General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

CA black plate question

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM

CA black plate question

hi, i was just told that some 1970 california cars came with black plates and that you could put a set of black plates your classic if you want, is this true? ive never seen a 70 black plate car only 60s, i love the look of CA black plates my 70 sx has newer white plates but if i can buy and put black plates on it i will!! thanks again every1
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM

I think if they were registered before 1/1/70, they got the dreaded 'BLACK PLATE'!!
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Here in Virginia you can plate you classic with original year plates. You need both front and rear and they have to be original plates, not repros, and the number/letter combination can not be used by any other regular current issue plate. You don't have to buy new stickers eah year or two either. I think they look amazing.

A-damn (in ref to my plate number)
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:26 PM

I run a set of original '71 Texas plates, and got a big bill from the Tollway Authority for unpaid tolls...turns out my tag number has been reissued, hasn't caused me any probs..
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Trying to remember member

In Ohio you can register "year of manufacture" plates. Must be OHIO (only) plates of the correct year and are registered in addition to regular historical plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66KZ442.jpg (2.8 KB, 90 views)
081504 019.jpg (87.0 KB, 5 views)
'6909.06.04 001.jpg (101.1 KB, 5 views)
JS109.06.04 006mod.jpg (99.5 KB, 5 views)
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Cali is unique in the US in some of its registration practices - for instance license plates stay with the car, instead of the owner.

I have no direct knowledge of this, but I recall a discussion somewhere else, and the catch was that you either had to be able to prove that the specific plates had originally been with your car, or prove that there was no way to prove it.

I'm sure someone from Paradise will be able to chime in, though.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
Here in Virginia you can plate you classic with original year plates. You need both front and rear and they have to be original plates, not repros, and the number/letter combination can not be used by any other regular current issue plate. ..........
Indiana now has this. When I get closer to the end of my restoration I'm going to shop for an original '68 plate (just need rear in IN)...and maybe find one that has its corresponding little DAV keychain version....!
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm sure someone from Paradise will be able to chime in, though.
But some Ohioans already HAVE answered!

Last edited by jaunty75; November 1st, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM

Geez, who's putting these annoying links at the end of everyone's posts? It's bad enough that the occasional word gets turned into a link that pops up if you even so much as hover your mouse pointer over it. I understand that this helps pay the bills, so OK. But these lengthy, nasty-looking links that appear right under the post is going too far in my opinion.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But some Ohioans already HAVE answered!
D'oh.

I forgot. There's no sarcasm in the Midwest.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Geez, who's putting these annoying links at the end of everyone's posts?
Shhhhhhhhhh!!

THEY'll hear you!

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
........ and that you could put a set of black plates on your classic ........
I don't know anything about "classics" but my '70 Supreme came with black plates. If your '70 came with blue plates, you are out of luck.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/lad/pdfs/yom/new_text.pdf

Norm
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM
bil

Last time I checked in Calif,several-5- years ago,it went something like this.The numbers get re-issued,and go to motorcycles and trailers.You find a set of good plates,have to be in good shape. DMV can tell you if the number is being used.If not,you can get it.If so,bad luck. If you keep your black plate vehicle registered,the plate stays with it.When it goes to a dealer or the plate expires,the number goes back in the pool. My 68 Ford F250 (Yes,I know!) still has the black plates,third owner.You can get an non-driving registration,it costs less,but the vehicle CAN NOT be driven at all-they get real mad. That way you can keep the plates ,and reactivate when you want.Sometime I do this,depends on my work schedule.I will stop in at DMV on my way from LAX,pay the bill,and hook up the battery when I get home! ---bil
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
bil

The post above me came in while I was writing-much better info in his post! ---bil
Old November 2nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

I bought my car in CA with the original "Black" plates back in 91'. I've been in MD since 96' and I'm still keeping my CA registration. I had it in non-driving status for years. Living in MD, I'm probably breaking every rule in the books. CA doesn't care, they get the money. MD probably cares. Sorry if off-topic.
Attached Images
IMG_5937.jpg (59.9 KB, 10 views)
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
bil

Just keep a Cali address-I have addresses in 3 states,vehicles in all.As long as they are paid,screw 'em. ---bil
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

The funny thing is I don't have an address in CA. My registration has my MD address. I'm sure it's not legal but oh well.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Some states don't care where you live.

