General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM

Barn Find

Well the other day I found a shed that has 2 442's and a 65 Vette in it, all covered in dust and bird poo. I could tell the one 442 was a 72, but couldn't get a good look at the other one. I tracked down who owned the shed and called him today.

The guy said he'll never sell these cars, as he is a 442 lover and is actually a judge at car shows all around the midwest. The 72 is all original and would've been a perfect car for me, as that's the year I love most. I was hoping to get a deal on this one, but sounds like it's not going to happen. He did give me all of his info and told me that if I ever need anything to call him and he'll help me find parts or whatever because I guess he has an extensive list of 442 owners around the midwest.

I asked if he would let me take some pictures of the car when he comes around, and he said that shouldn't be an issue. I'll post some pics when I get them...I'm excited to see this car close up!!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM

I have a guy like that the next town over! He has a 1969 442 4-speed sitting in his back yard. It's been there for the 15 years I have seen it. The ground has overtaken the rims and the car is about 4 inches off the ground now! He is a recluse and will not call me back when I leave notes to sell the car. I think it's got about 5 more years and it's done fer good. Might have a few good parts on it then!!! I'm sure he is going to RESTORE it any day now, yea right.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72442clone
Well the other day I found a shed that has 2 442's and a 65 Vette in it, all covered in dust and bird poo. I could tell the one 442 was a 72, but couldn't get a good look at the other one. I tracked down who owned the shed and called him today.

The guy said he'll never sell these cars, as he is a 442 lover and is actually a judge at car shows all around the midwest. The 72 is all original and would've been a perfect car for me, as that's the year I love most. I was hoping to get a deal on this one, but sounds like it's not going to happen. He did give me all of his info and told me that if I ever need anything to call him and he'll help me find parts or whatever because I guess he has an extensive list of 442 owners around the midwest.

I asked if he would let me take some pictures of the car when he comes around, and he said that shouldn't be an issue. I'll post some pics when I get them...I'm excited to see this car close up!!
He's an Olds Lover? Horse Hockey!! Anyone who would let those cars collect dust and bird poop doesn't have any understanding of chemical reactions on paint. If they've been in a shed, they could just as easily have rodent damage in the engine bay and interior of the car. Sounds to me like you just ran into the proverbial liar who lives in a dream world. And if he judges cars, he should judge the condition he keeps his own in too. Shame on him. That's 3 cars that could be out in the sun showing their glory of bygone days. I'll wait for your photos.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM

He sounds as bad as my uncles friend. He has a 70 442 4 speed in Alabama letting it Rot away... The farm animals have dented the roof in from climing on it... He will not turn it loose... SMH
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by HurstOlds1775
I have a guy like that the next town over! He has a 1969 442 4-speed sitting in his back yard. It's been there for the 15 years I have seen it. The ground has overtaken the rims and the car is about 4 inches off the ground now! He is a recluse and will not call me back when I leave notes to sell the car. I think it's got about 5 more years and it's done fer good. Might have a few good parts on it then!!! I'm sure he is going to RESTORE it any day now, yea right.
lol, are you in indiana? i know of a 69 4 speed that fits that exact description. car and owner.

would love to see pics of the barn find when you get them.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Barn Find

I know!! I wouldn't allow these cars to be sitting in a shed in that condition either!! If I had them, they would at least be stored properly until I could do something with them.

Supposedly he has a few other 442's in "museum condition." I can't wait to meet up with him and see what he has.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Alb

Barn Find

A guy I worked with for 20 years has a 69 442. He rebuilt the motor(455) in 1987 and turned a rod bearing after 1500 miles. The car had been sitting in his barn since then. I tried several times to buy it from him. Then 3 years ago when my mom was in the hospitol, her nurse was this guys wife. We got to talking about where I worked and she said that her husband worked at the same place. I said that I know him and does he still have the 442. She said yes and would I please buy it. She wanted rid of it.So I called him and he said that he didn't want to sell it at this time. Well last friday I get a call from him. He said that he was ready to sell it.But it is really in bad shape. Going to go and look at it on tuesday. I hope it can be restored. But from the sound of things it is pretty bad. If the price is right I just might buy it for a parts car. I'll have to wait and see. I will get some pics and see what you guys think.
Alb
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:24 AM

The one I've been trying to buy for about 8 years is a 1970 W30. The correct engine is in the trunk, a different 455 under the hood so who knows what the story is on the drivetrain. It's sad to see cars like this going away, but I bet many of us have seen and or are watching something like this.

John
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:37 AM

I've been watching a 70 Plymouth GTX 440 sitting under a carport and a 67 Nova SS in a backyard for 5 years. I've made contact with the owners but they're both reluctant to sell.
The GTX is in pretty good shape the Nova is in bad shape but it's all there.
If I ever get any of these they would be used to fund my 69 or maybe a second 69.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:37 AM

