Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Belt Squeal

Has anyone removed their ac comp. and smog pump and had issues
with the belts squealing. I figured it was b/c all the pull from alt. and ps. pump was on one side, but i dont want to over tighten them & burn out water pump bearings. any suggestions? thanks
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by deltaboy
Has anyone removed their ac comp. and smog pump and had issues
with the belts squealing. I figured it was b/c all the pull from alt. and ps. pump was on one side, but i dont want to over tighten them & burn out water pump bearings. any suggestions? thanks
I assume we're talking about a 307, since this is a common complaint. The whole "one side" argument is false, since cars with alternator only (no PS or A/C) have only one accessory. More to the point, there's ALWAYS a side load on the water pump, since the pull from the belts is not 180 deg apart. Also, I have personally run my 307 without the A/C and A.I.R. pump with no squealing whatsoever. The problem is that most people don't know how to properly adjust the PS pump belt.

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM

thanks alot. but i am still unclear. I thought it was just one bolt on the front (adjustment) and then the nut on the back underneath (pivot point). when i loosen those two the pump pivots freely.
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by deltaboy
thanks alot. but i am still unclear. I thought it was just one bolt on the front (adjustment) and then the nut on the back underneath (pivot point). when i loosen those two the pump pivots freely.
All that means is that the other bolt (it's below the pump snout and thus not visible in the photo above) is loose. You want to tighten it after you properly tension the belt using a screwdriver or pry bar as shown above.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM

ok thanks alot, ima get r done some time this week and let you know ho i made out, thanks