General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett jackson

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Barrett jackson

Love it or hate it , the Barrett Jackson auction starts live tonight, fantasy bidding starts Thursday. I personally enjoy watching these fools give their money away. I also like seeing the charity cars go through. Have fun
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM

theres a 53 ford truck going through tomorrow night that I did some work on. The lot number is 427.1 .
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM

how do you go about watching it? or do you just follow online?
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM

speed

Its on speed tv, live, the list is online. I'll try to post it.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a "Barrett-Jackson" car, but I have attended a Mecum Auction (Kansas City) and watched MANY affordable cars pass over the line and under the gavel.

I am nearly 100% positive once my kids are through college, and I have retired for a second time, I am headed to Mecum for my dream car.

Just my .02... and your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

NS
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM

a couple of cars at barrett jackson have sold very cheap. you gotta catch the ones from the first day because they are the cheapest ones usually. Im gonna check it out when it heads to Orange County in a few months. Should be a blast!
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not trying to be pessimistic about Barrett Jackson but I can only take so much of it before it bores me to tears. Yes there's some great cars, but you see the same ones over and over and over and over.....

BJ is also the biggest contributor to the uninformed general car owner thinking he has a collector car worth a fortune, when in fact he doesn't. Kind of like the constant argument about whether NOS means it's worth a second mortgage.

Don't know if I want to go there and pay money just so I can bid, and then pay a buyers premium on top of that. You need some serious 'extra' cash that I don't have to go there to buy cars. Can anyone spare 2,000,000.00? Pay you back some Tuesday.....
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM

The buyers at BJ are really government officials so they are used to spending millions on crap that doesnt work at least these cars look pretty.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Not trying to be pessimistic about Barrett Jackson but I can only take so much of it before it bores me to tears. Yes there's some great cars, but you see the same ones over and over and over and over.....

BJ is also the biggest contributor to the uninformed general car owner thinking he has a collector car worth a fortune, when in fact he doesn't. Kind of like the constant argument about whether NOS means it's worth a second mortgage.

Don't know if I want to go there and pay money just so I can bid, and then pay a buyers premium on top of that. You need some serious 'extra' cash that I don't have to go there to buy cars. Can anyone spare 2,000,000.00? Pay you back some Tuesday.....
i agree lol it does make people(including me at first) think every old car is a collector car
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:14 PM

I don't think most car people are really that stupid. If some are, "so be it", I could watch all of it if I could. I just love cars, and seeing what people can dream up and build, and some of the historic cars go through. It also gets people off their asses, and into the hobby.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassjim
I don't think most car people are really that stupid. If some are, "so be it", I could watch all of it if I could. I just love cars, and seeing what people can dream up and build, and some of the historic cars go through. It also gets people off their asses, and into the hobby.
Interesting counterpoint. I agree up to a point. More power to you if you can watch it all....I DO appreciate and like watching the novelty items that come across the bloc.

I think you are right about the mentality of most car folks. The others who make the wierd calls must be the ones who just wished they were car people.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Going up tomorrow for the day. Always a fun event to attend.
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Always room for one more

I think Barrett Jackson is just a bunch of drunk people with too much money.

I've run across several people who have old junkers in their garage or barn(such as a ragged out Camaro rusted into the ground) who think their car is worth the same as that tricked out, one off, mint, restored, whatever car that crosses the block. Very frustrating sometimes.

The BJ auction is also good at doing a disservice to car groups, if you ask me. Case in point, the Amphicar community. Several years ago a freshly restored car went for $115K. No one knows why. Obviously the seller was thrilled. Up to that point decent cars were going for 25-30K. Now those same cars are going for at least twice that. Well, let me say that the asking prices are twice that, don't know how many are sold for that much. But, now the mindset is that's what they are worth and no one wants to bring their price back down. Ultimately it is the people's choice, I realize, but it's all started by that auction.

And don't get me started on that fat b*stard Craig Jackson sitting up there eying his shill bidders.

