General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Buyer beware or at least smarter!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2020, 12:15 AM
Oldscarnut

Buyer beware or at least smarter!

Months ago as I was assembling my pile of parts needed to do the engine swap, i bought a remanufactured starter Made in Mexico from Rock Auto. When it arrived a cursory look at the box showed no damage, and the inner box, padded and built for a starter was fine too. I basically looked at the main parts to make sure they were a match to the Olds engine and put the box on the shelf. As I finally am at the part where the starter goes in, I could not find one of the bolts. When I was matching it up to the block to see what bolt I needed, the solenoid seemed loose/ I took it down to look and the case was shattered. The lower the two poles was bent at an odd angle, and without much wiggling the entire end of the solenoid fell off. The pivot was bent. It was obvious that it was put in the box broken, but since it has been months since I bought it ... A piece of the cast solenoid cap was broken off too, so dropped or hit with a hammer. t thought before I found that that I could simply buy a new solenoid and install it. What I have is a starter motor for parts. Anyway, as I am sure you have read many...,many times in this blog, ALWAYS check your parts...and I would add thoroughly. This was packed to hide the damage, and had I needed it the day it arrived I would be getting a replacement. It was an add-on for Rock Auto to get free shipping on a heavy part though I didn't need it right then. Let the buyer beware! Rock Auto, though not to blame needs to check their sourcing as I am sure this is not the first one.
Old April 27th, 2020, 02:57 AM

Good to know. That goes with any part really. Even GM parts. I ordered some G-body front fenders years ago. I trust my "guy" but for whatever reason I decided to check them for any hidden damage before taking them home. They came in with G-body p/n stickers on the inside of them and the sticker on the box was correct. But they were actually 4th gen F-body fenders. BIG difference. Luckily, it was right there at the GM parts dealership so they were able to fix it right away. I've also had GM trim come in bent and damaged before. Normally, my "guy" would handle it before I got there if he was aware.
Old April 27th, 2020, 03:05 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Last year Rock auto sent me a broken alternator for my 10dn to 12si upgrade, the clock was wrong due to my fault for ordering it like that, but when i took it to the shop to have it re clocked they had to replace broken brushes, so yeah watch out.
Old April 27th, 2020, 03:20 AM

I stopped buying from Rock Auto. I have had nothing but troubles with them.
Old April 27th, 2020, 03:38 AM

I got wrong parts from them twice. Once I ordered 2 tie rod ends. They were both in identical boxes with the same part# but one was fine and the other was a completely wrong part. I sent them pics and it was no problem at all. Second time I ordered tie rod sleeves for a 70 Vista. I looked at them when they came and looked ok. Forty days or so I went to put them on and found they were too big around. They were for a full size Olds 88, etc. This is a problem that still is in the auto catalogs- The Vista Cruiser front end parts are in with the full size where they should be in with the Cutlass,etc. Anyway because I had them for over 30 days they would take them back but I had to pay shipping which was about the same as the cost, so I gave them away. So as said, make sure and check parts out thoroughly as soon as you get them.
Old April 27th, 2020, 04:09 AM

I only buy certain parts from Rock Auto now that I have a small stockpile of new parts that are merely decorative paper weights.

Rock Auto is great for name brand, generic parts. Thing is, the money I save buying from Rock Auto is more than the losses incurred on the occasional paper weights.
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:16 AM

I ordered lifters for my 455 from Rock Auto and got two different parts. I contacted them and they credited me for the lifters that were boxed incorrectly, but I had to go to the auto parts store and order the correct part. It delayed my project more than a week!
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:31 AM

I bought the "last remaining on earth" NOS power trunk lock actuator from Oldsobsolete.com a couple years ago. I paid a stupid amount of money for it too. It was in an NOS plastic wrapper. Had I looked closely at the wrapper I would have seen that there was a small hole in it where someone obviously took it out and returned one with a broken rivet into the wrapper. About two months later I was looking at it, found the hole in the wrapper, removed it and found the broken part. Oldsobsolete.com wouldn't even return my emails. buyer beware. Don't ever buy anything from them.
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Oldsobsolete.com wouldn't even return my emails. buyer beware. Don't ever buy anything from them.
I find that site a great resource for photographs of OEM parts...
The "stupid money" part is why I never buy anything from them.

