General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett jackson

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:14 PM

bronze4423.jpgbronze4424.jpgbronze4425.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by napoleon solo
i don't have any first hand proof but i've heard and seen some cars (after being re-done) that were barrett jackson bought for fat dollars that were not what they were claimed to be. After closer inspection when the euphoria wears off - hemi cars that are actually 318 cars, shoddy restorations with quarters pounded in and new ones installed over top. Who certifies these cars? I have a 4 dr brown automatic chevette diesel i want to sell and i'm setting my reserve at $60k. It is rare right? :d
open channel d
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:54 AM

The end

WELL, The end of another BJ has ***, I don't know if it was as good for you, as it was for me, but I enjoyed it(LOL), It looks to me like the car hobby is in pretty good shape. I saw a lot of good deals go through , and some very strong money for some, as well as some strong money for Oldsmobiles. My fantasy bidding is even getting better (620-880 on my 2 accounts), after bidding on about 15 of them. We even had some good strong debate in this thread about BJ and the effects it has on car pricing, (oh yea and *** RAPING LOL). All in all, not a bad weekend to stay inside and enjoy the show. It was more fun having you guys around to stir things up. MONDAY, TIME TO GO TO WORK
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:39 AM

The auction was fun and the Saturday Car show was huge with more Oldsmobiles than I ever see in California shows, all for sale. Everyone was fishing for a big sale. I got to meet Chris and see his survivor 68 H/O one of my favorite cars at the show. Got to ride in Freds 1970 w-30 convt and see his car collection. Joe was at the show with his very nice 1970 442 4 speed blue convertible.

RS auction was a zoo. Decent prices for Oldsmobiles and actually strong compared to many of the other cars. There were 5 w-30 convertible owners hanging out at the auction, very cool to see everyone. The blue w-30 convertible 4 speed car was in my opinion the buy of the auction, documented car bought under market. My friend Elliott sold his 71 w-30 convertible for $120k. Will not go to the BJ auction again but it was fun one time. Lee
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM

Lee was nice 2 meet you hope i can see your car someday ! Chris
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
delete

All in all I enjoy the Mecum telecasts more. The cars are more obtainable. Seeing high end restomods going off for six figure sums is something I can't relate to.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM

Oh yeah, i about shat when i saw that 66' 442 go for $110k, i was like "holy crap, im glad im getting my Olds ducks in a row while ive still got the chance" haha. Honestly i really feel like the market is shifting towards Olds right now, lots of people have done the GTO thing and theyre getting bored of it, i think the 442s are going to be coming on strong soon.

One thing i heard on Barret Jackson that i wanted to validate on here is that they said the 442s had larger sway bars(?) than the other A-bodies and so they were better handling cars. Is this true or just crap they made up? Aside from just the sway bars were they the best handing A-bodies? It seems like every time i hear about the handling specifics on a 442 its either feast or famine. They're either the best handling mid-sized muscle car out there or else they're terrible, floaty, understeering boats
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM

As far as I know, the 4-4-2 always had a rear sway bar, which is why it always was on the top of the list of handling. In contrast, the GTO didn't receive one till 1970. I can't speak for other cars but I would be willing to bet that, other than perhaps (?) some Trans-Am homologation specials, they didn't become more common till 1970.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM

Interesting, i wonder if there was any difference from 70 on up. The W30s got larger sway bars didnt they?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vega
Interesting, i wonder if there was any difference from 70 on up. The W30s got larger sway bars didnt they?
no same size as the 442, the 442 was one of the first muscle cars to come standard with the rear anti-roll bar as stated which made it a much better handling car than many in its day - that carried on until 70 when others caught up
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vega
One thing i heard on Barret Jackson that i wanted to validate on here is that they said the 442s had larger sway bars(?) than the other A-bodies and so they were better handling cars. Is this true or just crap they made up? Aside from just the sway bars were they the best handing A-bodies? It seems like every time i hear about the handling specifics on a 442 its either feast or famine. They're either the best handling mid-sized muscle car out there or else they're terrible, floaty, understeering boats