I stopped and looked at a 68 442 this past sat. I drive by it everyday on my way to work, but there is never anyone there. Saturday I saw a truck and stopped. Same story, not for sale the owner wants to fix it up, blah, blah. He seems to be a pretty cool guy, and he did let me take a quick look at it. It looks to be very complete and a solid car to restore. I B.S.ed with him for a while and told him if she would sell, just lay something against one of the tires and I would stop by the next time he was there.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM

it's a shame that people have these cars just doing nothing, all cuz they want to say "oh, i have a such & such car, blah, blah, blah"....it's too bad they can't just let people like us make a hobby out of it and bring it back to life!!! i leave my car alone for two weeks and there's spider webs here and there...i can't imagine leaving it outside on grass for 5 years!!! or in a raggedy old shed, definately critters to be found there!! many years ago i had to find an oil filter bracket for my 330, i bought one off of some guy in nebraska who had a couple small blocks laying around, so he pulled one of and mailed it to me....when i opened the box, there was about 15 mean looking spiders inside!! must have been living inside this thing and then got thrown in the box without the guy noticing!! i hate spiders!!! don't know what kind they were, l just left the bracket outside for a few hours so the spiders could run away, then blew out the holes with an airgun to clean out the webs. but critters can definately make themselves at home ANYWHERE!!
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
it's a shame that people have these cars just doing nothing, all cuz they want to say "oh, i have a such & such car, blah, blah, blah"....it's too bad they can't just let people like us make a hobby out of it and bring it back to life!!!!
A lot of us just give up on the cars. Either we save for years to buy them, or you spend your last few dollars to try something you really wanted and it breaks, whatever the case is. No one wants to lose money on a car they have emotional connections to. So we let them sit, until there is nothing left and at that point we know it's not worth saving, and we hope someone buys them.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
lol, are you in indiana? i know of a 69 4 speed that fits that exact description. car and owner.
No the car is in Mass. It has a lot less rust on it for a New England car SINCE IT HAS NOT BEEN DRIVEN FOR 30 YEARS IN THE SALT WINTERS!!!! A sad sight to see. It's facing forward to the road in his back yard looking like it wants to leave it's kidnapper. I will try to take a picture of it and post it.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM

I guy close to me has 6 or 8 old cars setting in back and to the side of his tavern.Three of them are Olds' I keep telling him i'd like to buy AC brackets and pulleys.He just says ask me again later.I say you know this isn't Nevada!(it's Pa.) Last time I drove by the 98's rear bumper was half on the ground like the frame just rusted off and couldn't support the weight.What'a gona do.And he has to be abought 80.
railguy
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:52 PM

I found a Rallye 350 several years ago about 10 minutes from my house. The plates on it are from 1980. So, it was on the road for 10 years & has been sitting for 31 F*^(%)$g years!! It is under a sheltered car port so it's not total junk(yet). It appears to be mostly complete with the hood, air cleaner, spoiler, rims, sway bar, sport mirrors, & sport wheel. The car is very rusty & I keep in touch with the owner about buying it, but no luck yet.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:36 PM

The crazy part of them that made them save the cars for 30 yrs is the same crazy part that makes em refuse to give em up even when they know these are rotting away... I hate people like this very frustrating trying to reason with them. However Ive found 67 vette vert with 20k original miles in a barn in KS and a 70 cuda 383 3 spd original owner in CO.
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
delete

A friend of mine was in contact with a guy that had a car sitting around for ages. IIRC it was a Buick GS350 in rough shape pretty bare bones. The guy finally was ready to sell & tells my friend $15K for it! After all that the ask was 5x what the car was worth.
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I found a Rallye 350 several years ago about 10 minutes from my house. The plates on it are from 1980. So, it was on the road for 10 years & has been sitting for 31 F*^(%)$g years!! It is under a sheltered car port so it's not total junk(yet). It appears to be mostly complete with the hood, air cleaner, spoiler, rims, sway bar, sport mirrors, & sport wheel. The car is very rusty & I keep in touch with the owner about buying it, but no luck yet.
Sometimes it works out for us collectors, particularly now with the current economic conditions. I just bought my Rallye 350 for $2000, from the owner of the local Olds delaership. He'd bought it in 1987, never did anything with it. Sadly, he died a few days after I bought it. The OAI hood is in good shape, but the car has chrome bumpers and the sway bar and rear spoiler were MIA. I could tell that the sway bar had been removed, and I can see the spoiler holes filled with Bondo inside the trunk.

FWIW, I also recently bought a '71 Buick GS455 Stage 1 car for $1000! I dropped the fuel tank over the weekend and the build sheet confirmed that it was a factory Stage 1. It has a non-original 455 in it, but the value is there to restore the car.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LF compressed.jpg (92.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by halfmoontrail; July 13th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Registered car nut

Driveway finds

I left a business card on a 68 Cutlass months back, never heard back.
Should finish my 65 first I suppose.
My buddy north of Seattle sent me a picture of a Superbird in his neighborhood under a blue tarp.
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM

I think we all know about cars like that. I live in the big city. Guy across the alley has a 55 chev pick up. When I moved here 26 years ago it was all restored, need some interior. Has not moved an inch. I see it rot more every week. Same guy, 56 chev Nomad. Same storey, been sitting 25+ years. Same guy, 63 Split window vette. He came over one day and I was helping him with his carb. He had broke of the fuel inlet fitting told him he need to have the fitting drill and heli-coiled, been sitting 20 years. Same guy 2007 Chevy HRH. Same thing, sitting 4 years now. So now Iam going to see how long it takes to go from a brand new car to a piece of rotted junk right before my eyes. Without ever driving it! I say 22 years!!

Mike 77, 1990 corvette convertible 25K original miles bought in 1993 ,been sitting in storage 4 years, No wait I AM GOING TO RESTORE IT. On it's 25 birthday! Really!! I promise!

Mike