General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Black 1964 oldsmobile F-85 V8

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Black 1964 oldsmobile F-85 V8

hi,
i don't know the first thing about cars but i have a fascination with older cars and a man is trying to sell me his 1964 oldsmobile F-85 V8 for $2500 (canadian funds)
it has about 80,000 km on it, and he said he just had the tranny rebuilt but the body needs a little work. (i didn't see rust but i'm not really sure where i should be looking...)
also, the interior looks great.

what kind of things should i be asking him??
i'm assuming it's a gas guzzler...and i'm concerned about the age of the car...if something breaks i'm assuming it's gonna cost and arm and a leg to fix?? is this a lot of money to be asking for a car like this??

if anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance,
jodi
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

Jodi,
Welcome to our site. Car values depend a lot upon condition. The car does have value itself because of the model and the year but if it was rusted through to the frame it would be close to worthless to all except the person who would completely re-condition it. You are right to assume parts would be more than you would expect to pay for a chevy of the same year and similar body style but they aren't completely un-available. There are vendors that provide parts for Oldsmobiles and you can get basic maintenance items like tune-up parts fairly easy. If the car is a driver, meaning you could drive it in it's present condition SAFELY, then probably $2500 Cdn is a fair price. It might be worth a small fee to hire a mechanic whom you trust to inspect the car first. Good luck.
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:23 AM

That sounds like a fair price if the car is in decent shape. Especially if it is a daily driver. Don't forget though that any older car you buy you will end up spending more money on in the long run to keep it running and fixing it up than you will be able to make back on it when selling it. There are very few old cars that you can make money on in the long run. Generally the only people that can are the serious restorers or gearheads. That said, I enjoy Oldsmobiling and wouldn't give it up for all of the tea in China. It is great! Welcome to the site.
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I agree with Dan .According to Hemmings guide A 64 sedan in #4 Fair condition is $2125 A F85 coupe is $3125 These prices are based on what has been sold recently.As Dan said have a mechanic check it over. Agree to pay to take it to a shop just to put it in the air so it can be visually inspected Frame Floors ECT. cars look a lot diffrent from that view. If owner doesn't agree Walk away with a smile .PS Welcome to the site