General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett-Jackson an observation

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2018, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Barrett-Jackson an observation

Watched a few hours of the auction Saturday. Is it me or are the crazies with a lot of money running the insane asylum? It seems the resto mod craze is totally out of control. How do you justify $2-300k+ money on something that was built to drive?
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Watched a few hours of the auction Saturday. Is it me or are the crazies with a lot of money running the insane asylum? It seems the resto mod craze is totally out of control. How do you justify $2-300k+ money on something that was built to drive?
And again, the BJ Syndrome just gets worse...
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:00 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The commentators mentioned how the restomods seemed to be outpricing the restorations. They are probably easier to build since you don't have to spend all that time and money on NOS parts. You just go to Summit and buy a part or make one and have it chrome plated. I was amazed at most of the prices for restored and resto mod cars. I guess it is good times for these guys. There were some cars that sold for less than the restoration costs though.
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:51 AM
Gary

I recorded some of their broadcast yesterday and was just shaking my head at the money that was being paid for some of those vehicles. It appeared to me everything was well above 6 figures and a few above 7. Crazy money is out their I guess.
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:17 AM
Rog

watched all week guess anyone with a w 30 is smiling by the prices they were bringing 85k to 125k surprised to see so many at the same show there haven't been in the past
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rog
watched all week guess anyone with a w 30 is smiling by the prices they were bringing 85k to 125k surprised to see so many at the same show there haven't been in the past
I got even money that 50% were clones.
Old January 21st, 2018, 09:22 AM

Just watch the TV show Counting Cars and its the same stupid money spending on cookie cutter cars with cookie cutter engines....
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:25 AM
Forward into the Past

The best part of the few minutes of the BJ auction I watched was host Chris Jacobs' T-shirt that had a 1960s vintage Olds rocket logo with the words "Rocket Scientist" below it.
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:30 AM

Was very cool to see a 53 Fiesta get 247,500. Lot of people had a lot os cash to spend.
Old January 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM

What I took away from a couple of hours watching was they glorified the restomods with full camera coverage, interior, motor, chassis-cam,etc. when a '70 442 came across the block they parked it and the camera was locked on the front of the car, like a still photograph. No other views whatsoever, and no informative commentary. Would be interesting to see these cars back in '71 on the show when they were new. Seems like all they were interested this year was blowing their own horn with the EST 71 on the license plate of every vehicle. Oh, and why tease viewers with the constant coverage during commercials? Ditch the commercials altogether, they make enough $$$$ with the consignments
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chumley
Ditch the commercials altogether, they make enough $$$$ with the consignments
Commercials are profit for the network, not BJ.
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:52 AM
Olds Fever

One vehicle that caught my interest was the 2019 Corvette ZR1, serial number 1, donated by GM to a charity to build homes for disabled Vets and first responders... $925,000... I am sure the high price in this case was do mostly to the cause...
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I saw that and I saw the new Ford GT go for $2.5 million. It was donated by Ron Pratt and 100% of the proceeds went for a foundation benefiting autism. That one was pretty exciting.
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:21 PM

My body guy laughs at me over my purist attitude. He is building custom cars and restomods and making big money on them. He said it is so easy building a custom car because it is what ever you want to do to it and nothing has to be researched to get it right. Just go to the junk yard and get a modern engine and toss it in and add anything modern to an old car. Other than that it is just doing great paint and body work. I guess it would be easier when anything goes and people will buy it.
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:43 PM

I like watching the first and last days, looking for deals that I could actually get if I wanted them bad enough. The other days are interesting, but do get crazy.
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
One vehicle that caught my interest was the 2019 Corvette ZR1, serial number 1, donated by GM to a charity to build homes for disabled Vets and first responders... $925,000... I am sure the high price in this case was do mostly to the cause...
Rick Hendrick buys most of the serial #1 Corvettes - including this one - when they hit the auctions. Of course he does it to fund the various charities and he gets a write off as well.

Same reason that Linda Vaughan's old $12,000 '79 Hurst/Olds keeps being re-auctioned for six figures - it's largely to support the charities.