Mike
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

I don't have any first hand proof but I've heard and seen some cars (after being re-done) that were Barrett Jackson bought for fat dollars that were not what they were claimed to be. After closer inspection when the euphoria wears off - hemi cars that are actually 318 cars, shoddy restorations with quarters pounded in and new ones installed over top. Who certifies these cars? I have a 4 dr brown automatic chevette diesel I want to sell and I'm setting my reserve at $60k. It is RARE right?
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
I don't have any first hand proof but I've heard and seen some cars (after being re-done) that were Barrett Jackson bought for fat dollars that were not what they were claimed to be. After closer inspection when the euphoria wears off - hemi cars that are actually 318 cars, shoddy restorations with quarters pounded in and new ones installed over top. Who certifies these cars? I have a 4 dr brown automatic chevette diesel I want to sell and I'm setting my reserve at $60k. It is RARE right?
I also have heard similar stories but more on the other side of the coin related to provenance. The stories I've heard relate more to cowl tag re-stamping to make the car more authentic. FYI you can already buy a restamp cowl tag for your car. Just have to look on line.

I also know of one ebay seller that offered to reproduce an exact copy of a build sheet for whatever year and model of Chev. He will even 'age' 'weather' or damage the document to satisfy any judge looking for that kind of indicator that the car was 'authentic'. I know this is true because I emailed him and asked. He gave that info. Curious as hell I asked if he could do a Lansing Olds build sheet with any options I specified. Answer: NO, they haven't got that far into research and production, YET. So you gotta know it's coming. Soon even the elusive Lansing build sheets that were never in cars will start showing up in 'unmolested absolutely original' cars that never were built that way by the factory. And no, even if I wanted to get one for my car I wouldn't because it's not the original build sheet and it would not be ethical to represent it as such.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Looks like it's time again for the annual Barrett-Jackson thread, or is it rant?
The show is definitely a spectacle, and not for every pocketbook. (at least not mine) This year I might check out Russo & Steele instead, or the Silver Auction. I guess the best part about it is living here this time of year, when all these great cars come to AZ. Most of the cars also wind up in the local paper for sale, and sometimes sellers just park along the roadside near the auction sites.
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Random comments:
A 2006 anything is NOT a collector car!
Last night a 1963 Ford Falcon Sprint (conv.) sold for $6K more than a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible.
One does not take a 1947 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Sedan and paint it candy apple red, install crushed velvet interior and expect to get good money for it.
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Here's a perfect example of how two people who have no idea what a car is worth can drive the market to insane levels.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=323&ln=668&pop=0&it=1

There hasn't ever been a 68 442 4 speed vert that had sold for even HALF of the price of this car. It wasn't a W30, there was NOTHING special about it other than two guys apparently got carried away
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R

I agree, Allan R . The uninformed general car owner part.But I do find it entertaining.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I DVR it so I can fast forward through all the BS and just look at the cars - like a car show in your living room - I know I'll never buy or sell a car there so I take it at face value....

Hey - I do have a "Rare" 1984 Caliente with ~80k on it - should fetch a couple mortgage payments, no?

My favorite BJ-Coined Phrase: "Recreation"

Seems to me that's a synonym for "Fake"
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:14 AM
MOTORHEAD