As for RockAuto, I probably get a package from them every other week. I've only ever had two problems. Once, they sent the wrong part - the P/N was one digit off and someone just pulled the wrong item off the shelf. They sent me a mailing label and the correct part was on it's way as soon as they confirmed the incorrect one had been shipped back. The other time I received an e-brake cable that had clearly been repackaged and returned with the wrong item in the box. As soon as I notified them, then sent the correct part and told me to keep the wrong one. I've really got no complaints.
Old April 27th, 2020, 05:50 AM

In more than 10 years, and close to 40 transactions with RA, I've only had one mix-up. Which they straightened out immediately. I bought 8 new fuel injectors for the Getaway Car ('94 Merc Grand Marquis). Three of the eight "NIB" injectors were actually someone's CORE returns, but in new boxes. I reached out to RA, and had new injectors delivered, with return tags, before I could even re-box the bad units. One other time, this is on me, I received a water pump and radiator for my 2015 GMC truck (known GMC recall issue, it turns out). I made the mistake of sitting on the NIB parts for too long (> 90 days) and they won't take them back at all Go figure. If anyone needs a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500, six cylinder, rad and/or H2O pump, let me know, LOL!
Old April 27th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Administrator

For the most part I've had good experiences with rockauto and still buy from them when the need arises. With that said, Amazon (as a prime member) is my go to now because of free shipping. Most parts that I've needed, including stuff I would have in the past bought through Summit, have been available through them. My recent purchase of rear control arms, sway bar, and bushings this past winter were considerably cheaper with all the discounts.

On a side note with interest rates being so low on my bank accounts, I make more money in rewards spending money, than I do saving it.
Old April 27th, 2020, 06:09 AM

It's not very nice tellin trueth about quality or lack thereof & I know..

As I myself am not very nice
The reason they are called starters is because they're more likely to start a long walk than a high-compression engine

I cannot do anything to repair the Damage Done To You however I'll offer you a 2xhockey stick of a discount on a good starter $100 you pay the shipping hi torque Delco Remy I only use good components and I get no complaints I give you a warranty if you want uncertain if you have your original but I can rebuild that for you if you'd prefer I am a member of the I hate to walk club and I believe starters should work and work well
have over 100 so not like its gunna ding me bad & may ease your attitude towards th way things seem to be headed these days

Last edited by rocketscientis; April 27th, 2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old April 27th, 2020, 06:30 AM

Recently one goofball send cash which I do not recommend at least he sent it properly

He claimed there's too many people at the post office last I knew you weren't supposed to leave the house, how the hell are too many people at the post office of course there could be just one but if he was coughing on you that be too many people
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:32 AM

I wish this was posted earlier, I just ordered a bunch of suspension parts from Rock Auto. They were all Moog components so I'll double check for damage and correct parts. Thanks for posting.
Old April 27th, 2020, 09:34 AM

I've done a # of transactions with RA and have not encountered a problem. Hope I don't jinx myself, just placed an order today.
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:50 AM

Personally I have never had a problem with Rock auto. But that doesn't mean their suppliers didn't mess up. Could happen anywhere.
Old April 27th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
I wish this was posted earlier, I just ordered a bunch of suspension parts from Rock Auto. They were all Moog components so I'll double check for damage and correct parts. Thanks for posting.
Just check your parts for correctness within the window of returns, and you'll be fine. Stuff happens, sometimes a customer is a sneaky a-hole and returns their junk and it gets resold by the company. That can happen with any business that sells products. A good rule of thumb is to not buy something just to put it on the shelf until you get to it, months down the road, especially when the parts are readily available. Obviously, it's a different situation if you find something that is discontinued, but a lot of times you'll run into those types of parts being non-refundable, especially if they were clearance priced.

Old April 27th, 2020, 02:36 PM

I agree Rock auto is a good company and does take care of problems, as long as it is in the time frame they specify.
Old April 27th, 2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by EarlSpilner
Personally I have never had a problem with Rock auto. But that doesn't mean their suppliers didn't mess up. Could happen anywhere.
I've ordered a ton of Moog stuff from Rock Auto and, while there was a mixup (sent one less of something and one more of another I think), they made it right.

The best thing is that their pricing on Moog parts is fantastic. You should have no regrets. The regrets I have are on parts like a thermostat housing, heater core, and a window motor.