belt and have NOT had any squealing issues when the PS pump belt was adjusted per the factory process. This question comes up nearly weekly and the SEARCH function will yield dozens of threads. Here's one that shows exactly how to adjust the PS pump.
Old November 8th, 2014, 05:52 AM

Belts can't do the job with a passing acquaintance with the pulley- they need a good amount of wrap around the pulley for a good grip. Without the AC belt you lose the driving power from that belt with its proper wrap on the steering and WP pulleys.

Got a photo of the setup that sucks?
Old November 8th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The QUICKEST and CHEAPEST way to fix the squealing PS pump belt is to properly adjust that belt. Once again, I've personally run my 307s with the stock accessory brackets and no A/C belt and have NOT had any squealing issues when the PS pump belt was adjusted per the factory process. This question comes up nearly weekly and the SEARCH function will yield dozens of threads. Here's one that shows exactly how to adjust the PS pump.
Mr. P,

The only noise I have is when the alternator belt is on. With the belt just on the P.S belt there is 0 squeal.
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Maybe the alternator itself is making noise?

I am trying to envision this. If a belt goes
Crank - [ps maybe] - Alt - WP - crank, it should have enough wrap on crank [source] and Alt [sink] to perform properly even if heavily loaded electrically. Assuming belt is correct width to fit pulleys, not worn out, and sheaves are not worn.
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
Maybe the alternator itself is making noise?
X2. Alternator front bearing going bad.

By the way, this is the classic way to troubleshoot a squealing accessory problem. Remove one belt at a time until the noise is isolated, then fix the problem.