Oldsmobiles at scottsdale 2012 partial list

656.1 1999OLDSMOBILESILHOUETTEOSV #2General Motors one-off customized SEMA show car. 4-wheel Brembo brakes, custom wheels, exhaust, one-off aero package, including side skirts, custom Candy Apple paint with olds logos ghosted in. Coilover suspension and leather seats. Sold on scrap title.E662 1962OLDSMOBILESTARFIRE2 DOOR HARDTOPComplete frame-on restoration 8 years old. Features Vintage Air, a Custom Car Audio AM/FM/CD and American wheels. Factory wheels and wheel covers included. Runs and drives great.E686.1 1968OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEBuilt in Lansing, MI, this car has had a body-off restoration with a matching numbers 400cid, 4 barrel V8 and an automatic transmission.E715.2 1970OLDSMOBILECUTLASS 442CONVERTIBLEFinished in very rare Jade Green over gold interior mated to an even more rare 4-speed manual transmission. This fresh, full frame-off restoration retains it's original matching numbers 455/365hp motor.E928 1960OLDSMOBILE98CUSTOM CONVERTIBLEFull custom, air ride suspension, power windows, power brakes, power steering, rebuilt 394/325hp V8 and custom sound system. A beautiful cruiser.E962.1 1971OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEVery rare 442 convertible finished in its original color of Ebony Black. Loaded with options with a show quality restoration.E1012 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30CONVERTIBLEW30 4-speed convertible, one of 96. Underwent complete nut and bolt, body-off restoration.E1028 1956OLDSMOBILESUPER 88CONVERTIBLEBeautiful body-off restoration in Carnival Red with red leather upholstery, 324cid Rocket V8, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes and power top.E1046 1969OLDSMOBILECUTLASS2 DOOR HARDTOP1969 Cutlass with the W31 package features a non-original 350cid V8 engine. It is equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission. Black with a red vinyl interior and is equipped with a date code correct Ram Rod 350cid V8 engine and some aftermarket upgrades.E1245.3 1953OLDSMOBILE98CONVERTIBLEThis is the first presentation for this concours Oldsmobile convertible with 303cid "Rocket" V8 engine, automatic transmission, highly optioned and magnificent throughout.E1252 1957OLDSMOBILESUPER 88J2 CONVERTIBLENicely restored example of this rare Oldsmobile and features the optional 312/300hp Rocket V8. Beautifully finished in blue and white with matching interior and equipped with a Continental kit, dual exhaust, power top and fender skirts.E1256 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30POST COUPE matching numbers W30 post coupe with a 4-speed. Well documented with original special order purchase and ownership invoices. It was still titled in original owners name until recently. Only 142 4-speed W machines built.E1256.1 1970OLDSMOBILE442 W30CONVERTIBLERare matching numbers 442 convertible with a W30 455cid engine and factory air conditioning. Body-off restoration. Loaded with options. Documentation includes the original Protect-O-Plate, Build Card, registrations, notarized letters and much more.E1322.1 1962OLDSMOBILESTARFIRECONVERTIBLEComplete body-off restoration six years in the making. New interior, boot and Hartz cloth top. All power options. All bright work replaced. Engine and transmission rebuilt to factory specifications.E1569 1954OLDSMOBILE CUSTOM CONVERTIBLEThis car was used in the movie The Late Show starring Art Carnet, Lily Tomlin and Bill Macy. Movie was written and directed by three-time Oscar Winner Robert Benton. Front end is a '54 Olds and the rear is a '54 Cadillac.
E1573.1 1966OLDSMOBILECUTLASS 4422 DOOR HARDTOPStunning restored 442, top to bottom and completed 2010 in original Autumn Bronze with black vinyl hardtop and black interior. Highly optioned car with factory Tri-Power, power windows, air conditioning, power steering, power brakes and tach.1578 1970OLDSMOBILE442CONVERTIBLEMatching numbers drivetrain, W25 Ram Air 455 motor, documented with two Build Sheets and Protect-O-Plate.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:40 AM

I will be a Russo on Friday and BJ on Saturday. Friend is selling his silver 71 w-30 convertible Friday night at RS. Then I want to see the oldsmobiles on Saturday. I will miss the blue 1970 w-30 convertible at BJ on Friday. If anyone has information on the documentation I would be interested to find out how the car is being called documented. There is also a real stage I convertible 4 speed that should be a good buy for someone that likes Buicks. Hope to see some of you there. PM me if you want to meet up.