Actually the '70-'72 SS Chevelle had a larger factory front sway bar (1 1/8") than it's A-body cousin the 442 (1.0"). Both car's rear bars were the same at 7/8". I was told this was by design and that the 442's FE2 suspension with the slightly smaller bar actually handled BETTER than the Chevelle because with the slightly smaller front bar it was a better front-to-rear balance and complimented the overall package. The Chevelle F41 larger front bar was a little too stiff and resulted in more understeer. I've always known it to be that the 442s (and Buick GS believe it or not) were the best handling of all the A-bodies.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
656.1 1999OLDSMOBILESILHOUETTEOSV #2General Motors one-off customized SEMA show car. 4-wheel Brembo brakes, custom wheels, exhaust, one-off aero package, including side skirts, custom Candy Apple paint with olds logos ghosted in. Coilover suspension and leather seats. Sold on scrap title.E662 1962OLDSMOBILESTARFIRE2 DOOR HARDTOPComplete frame-on restoration 8 years old. Features Vintage Air, a Custom Car Audio AM/FM/CD and American wheels. Factory wheels and wheel covers included. Runs and drives great.E686.1 1968OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEBuilt in Lansing, MI, this car has had a body-off restoration with a matching numbers 400cid, 4 barrel V8 and an automatic transmission.E715.2 1970OLDSMOBILECUTLASS 442CONVERTIBLEFinished in very rare Jade Green over gold interior mated to an even more rare 4-speed manual transmission. This fresh, full frame-off restoration retains it's original matching numbers 455/365hp motor.E928 1960OLDSMOBILE98CUSTOM CONVERTIBLEFull custom, air ride suspension, power windows, power brakes, power steering, rebuilt 394/325hp V8 and custom sound system. A beautiful cruiser.E962.1 1971OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEVery rare 442 convertible finished in its original color of Ebony Black. Loaded with options with a show quality restoration.E1012 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30CONVERTIBLEW30 4-speed convertible, one of 96. Underwent complete nut and bolt, body-off restoration.E1028 1956OLDSMOBILESUPER 88CONVERTIBLEBeautiful body-off restoration in Carnival Red with red leather upholstery, 324cid Rocket V8, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes and power top.E1046 1969OLDSMOBILECUTLASS2 DOOR HARDTOP1969 Cutlass with the W31 package features a non-original 350cid V8 engine. It is equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission. Black with a red vinyl interior and is equipped with a date code correct Ram Rod 350cid V8 engine and some aftermarket upgrades.E1245.3 1953OLDSMOBILE98CONVERTIBLEThis is the first presentation for this concours Oldsmobile convertible with 303cid "Rocket" V8 engine, automatic transmission, highly optioned and magnificent throughout.E1252 1957OLDSMOBILESUPER 88J2 CONVERTIBLENicely restored example of this rare Oldsmobile and features the optional 312/300hp Rocket V8. Beautifully finished in blue and white with matching interior and equipped with a Continental kit, dual exhaust, power top and fender skirts.E1256 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30POST COUPE matching numbers W30 post coupe with a 4-speed. Well documented with original special order purchase and ownership invoices. It was still titled in original owners name until recently. Only 142 4-speed W machines built.E1256.1 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30CONVERTIBLERare matching numbers 442 convertible with a W30 455cid engine and factory air conditioning. Body-off restoration. Loaded with options. Documentation includes the original Protect-O-Plate, Build Card, registrations, notarized letters and much more.E1322.1 1962OLDSMOBILESTARFIRECONVERTIBLEComplete body-off restoration six years in the making. New interior, boot and Hartz cloth top. All power options. All bright work replaced. Engine and transmission rebuilt to factory specifications.E1569 1954OLDSMOBILE CUSTOM CONVERTIBLEThis car was used in the movie The Late Show starring Art Carnet, Lily Tomlin and Bill Macy. Movie was written and directed by three-time Oscar Winner Robert Benton. Front end is a '54 Olds and the rear is a '54 Cadillac.
E1573.1 1966OLDSMOBILECUTLASS 4422 DOOR HARDTOPStunning restored 442, top to bottom and completed 2010 in original Autumn Bronze with black vinyl hardtop and black interior. Highly optioned car with factory Tri-Power, power windows, air conditioning, power steering, power brakes and tach.1578 1970OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEMatching numbers drivetrain, W25 Ram Air 455 motor, documented with two Build Sheets and Protect-O-Plate.

I have seen MANY of these EXACT cars for sale through other sources and at MUCH lower prices. While I like to watch the auctions to see different cars, this is the reason I do not pat attention to B/J prices.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Random comments:
A 2006 anything is NOT a collector car!
Last night a 1963 Ford Falcon Sprint (conv.) sold for $6K more than a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible.
One does not take a 1947 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Sedan and paint it candy apple red, install crushed velvet interior and expect to get good money for it.
I agree.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:21 PM

But do you get a "FREE" pen???
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Palm Springs

On now, started at 2pm, all weekend

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...tionforms.aspx
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM

selling Linda's 79 H/O now
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Some folks watch the BJ auction and think it respresents the entire collector car hobby, when in reality it only accounts for the upper percentile of cars sold. I watched some of the Palm Beach coverage, and got tired of seeing barking dogs and children bidding on cars. Someone in the TV truck must have thought those camera shots were 'cute'.
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM

I recorded it this year for the first time...Excellent. I can now blow through the constant commercials they have every freakin two seconds...roughly only 2-3 cars goes across before another break. Now, I just Fast FWD through those...And any other vehicles I'm not interested in. I did see some '70 442 converts doing strong $ at $110k and loved the '70 SX that went across the block too. Overall, a good showing for Olds in my book. Mopars seem to do hold as well and less crazy money on restomods.
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Yes indeed, recording and fast forwarding are the only way to go. You are correct that very few cars in a row crossing the block are able to be seen without commercial interruption! And yes, Olds did quite well for itself at Palm Beach. Sure surprised me.
Old April 16th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Always room for one more

Does anybody remember about a year ago on the BJ auction there was a 78 Corvette Pace Car, full decals, and was beat to death. I turned on the TV only to catch the last couple seconds of that car.

It was I believe being sold by GM, and was some sort of test mule. This poor guy had scratches over every inch, a few bumps and scars. I would love to know what the story on that car was. I tried searching BJ's website but came up with nothing.

Mike