General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett-Jackson an observation

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=pettrix;

That's where the hobby is going and it's not going back. As time marches on, OEM parts will become harder or impossible to find and aftermarket is all that will be left.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------

Its guys like you that should find something else to do with your spare time. Coming here to ClassicOlds to spew about how things are going in our hobby is a waist of your time!
We have no use in reading about this.
Old cars will be on earth until something drastic happens to them, not because you say the hobby is on its way out and never coming back haha.
Many of us do have a few extra $$ and will always find the means to keep our car's running and continue to tinker with them.
CNC machines are capable of making just about anything these days as well, Very quick I might add!
In any event, ........
I do believe the classic car part meets are almost over as Joe P mentioned above, however many guys have chose to go online, rather than load up their trailers, reserve sites regardless of weather, unload/ set-up, then, load up and head back home.
Most of us are now finding the web is the way to go. No packing up , unpacking, just package paid and shipped .
Nothing is going away in this hobby, The muscle cars won't fall in price. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the cars prior to the muscle era and after , will likely take a hit , but they will always be enjoyed by someone.
Maybe you should find something better to occupy your time, rather than coming to a Classic car forum to unload your thoughts.
Jus' sayin'

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; October 8th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old October 8th, 2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
-------------------------

Its guys like you that should find something else to do with your spare time. Coming here to ClassicOlds to spew about how things are going in our hobby is a waist of your time!
We have no use in reading about this.
Old cars will be on earth until something drastic happens to them, not because you say the hobby is on its way out and never coming back haha.
Many of us do have a few extra $$ and will always find the means to keep our car's running and continue to tinker with them.
CNC machines are capable of making just about anything these days as well, Very quick I might add!
In any event, ........
I do believe the classic car part meets are almost over as Joe P mentioned above, however many guys have chose to go online, rather than load up their trailers, reserve sites regardless of weather, unload/ set-up, then, load up and head back home.
Most of us are now finding the web is the way to go. No packing up , unpacking, just package paid and shipped .
Nothing is going away in this hobby, The muscle cars won't fall in price. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the cars prior to the muscle era and after , will likely take a hit , but they will always be enjoyed by someone.
Maybe you should find something better to occupy your time, rather than coming to a Classic car forum to unload your thoughts.
Jus' sayin'

Eric
Old October 8th, 2018, 08:39 PM

I guess I am in good company as Jay Leno is a diehard RestoMod guy:

Jay Leno, A Firm Believer in RestoModding

Haters will hate.
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
Modern designs have to contend with SAFETY designs and AERODYNAMICS. Older muscle cars didn't have to contend with aerodynamics and safety, so designers were able to have more freedom. Crumple zones didn't exist. If you get into a moderate to severe accident in a muscle car, your body is going to suffer serious injuries or death.

With that being said. There were some HIDEOUS muscle cars from the 60's and 70's and mid-late 70's cars were huge boats that lacked appeal & performance for the most part.

Speaking of clay models. Mazda designers still use clay models. Hence the Kodo design. In the end, they still have to be redesigned to meet safety and aerodynamics.
If you think new cars cannot be styled the same as the old musclecars and include the safety features GET REAL!!! All I'm talking about this the SHELL. The chassis, suspension, interior, & drivetrain can all be modern and safe. 3d computers can engineer all the new requirements into any style of vehicle. I'm just saying the new styling SUCKS. 60's & 70's musclecars are in your face stunning, bold, aggressive works of art. They capture an era of auto enthusiasm which will never be replicated.
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Sorry, Pettrix, we're not going to become resto-modders.

Dragline, I'll 'get real' for a second. Numerous safety features require compromised aesthetics that even the body of an old car would not fit over. I'll list a few:

1. 5 mph bumpers. You will never see chrome metal bumpers on a car ever again, with maybe a special exception.
2. Curtain side airbags. The thin, sexy A pillars of yesteryear are gone. We currently pack wire harnesses, airbags, and moonroof drain hoses in there.
3. High doors for side impact. No more hanging your elbow out the window.
4. Small blind spots. Rollover and crash protection mandate huge c pillars (that's the sail panel).