Lee

Last edited by leepear; January 18th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Been to a BJ auction. found better buys before the auction in the field. It can be entertaining. But the hipe can bore you to tears. I watch bits on TV during commercials of other programs
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM

Everyone's viewpoint has validity. I don't doubt that there is downright fraud going on there, and if your buying at any auction, you must do your homework or you will end up with buyers remorse (been there). But that is what an auction is, getting people caught up in it, wanting to beat that other bidder, more than you want the item, and pay top dollar, and this auction is not for everyone, (not for me), but at least BJis a no reserve auction. I like the DVR idea, wish I still had one.
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
1970 442

Just DVR the whole auction, and zoom through it. Out of a 6-hour broadcast, I'm usually done in 15-20 minutes, only pausing to watch interesting cars.

What does "it's Barrett-Jackson time again" even mean anymore? Don't they have 6 auctions a year, all televised? And Mecum has another 7 or 8, and then there's Russo Steele, and RM Auctions.

I saw the Milt Robson collection on TV, and all his rare ragtop 4-speed muscle cars sold for half of their estimated value. Prices are WAY down, the only blips on the screen are when sellers shill bid, then keep their car. The next time at auction, they state the car bid to XXX dollars last time. And sometimes when they say they sold the car, they didn't. The car ends up back with the owner. It's all a shell game, and it's very corrupt. These guys need to artificially boost prices any way they can. So when you hear of a car selling for huge money, don't believe. It's probably back with the owner.

The auction game is as bad as politics now. These sellers will do or say anything to make money.

Last edited by WhatIf; January 18th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Here's a perfect example of how two people who have no idea what a car is worth can drive the market to insane levels.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=323&ln=668&pop=0&it=1

There hasn't ever been a 68 442 4 speed vert that had sold for even HALF of the price of this car. It wasn't a W30, there was NOTHING special about it other than two guys apparently got carried away
Reminds of...Bobby Hull decided he liked black cows...went to an auction where he paid 80000 big ones for a black angus coww
...and then every black cow in the pasture was worth huge $...the poor guy who was not use, to these $, had to wait till the artificial market, the Alice in Wonderland market had gone away, ripped up by the big bad wolf, till he could get back into the black cow market!...................................see it all the time........

Ted
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM

The price we pay to live in a "FREE SOCIETY".

Last edited by cutlassjim; January 18th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
1970 442

If ya don't have a DVR, just tape it VHS. It's amazing how much crap you can bypass. They load 5 solid minutes of commercials during each break, and then they spend 15 minutes (at least) on charity cars.

Real car guys don't buy cars at these auctions. The buyers are clueless, and that's why you see so many rebodies, restamps, and other cobbled up messes going through these auctions. The buyers typically don't visit web forums (like this) to get information. For these buyers, it's all about the status of saying they bought a car from Barrett-Jackson. And the more they pay, the more than can boast to their friends. It's about image, and with rich people, that's all they have is image.

The key phrase that the Barrett-Jackson assistants use, when it appears a bidder has had enough, is, "What's the matter, can't you afford it?" That's like calling Marty McFly a chicken.
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM
delete

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a "Barrett-Jackson" car, but I have attended a Mecum Auction (Kansas City) and watched MANY affordable cars pass over the line and under the gavel.

NS
I watch both shows with interest but won't sit there for six hours straight. Steve Magnante from Hot Rod offers some interesting commentary on the BJ broadcasts. The rest of them don't offer too much insight. Mecum def offers more driver quality cars. Its interesting when they give you the engine bay shot & it features leaking valve covers & surface rust.
I remember early in the history of putting these on TV two knuckleheads were bidding on a '69 Z28. The two of them went back & forth & it gaveled for $102K when that was huge money for those cars. A few cars later another '69 Z crosses the block & the guy that lost out on the 1st car wins the 2nd for something like $60K or $65K. The beauty of an auction is you just need to azzholes that really want it.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM

It is a great time of the year to be in the desert. Just got back from the show and as usual enjoyed the event and the great cars. Most of the people don't buy but come for the show that they put on.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Hey guys I agree with Allen R boring . for me many beautiful cars but not enough OLDS .
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:02 PM