Terry
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:29 AM

I have never sold or purchased a vehicle at any auction. But, I find watching BJ from

Scottsdale to be an awesome event every year. I sense that some members are really put off by these high end auctions. I did attend BJ Scottsdale a few years ago, spoke to some of the guys that are actually are on Velocity car resto shows and enjoyed the day. Unless you have been there, it is hard to describe the wide range of vehicles on display. It is a first class event and that is why it has soared in popularity. I have friends that don't understand the difference from an A body vs a pickup, yet they watch this event from Thurs to Sunday every year. Not sure how that cannot be anything but positive for the hobby. As an owner of a fully restored 70-442 vert 4 speed, I also find it interesting to note the trends in sales price points from yr to yr. Btw, the mkt is clearly up, just like the stock mkt. As for people that are willing and able to purchase expensive cars, I say good for them, if that is how they wish to spend their money. Lastly, I am not sure how much money is made from these A Body rides selling for $100-130k. My car would sell for $100k+ I believe, except for one small problem (I have about $115k invested in my car, no money to be made, not that I would sell it anyway). Unless you are doing the work, these restorations cost a load of money, hence, they bring big $$, even though few are big money makers. I would guess that most sellers are losing money.

Last edited by capstoneclub; January 23rd, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Scottsdale to be an awesome event every year. I sense that some members are really put off by these high end auctions. I did attend BJ Scottsdale a few years ago, spoke to some of the guys that are actually are on Velocity car resto shows and enjoyed the day. Unless you have been there, it is hard to describe the wide range of vehicles on display. It is a first class event and that is why it has soared in popularity. I have friends that don't understand the difference from an A body vs a pickup, yet that watch this event from Thurs to Sunday every year. Not sure how that cannot be anything but positive for the hobby. As an owner of a fully restored 70-442 vert 4 speed, I also find it interesting to note the trends in sales price points from yr to yr. Btw, the mkt is clearly up, just like the stock mkt. As for people that are willing and able to purchase expensive cars, I say good for them, if that is how they wish to spend their money. Lastly, I am not sure how much money is made from these A Body rides selling for $100-130k. My car would sell for $100k+ I believe, except for one small problem (I have about $115k invested in my car, no money to be made). Unless you are doing the work, these restorations cost a load of money, hence, they bring big $$, even though few are big money makers. I would guess that most sellers are losing money.

Well said--------
Old January 22nd, 2018, 05:30 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself from someone who lives in Scottsdale.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Scottsdale to be an awesome event every year. I sense that some members are really put off by these high end auctions. I did attend BJ Scottsdale a few years ago, spoke to some of the guys that are actually are on Velocity car resto shows and enjoyed the day. Unless you have been there, it is hard to describe the wide range of vehicles on display. It is a first class event and that is why it has soared in popularity. I have friends that don't understand the difference from an A body vs a pickup, yet that watch this event from Thurs to Sunday every year. Not sure how that cannot be anything but positive for the hobby. As an owner of a fully restored 70-442 vert 4 speed, I also find it interesting to note the trends in sales price points from yr to yr. Btw, the mkt is clearly up, just like the stock mkt. As for people that are willing and able to purchase expensive cars, I say good for them, if that is how they wish to spend their money. Lastly, I am not sure how much money is made from these A Body rides selling for $100-130k. My car would sell for $100k+ I believe, except for one small problem (I have about $115k invested in my car, no money to be made). Unless you are doing the work, these restorations cost a load of money, hence, they bring big $$, even though few are big money makers. I would guess that most sellers are losing money.

I can agree with that, I think the problem many people have is how some cars are misrepresented. I do know it has affected the parts car market. I would say 50% of the parts car deals I make, the seller brings up a selling price from BJ or Mecum. Sometime I even seen cars that just continue to rot into the ground because nobody will give the $10K for the junk Cutlass they are selling. "but one sold on BJ for that" lol
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:39 AM

I can unsterstand the Resto mod world because I would have a hard time driving my car as much as I intend too if I spent all the time and money looking for NOS parts. I'd be afraid of damaging something not easily replaced. That being said 200+ for a car that is meant as a driver is hard to fathom for me.

On on a side note seeing all the corvettes, chevelles and mustangs cross the stage sure made me glad I am working on an Olds.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:42 AM

I usually only watch it during the week, when the normal cars are going through. Prices are high but not insane. By the time Saturday comes I find other things to do.

