General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone around Mount Vernon, Indiana?

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2022, 03:59 PM

Anyone around Mount Vernon, Indiana?

Hello all, If any of you live near Mount Vernon, INo you have any experience with a car lot called Autocar Trader 312 College Ave, Mt. Vernon, IN 47620 812-831-3535 They have a 77 442 for sale which looks pretty nice on the website and the price isn't too outrageous compared to some I've seen. I was thinking of calling them and asking about it, but I figured I would check with the great people on this site first. I'm a little concerned because there are no pictures of the undercarriage and we know how rust can eat these cars up, but I imagine they could snap a few pics for me.

I live in Colorado and have never bought a car from out of state. My plan would be to see if my offer was good for them, then go out there, have a look and if I liked what I saw, ideally, drive it home (Road trip!). Any advice is welcome.

Thanks, everyone!

Spoiler

Old February 11th, 2022, 09:52 PM

My Vernon is 200 miles from me, I’d look if it was closer. I’ll be heading south in a few weeks, if it’s still available let me know. Looks like my trip south will require a 40 mile detour, not that big a deal.

I like your idea. If I had to do some of my project cars over again, I’d do exactly what your thinking. I’d much rather spend the money on airfare and gas driving a rust free project car home, as opposed to spending the money on a body repairs.
Old February 12th, 2022, 12:02 PM

It's some 30 miles from me. They're open to 6:30 pm weekdays, I might be able to get there by 5 one day as it is the other direction from my work. I can go inspect it for you, but please call them, get them to send you more pictures, and discuss it with them first, that way I would be expected, and I would know more about which areas to concentrate on. I don't want to roll up as someone's envoy and not have the other party not know about it beforehand.
Old February 12th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Thanks, Matt and Koda, I appreciate it. I didn't get a chance to call them today, but I'll keep you posted if it goes anywhere. I agree, I would like for them to send a few pics, particularly of the undercarriage. We get spoiled out west with the lack of rust and then panic if we see any at all! Those mid-70s Cutlasses also tended to rust around the rear window, which I think was a general GM problem in those days. From the pics this one looks pretty clean, but we'll see how they are over the phone this week.
Old February 12th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Looks like a nice car from the internet pictures but for sure need more. I am to far away also or I would go look for you. I think that is about 2 hours from me
Old February 19th, 2022, 05:08 PM

Car must have sold

Hey Matt and Koda,

It looks like that 442 must have sold, because the day after I emailed about it the car disappeared off the site. Would have been nice if they had sent me a reply to say the car had sold and the ad just hadn't been taken down yet, but hey, that's the state of customer service these days, I guess. Thanks for the offer to go look at it, and if you are ever looking at a Colorado car, feel free to reach out.