Now, cars can look good, but compare a 71 Challenger to a 17 Challenger. Yes, it looks good, but it looks like the high school girl you dated after the freshman 50.
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Numerous safety features require compromised aesthetics that even the body of an old car would not fit over. I'll list a few:
You forgot the new pedestrian impact laws, which is why all new cars have a bulbous hoodline. And even more importantly, all new cars are styled in the wind tunnel to satisfy CAFE rules, which is why nearly every new car looks identical in silhouette. It's the same reason why all commercial jets look exactly the same.
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You forgot the new pedestrian impact laws, which is why all new cars have a bulbous hoodline. And even more importantly, all new cars are styled in the wind tunnel to satisfy CAFE rules, which is why nearly every new car looks identical in silhouette. It's the same reason why all commercial jets look exactly the same.
The last sentence made me really laugh. Excellent example, Joe!

I'm not quite sure why these two guys feel the need to justify / argue / convince anyone. Do what makes you happy. If the car you have lacks original drivetrain, or has the original that is ho-hum-no-value-add, then go nuts and restomod. If your car has the original drivetrain AND it's a desirable powerplant, then why F with it? Now, the other restomod changes, like brakes, suspension, and steering, IMHO are not that big of a deal. The Jay Leno-penned article he linked to even has Jay saying that; 1) he only makes changes that are reversible, and 2) he keeps the original parts in case he ever wants to change the car back to original. That in and of itself negates part of the argument!

Is it really a case of "haters gonna hate"? I don't think so, it's just a friggin' personal preference.
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess I am in good company as Jay Leno is a diehard RestoMod guy:

Jay Leno, A Firm Believer in RestoModding

Haters will hate.
So you are a friend of Jay Leno. I don't think we have ever had anybody on here that knows Jay. As most of us on here tell anybody, {"it is your car and your money. Do what ever pleases you". If we all like the same thing all our cars would be red or blue or white or whatever color. Don't come on this site and belittle people who want a fully restored muscle car or any other car. I could never do the restoration costpenn (Joe) does. A restomod would be way easier. So if you want to restomod your car, go right ahead. Your car and your money. DON'T cast stones at other people.
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
If you think new cars cannot be styled the same as the old musclecars and include the safety features GET REAL!!! All I'm talking about this the SHELL. The chassis, suspension, interior, & drivetrain can all be modern and safe. 3d computers can engineer all the new requirements into any style of vehicle. I'm just saying the new styling SUCKS. 60's & 70's musclecars are in your face stunning, bold, aggressive works of art. They capture an era of auto enthusiasm which will never be replicated.
Like others mentioned already. The main reasons why newer vehicles can't use the same type of aggressive body lines of older muscle cars is mainly due to safety reasons and aerodynamic reasons.

An old muscle car would NOT pass the safety designs and would do horribly in a wind tunnel. They were not aerodynamic and they were not safe in impacts like modern vehicles are.

So these factors play into the design of modern cars. It must be safe and aerodynamic. That makes it more difficult to design with abandon like the cars of yesteryear were.

Last edited by pettrix; October 9th, 2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
So you are a friend of Jay Leno. I don't think we have ever had anybody on here that knows Jay. As most of us on here tell anybody, {"it is your car and your money. Do what ever pleases you". If we all like the same thing all our cars would be red or blue or white or whatever color. Don't come on this site and belittle people who want a fully restored muscle car or any other car. I could never do the restoration costpenn (Joe) does. A restomod would be way easier. So if you want to restomod your car, go right ahead. Your car and your money. DON'T cast stones at other people.
I attacked nobody. Go back and read the posts. I was viciously attacked by KODA, 76OLDS and a few others. Read their posts and then read mine. Show me where I told them to leave the site or disparaged them as trolls. I said nothing like that but those words were directed towards me.