I still think that Mecum is more fun and the cars more reasonably priced (not cheap by any means, but at least more reasonable).
Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:24 AM

I think there were a large portion of the BJ buying crowd that were confident about the current state of the economy and feeling the freedom of spending some money.

However I bet there were a lot of 6 and 7 figure hangovers then next day...like uuh oh ...what did I get caught up in.

Taking care of a car in "perfect" condition is a lot like taking care of an old infirm relative - lots of delicate handling and worry.

Also I noticed a lot of dealer cars run through that were in reality "lipstick on a pig"....dealer cars cobbled together to catch a fevered buyer....cars that sold for 2 or 3 times what they would sell for on eBay to a clear thinking buyer.

That's my thoughts (but thanks for pumping up the value of all our cars right?)
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:50 PM

I used to take care of a cell site at Westworld in Scottsdale. It was like a free ticket to see the cars that were going through there. I wasn't able to access the tents or "corrals" but the entire facility was full of beautiful vehicles, and a few dogs too.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:31 AM

Unfortunately, seeing all these resto mods being sold at auctions and seen on so-called 'restoration' TV shows, the general public and upcoming next generation of car nuts think this is the way to go and are ruining even more muscle cars.

Resto mods are basically yesterday's street rods today, and should be registered in every state as such. With many of these resto mods upgraded with today's running gear & technology, why not just buy a new car? The whole idea of owning and working on 'old' cars is their simplicity and actually 'driving' the car.

Unlike the cars from the 20's, 30's, and 40's which were street rodded (i.e resto modded) with drivetrains, suspensions, and other parts from later years to make them more drivable on 'modern roadways' and conditions, muscle cars were purposely built by the factories to go faster and handle different conditions, and are still very much drivable on any road or condition even 40-50 years later without major changes or upgrades.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by anthonyP
With many of these resto mods upgraded with today's running gear & technology, why not just buy a new car?
Possibly because all new cars look like crap.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
With all of the money spent on resto mods, it could be spent on aftermarket parts that make newer cars look like an older model, even another brand or model - instead of ruining an actual old car.

Last edited by anthonyP; January 23rd, 2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

With all of the money spent on resto mods, it could be spent on aftermarket parts that make newer cars look like an older model, even another brand or model - instead of ruining an actual old car.

I don't disagree with you.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:52 AM

I agree with Joe, "almost" any of the least expensive new cars do about everything better than any '70 442, GTO, GS, GTX, etc.. They stop better, handle better, are way more fuel efficient, are much safer BUT about all of them suck styling wise. I don't think there is any way a new car will ever look as good as what most of us love due to the EPA, insurance companies, CAFE standards etc....
So I find it hard to fault some people that add modern touches to muscle cars to make them faster, safer, easier to drive, etc... They act like a new car but still have great looks too. Pros & cons to both sides.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:54 AM

Unlike the cars from the 20's, 30's, and 40's which were street rodded (i.e resto modded) with drivetrains, suspensions, and other parts from later years to make them more drivable on 'modern roadways' and conditions, muscle cars were purposely built by the factories to go faster and handle different conditions, and are still very much drivable on any road or condition even 40-50 years later without major changes or upgrades.
But they (60s/70s cars) still do not compare to the level of safety, performance or convenience of today's car. A new Honda Accord, stock vs stock, can out accelerate 90% of the 1970 "Pinnacle of Muscle" cars and do it safer with 3 times the mpg while keeping your coffee and your butt warm.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Or look the same but this is mostly subjective. You don't think folks said that about the Superbird, Rallye 350 or Rambler after growing up with seeing Duesenbergs?

I think the new Mustang, Camaro and Vette are great looking. Its just you see a lot of those on the road right now but the same can be said about how many of the 68 - 72 cars one saw on the road in 1973. My 2004 Mercury Marauder becomes uniquer every year - and its a four door, who would have ever thought.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:09 AM

And this thread started out about the insane money spent. That is what the market dictates, whats frustrating is when the market allows for stretched or completely misrepresented cars going for way more money than they should.

