General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best chromed parts storage practice

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Best chromed parts storage practice

Morning,

Acquired some rechromed moldings over the weekend, and I'll put a coat of wax on them. What's the better thing to keep them in? Newspaper or similar breathable stuff or saran wrap or bubble wrap non-breathable stuff?

Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:27 AM

I don't have much stored chrome but with other related metallic stuff (old gun parts) i never wrap anything that will hold condensation in. Unless you could shrink wrap a part I feel it would be better to allow it to breath and store it in a dry warm place. Just my experience.... Tedd
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Warm and dry. Somewhere where that the warm & dry is constant. Dry basement? If its really long term storage, cosmoline it up. If you want to put it in something, a sealed plastic Rubbermaid container with desiccant along with the cosmoline is good insurance.
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:53 PM

I imagine to be using them in a year or two. I will be moving into my house in a couple months, and will wax them and warp them up in newspaper or similar until then. At that point, I can put them on shelves in the spare bedroom with a sheet over them until they go on the car. Thanks.
Old February 18th, 2014, 05:20 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Id avoid the newspaper. Even newspaper can scratch if your as **** as I am about chrome. something soft like flannel would be better. Sounds like its indoors and in the living space which should be tempered and relatively dry so you really dont need to worry too much about the rust factor. Definitely wax. If its a bumper clear coat the inside or wax the hell out of it.
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Warm and dry. Somewhere where that the warm & dry is constant. Dry basement? If its really long term storage, cosmoline it up. If you want to put it in something, a sealed plastic Rubbermaid container with desiccant along with the cosmoline is good insurance.
Warm is not particularly a bad thing, but warm is not necessary. "Dry and constant temp" is. It is the temperature changes that condense the moisture and that is the only factor in preserving the metal.
If you really want to split hairs, colder is better as corrosion works slower in the cold.
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Shoveling Snow

What I do is wax the part, leave the wax on do not buff the part. Spray with Boeshield and wrap with tissue paper. If you can find oil paper wrap in that on top of the tissue paper. Store in a cardboard box with the top loose as not to trap moisture.find a fairly dry place inside and forget about it. Also wax and Boeshield the back side of the chrome part also.
So far this has worked well for me for the last 30 years.
This method works well for non chrome parts as well except for the wax.