You can register anything in Vermont at any time.
The catch (and I think it's the same with CA) is that you have to have the CAR in VT at the time you register it, so the DMV clerk can come out and look at the VIN.
Doesn't work if the car is in pieces in your garage.

I believe at one time I had a CA registration in my name in NY. It was part of a long story - bought the car ('68 Colony Park with a Z-code 390) from another guy at college, he was from CA, but had lost the "pink slip" (and, yes, it was pink). Somehow getting a replacement meant it had to come to me as the new owner (this was 30 years ago).
CA had no problem with this, so long as my money[order] was green.
I've probably still got the black plates somewhere...

- Eric
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Some states don't care where you live.
No states care where you live, they care where the car is principally garaged. If your residence is in MD but you keep a car in CA for trips there, it is not only legal but mandatory that the car be registered in CA. I know this does not apply to the case where the car has been in MD since 1996, but that's what the laws say. Same thing here in VA. You can have a car registered out of state if the car is principally garaged in that state. The problem comes when you keep the car in VA but have it registered out of state. VA needs to get their personal property tax cut...
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Registered

I have the blue CA plates for my Vista Cruiser, original owner picked it up from the dealer on 1/4/71. CA plates used to be special and worth an added premium because they were original to the car since new but now it's like everywhere else and doesn't mean that much.
I had the original pink slip for mine since I'm the second owner on paper, it was pink too.
I made a nice photocopy before surrendering it to the Ohio DMV.
I have year of manufacture plates but they have the same yellow background as the Ohio drunk driver "Party plates" judges hand out in traffic court so I just use my hysterical plates to be safe, not that I do anything to attract the fuzz or anything.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

Eventually I'll register it in Maryland as long as I can keep the CA plates or at least one of them. I got a CA title with MD address. I'm sure I slipped through the cracks.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No states care where you live, they care where the car is principally garaged. If your residence is in MD but you keep a car in CA for trips there, it is not only legal but mandatory that the car be registered in CA. I know this does not apply to the case where the car has been in MD since 1996, but that's what the laws say. Same thing here in VA. You can have a car registered out of state if the car is principally garaged in that state. The problem comes when you keep the car in VA but have it registered out of state. VA needs to get their personal property tax cut...
as far as i know that is not true... it matters where the title for the car is. like my durango i had. the plates were for ohio and i lived in texas, the title was in ohio so that is where it is registered to. NOW insurance on the other hand... that is where it is primarily garaged and driven. dont know this to be exactly true but that is what i know from personal experience, but hey i am military so we get away with alot as far as cars go.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I have the blue CA plates for my Vista Cruiser, original owner picked it up from the dealer on 1/4/71. CA plates used to be special and worth an added premium because they were original to the car since new but now it's like everywhere else and doesn't mean that much.
I had the original pink slip for mine since I'm the second owner on paper, it was pink too.
I made a nice photocopy before surrendering it to the Ohio DMV.
I have year of manufacture plates but they have the same yellow background as the Ohio drunk driver "Party plates" judges hand out in traffic court so I just use my hysterical plates to be safe, not that I do anything to attract the fuzz or anything.
ahh the party plates, new mexico used to have that color, but the thing with party plates is they are all numbers no letters
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
bil

In Vermont,you only need to have someone certify the VIN numbers if you buy the vehicle from out of state.Talking older cars,I don't own anything newer than 72.Vermont also has a law that when you transfer a plate,it is legal when you drop it in the mail,just copy the paperwork.Makes for a lot of funny business-fill the form out wrong,they send it back,but you get the use of the plates on the other car in the meantime! ---bil
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I still have them on my 66. When I got it from the impound lot I worked at the time, I went to the DMV to transfer the papers. They tried to tell me that I needed to give them up. I resisted. They told me that I would be responsible for any tickets, etc to which I replied "I work at the impound lot, I know the title is clear". I still have them today. I know the transitional year for black plates was 69 or 70. I've seen lots of 69's with plates that start with "Z" ie ZZD-426. My '66 starts with an "R". Friend's '65 starts with "N". Step Dad's '69 SS 350 Camaro and co workers '69 SS 396 Chevelle has black "Z" plates. Never seen a '70 with a black plate but I can see it happening say if the car was bought when the 70's first hit the lot. The blues had numbers then letters, ie 851-YNA.