I don't begrudge the super wealthy for dropping big coin on these cars — because they can. In reality, for some of these people for them to spend $200,000 on a 2+ car with some incorrect parts is no different than many of us buying a fantastic 1970 442 in #3- driver condition for $500. I think almost everyone on this forum would figure out how to borrow that money or sell a kitchen table to jump on that opportunity. The level of disposable income some of these people have is unimaginable. Its a drop in the bucket.

I tell all my friends looking for a muscle car start by looking at a 5 year old Mustang Charger or Challenger get way more for your money. If that doesn't cut it look for a Cutlass, Skylark or a Tempest, same basic car and save way more money over a 442, GS or GTO. For the non enthusiast its a great way to have a Sunday cruiser at a decent price.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:13 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Several years ago I was in Denver and saw what appeared to be a 53 Corvette. It was actually a C5 Corvette that had been rebodied to look like a 53. The guy told me GM wanted to release a limited number of them but could not meet the 5mph bumper requirements. I have no idea of that story was true but it was pretty cool. Here is a picture of one. I know it is not white like a 53 should be. The one I saw was white.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.g...5&pid=3.1&rm=2
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I saw a bunch of variations of the Corvette conversions bringing $2-300k on Saturday. Why not just buy a new ZR1 for around $120k?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:34 AM

I saw a bunch of variations of the Corvette conversions bringing $2-300k on Saturday. Why not just buy a new ZR1 for around $120k?
Everybody wants something different. That is why vehicles get modified. So we can have a classic Olds but it is different than everyone else's.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
And this thread started out about the insane money spent. That is what the market dictates, whats frustrating is when the market allows for stretched or completely misrepresented cars going for way more money than they should.

I don't begrudge the super wealthy for dropping big coin on these cars — because they can. In reality, for some of these people for them to spend $200,000 on a 2+ car with some incorrect parts is no different than many of us buying a fantastic 1970 442 in #3- driver condition for $500. I think almost everyone on this forum would figure out how to borrow that money or sell a kitchen table to jump on that opportunity. The level of disposable income some of these people have is unimaginable. Its a drop in the bucket.

I tell all my friends looking for a muscle car start by looking at a 5 year old Mustang Charger or Challenger get way more for your money. If that doesn't cut it look for a Cutlass, Skylark or a Tempest, same basic car and save way more money over a 442, GS or GTO. For the non enthusiast its a great way to have a Sunday cruiser at a decent price.
Steven this is the reason I fell in the B body crowd I can get in hobby for less money and still have nice a car. The downside no parts Availability on b body Oldsmobile .
Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by eric66
Steven this is the reason I fell in the B body crowd I can get in hobby for less money and still have nice a car. The downside no parts Availability on b body Oldsmobile .

Yep, literally get a ton of value out of those cars, I always tell folks to look for those too, especially the rarer performance versions that seem way under-priced like the 88 W33 or a Buick Wildcat. I had a '70 Wildcat two door, 455, AC sporty looking and you never ever see them.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:51 PM

My car has a 455, AC ,posit traction ,400 turbo transmission.37,000 original miles.The guy who sold it to me had it two years before I came along.If it was a Cutlass supreme in the condition I found it it would been double the price.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Yep, literally get a ton of value out of those cars, I always tell folks to look for those too, especially the rarer performance versions that seem way under-priced like the 88 W33 or a Buick Wildcat. I had a '70 Wildcat two door, 455, AC sporty looking and you never ever see them.
When I was just a yout', my Grandparents had a '67 Wildcat with a 430 in it. You could play tennis in that back seat.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:12 PM

For some guys a $500,000.00 car is lunch money. If you have the money and a love for the car $400,000.00 or $500,000.00 has little difference. They want it and pay whatever it takes to get it. That just the way it is. Saw a Car show on TV called the Guild. Guy has a 65 California GT 250 Spyder. Basically a $25 million dollar car. Doesn't want to drive it on the road in case it gets crashed, stolen, etc. So he hires the Guild to make him a replica. They start with sheets of aluminum and build an identical car from pictures and measurements. Will "only" cost him about $1.25 million. Cheap in his estimate. Certainly not cheap in my world. It's all relative in the end.

Mike

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson an observation