I find the whole auction scene interesting. Flippers that buy dozens of cars to try to resell, shill bidders, poorly done cars that look great on tv, the fake bids to see if anyone in the audience is really interested in he car, great people watching, people with money that don't look like they have money and people without money that want to look like they are rich. It will be very fun for the day and a half I spend at the auctions and the other two days of 75 degree weather, one of the best desert botanical gardens in the country and meeting up with car folks makes the trip a very fun time. Lee
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:31 PM
1970 442

Lee has the right attitude.
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by leepear
I find the whole auction scene interesting. Flippers that buy dozens of cars to try to resell, shill bidders, poorly done cars that look great on tv, the fake bids to see if anyone in the audience is really interested in he car, great people watching, people with money that don't look like they have money and people without money that want to look like they are rich. It will be very fun for the day and a half I spend at the auctions and the other two days of 75 degree weather, one of the best desert botanical gardens in the country and meeting up with car folks makes the trip a very fun time. Lee
Hope you have a great time. Maybe one day I'll try it instead of watching it. Be sure to take some pics of the 'good ones' that catch your eyes (and I don't mean just cars either..)

PS I'm not rich but if you find it in your heart to loan me $82,000.000.00 for about 10,000 years I might pay it back someday... By then I could have bought and played with all the fun rides I could drive in my lifetime.
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM

Good to get some perspective from someone who was there, I would love to check it out live some day. The cars get better day by day, the priciest stuff on Saturday night. That 80 some thousand dollar COE was interesting. An Amphi Car went for 49k, glad to see that market regulate itself.

Last edited by cutlassjim; January 19th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:36 AM

Sadly, most of the Olds pictured above as being in the B-J catalog will never see a second of air time on the Speed Channel Coverage. After all, they have to cover the "Collector Cars," like the 2010 Chevy!
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM

I go to the Mecum auction here in Chicago almost every year with never a thought of buying a car. I take it for what its worth, its like a giant car show (except you have to pay admission). I have seen great cars sell for top dollar, great cars sell for nothing, bad cars sell for way too much and have seen great bargains for the common person.

Early and very late in the auction you can find bargains. I have seen many cars go for under 10k that were absolutely mint. Many of these cars you can't buy the parts to fix up for the sale price let alone the labor that goes in it.

I also saw a "tribute" 69 HO convertible sell for 45k and then the buyer backed out - the seller was pissed, it want back through at the end of the evening and didn't even hit 20k If I remember correctly (It shouldn't have in the first place IMHO)

Just like Lee said its interesting to see the most disheveled looking people buying the most expensive cars, or me ending up standing next to a car magazine editor or a really knowledgeable car guy talking about the history of certain cars. You don't get that at most car shows or on TV.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:00 AM

My future father in law once owned the 1974 z28 lot#452 that sold last night. I rode in the car several times and it was a nice car with lots of options. I believe he paid right at about 20,000 for the car, kept it a year or so and recently sold it for about 21,000. The guy that bought it was a consigner who sold cars at auctions. The same car that had been bought for 20 and 21 grand within the last year and a half was sold for 28000 plus the 10% buyers fee last night with no changes to the car whatsoever. I think part of the buying at the BJ show is prestige and just flat out showing off that you have money. I personally would not buy a car at this auction but I would like to go see it in person. I think just walking around and seeing the attractions would be fun like a huge car show. Just dont think I would buy anything there.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Just DVR the whole auction, and zoom through it. Out of a 6-hour broadcast, I'm usually done in 15-20 minutes, only pausing to watch interesting cars.
EXACTLY what I do!
I couldn't believe 2 guys got into a 'pissing contest' over a '69(?) Camaro RS convertible that wasn't anything special (no 'SS', small block, etc.) and paid $80k for it!!!! Paying $50k over market value is definately a case of more money than sense!
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
EXACTLY what I do!
I couldn't believe 2 guys got into a 'pissing contest' over a '69(?) Camaro RS convertible that wasn't anything special (no 'SS', small block, etc.) and paid $80k for it!!!! Paying $50k over market value is definately a case of more money than sense!
Not unlike attendance at sporting events - the ticket price is usually inversely proportional to the knowledge of the person in the seat.

Quick Reply: Barrett jackson