I never "case stones" at purists. I merely stated that the top sellers today are restomods. The younger generation that does like the older muscle cars, they want restomods. The purists demographic is typically the 60+ year old. The restomod demographic is the 30+ year old crowd.
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM

I attacked nobody. Go back and read the posts. I was viciously attacked by KODA, 76OLDS and a few others. Read their posts and then read mine. Show me where I told them to leave the site or disparaged them as trolls. I said nothing like that but those words were directed towards me.

I never "case stones" at purists. I merely stated that the top sellers today are restomods. The younger generation that does like the older muscle cars, they want restomods. The purists demographic is typically the 60+ year old. The restomod demographic is the 30+ year old crowd.
How about externally regulated alternators? Most guys have switched to internal regulation. How about points ignition systems? Junk. Most switched to high-voltage distributors with ignition boxes. Cork gaskets on engines? Junk.
Two insults of peoples' vehicles.

Modifying them offends the pursuits but boo hoo.
Insolence.

To be honest, I am not a fan of "purists" who get offended when people modify their muscle cars with modern parts.
Insult.

The guys who grew up as teenagers during the muscle car era are now in their 60's and once they get into their 70's, the old muscle car craze will start to fade out as they start to fade away. It's part of life, dust to dust.
Insult.

People like to romanticize the past. They try and re-imagine a past that in reality didn't exist.
Insult.

Point is, this craze will die off when the old guard begins to age into their 70s and start unloading these cars.
Insult.

The purists don't like restomods and things get heated.
Here are your insults. I've been here. I can tell a new poster who is coming here disturbing the peace to cut it out. You can't, because you're new, and you're the one causing the problem. That's why it is heated, because you are stirring **** up.

Nobody wants what you're selling. I did not tell you to leave the site earlier, nor will I tell you to do it now. I WILL tell you that your attitude sucks, and you need to quit causing trouble or people other than I will decide if you stay.

Last edited by Koda; October 9th, 2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Jeff

All y'all too sensitive. Written words on a site by someone you don't know. Stop letting it bother you.
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric needs to close this thread. Nothing to be gained by continuing it. I regret wasting my time commenting on it.
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:37 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I wish I could believe that.

I just got back from a week at Fall Carlisle. What a dismal turnout of both vendors and buyers. The weather was the best it's been in probably five years, but nearly the entire north field was empty of vendors. Lots of discussion among the vendors about what this means. Admittedly the last 3-4 years have seen horrible weather and crowds were down. Many vendors pulled out or at least scaled back - Inline and Right Stuff used to have multiple booths throughout the swap meet. Now each had only one. TP Tools and Totally Stainless have stopped coming. I'm sure this is partly due to very low revenue from those last few years and a return on investment calculation, but still.

More worrisome is that even the few people wandering the aisles weren't really buying much. Apparently no one is building anything any more, they just want to buy a complete car or pay someone to restore theirs. They have no interest in working with their hands. I can remember arriving at 7 AM and seeing people carrying hoods, fenders, wheels, etc out to their cars. Nobody was doing that at all this time. When younger folks were walking with older ones, they were mostly looking at their phones. Even those who are building cars want to order parts on line instead of searching through rusty, greasy parts at swap meets. I talked to vendors who lamented the downturns at Englishtown and even Charlotte. I watched the now-defunct Summer Carlisle swap meet wither and die. It will be a shame if the same happens to Fall in ten years or so.

The one thing I find interesting is that Eastwood famously stopped coming to swap meets some years ago to concentrate on mail order sales. They were back with a good-sized booth. More interestingly, they are significantly expanding their line of restoration tools and products. Who's buying this stuff and what are they doing with it?
Same in the UK Joe. It used to be that many shows would have plenty of cars (mostly not contenders for trophies) would have a tarp by them with parts for sale, plenty of vendors and a few shows even had a section set aside for cars for sale.

But falling attendances mean the vendors don't show up because it isn't worthwhile for them, fewer people show up because the vendors aren't there, can you see a pattern emerging?
Also when I first got into American cars around 30 years ago you could pick up a roadworthy car for loose change, a decent car for not much more, and parts were cheaper than for British cars. But traditional V8 American iron hasn't been built in any significant quantity for many years, and there will only be less cars around as time goes by.

I watched a BJ auction a few weeks ago and I thought prices were coming back to sensible levels again, certainly genuine fine examples of highly collectible cars were fetching plenty of money, but I thought there were some decent cars being sold at prices that were within reach of those with more modest means. What do you guys think?.

Roger.
Old October 9th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=pettrix;1129764]I attacked nobody. Go back and read the posts. I was viciously attacked by 76OLDS .

Ahh, I'm sorry..... I still love you pettrix xox!
Old October 9th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=rustyroger;1129783]

I watched a BJ auction a few weeks ago and I thought prices were coming back to sensible levels again, certainly genuine fine examples of highly collectible cars were fetching plenty of money, but I thought there were some decent cars being sold at prices that were within reach of those with more modest means. What do you guys think?.

--------------------------------

I agree,
Some cars sold within reach of the blue collar working man who will enjoy driving them, maintaining them, and possibly freshen them up in time, as funds allow.

Eric

Old October 9th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Pettrix's QuoteI never "case stones" at purists. I merely stated that the top sellers today are restomods. The younger generation that does like the older muscle cars, they want restomods. The purists demographic is typically the 60+ year old. The restomod demographic is the 30+ year old crowd.
Most of the guys I talk to at car shows are in their early 40's to late 50's and there are many who are older, but the majority I'm involved with are my age bracket, 50. We are purists to an extent. My Cutlass by show standards would be considered a resto mod. No high end disc brakes, no Hotchkis front end, but the drive train, although period correct, is not original to the car. When I get out to shows and cruise nights there's a mix, but I'd say at least 65% are not mods or damn good clones, which by default could make them mods. No one argues, no one turns their nose up. As for younger guys, maybe mods are popular. I and many here can't see the logic in taking a 442, Starfire, GTO, 2+2, GS/GSX, Wildcat or the like and turning it into a restomod. There are many cars from all manufacturers people don't see modding. There are also many low end cars that aren't modded. Maybe it's in my area only, I don't know. I was under 10 years old when we had places where guys would street race and they would "Hot Rod" their cars to make them faster. I have older brothers who did it. The ones that kept them either changed them back or wished they never tossed the parts to do so. The more rare these cars get the more pure we will get.

You made your point, you're a mod guy, so mod away. You're not changing anyones mind here who's a purist. Pride, for lack of a better word, is what we have the closer to pure we get. We like the feel of the pure car, we like the way they handle and we like that we have to put thought and concern into driving them that way. You don't seem to understand that as not all understand why you like mods. Different strokes for different folks.

Back in the day I couldn't understand "Rat Rods" or "Hot Rods", as I started to work with the torch and welder more I grew to admire them. Now I love them. If I had time I might even consider attempting a build. A lot goes into them, way beyond my talents, and I'm sure most here would agree with my statement. Nowhere and I mean nowhere have I seen guys belittle or bully mods aside for the big wheel cars (Donks). I'll never understand them, but it's not mine so I my thoughts mean nothing. I personally don't judge them either. In my 20's I did judge mods and 1/4 mile cars, but as time went on arrogance and attitude diminished. As I stated in my PM to you we are a dying breed, the car movement, so we need to stick together and learn to respect what others like and don't like. By your quote I'd think you are in your 30's, so driving pure cars is not something you're comfortable with or used to. It's where we started and that's probably the reason we enjoy the feel.

As many have said over and over in the last 20 plus posts, it's your car and your money do what make you happy just don't try to convince anyone your way, however popular or unpopular, is what's better. I think we've beat this up enough so put it to rest.

Last edited by zeeke; October 9th, 2018 at 03:39 PM.