General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

any views about where the stock market is going

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2013 | 06:39 AM
morgan

any views about where the stock market is going

I have been watching the market lately and it has been at record high's... a slight down turn as of now, wonder if prices will maintain or a major pull back is in the future ...
Old February 21st, 2013 | 06:54 AM

The Fed announced yesterday a possible end to QE (quantitative easing) which amounts to no more free money. Wall street has been loving the free money (via printing). This has been the one thing propping up the market for the last several years. Look for the markets to tank in the not to distant future. I am getting my short positions on.

Of course this is only my humble opinion.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:00 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by Nilsson
The Fed announced yesterday a possible end to QE (quantitative easing) which amounts to no more free money. Wall street has been loving the free money (via printing). This has been the one thing propping up the market for the last several years. Look for the markets to tank in the not to distant future. I am getting my short positions on.

Of course this is only my humble opinion.
is the QE directly related to inerest rates...because the fed rate can't really can much lower can it?
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:02 AM

I had gotten out, and was starting to get back in slowly. I also heard what the other post said that the Fed was printing money each mounth, to prop up the market, to make things look better.But also ther is no where else to put money and make any, so I think that is another reason market is doing good right now. I put a lot of my money in guaranteed aninitys, as I'm retired, and can't take any more hits.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:40 AM

I agree with you Nilsson, I think it's just a matter of time before it all tanks.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 08:25 AM

invest in lead and brass!
Old February 21st, 2013 | 09:44 AM

Where is it going? Crystal ball is dark.

I will say this, though.

It feels EXACTLY like late 2008
High "stock market"
Absurdly high gas prices, so all one can afford to do is drive back n forth to work... provided you live near work...

Dumbasses on Fox News the other day were telling the audience about some GREAT DEALS on new vehicles... huge gas guzzlers. Which evidently the makers are having a hard time selling, duh.

"So, there are some ways you can SAVE MONEY" says the Faux dolts...

How is that SAVING money- maybe if you never drive it? Purchase price is only the beginning of automobile expenses...

Old February 21st, 2013 | 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Dumbasses on Fox News the other day were telling the audience about some GREAT DEALS on new vehicles... huge gas guzzlers. Which evidently the makers are having a hard time selling, duh.

"So, there are some ways you can SAVE MONEY" says the Faux dolts...

How is that SAVING money- maybe if you never drive it? Purchase price is only the beginning of automobile expenses...
Wow, a bit hysterical here, arent' we?

Those gas guzzlers are, what, mostly pickup trucks? Hardly out of the mainstream. They're the backbone of America, so regardless of their mileage, many people need them, and they'd probably appreciate knowing which ones are being discounted.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 10:24 AM
71 cutlass convertible

The bulls and bears have been replaced by a kangaroo.

If I had to bet it would be down.

Larry
Old February 21st, 2013 | 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Wow, a bit hysterical here, arent' we?

Those gas guzzlers are, what, mostly pickup trucks? Hardly out of the mainstream. They're the backbone of America, so regardless of their mileage, many people need them, and they'd probably appreciate knowing which ones are being discounted.

I heard just yesterday that pick ups are the largest selling segment right now. Trucks are to 2013 what Suv's were to the mid early 2000's. Most trucks I see driving around are nice and shiny with nothing in the bed. I can say it, Americans are really stupid in this way. I think it safe to say most trucks sold never get used as intended.

Last edited by Nilsson; February 21st, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 10:30 AM
Old School Olds

Now this is going to be an interesting thread. .
Old February 21st, 2013 | 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
invest in lead and brass!
I know the price is way up in the finished product of these two.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 01:29 PM
morgan

I'm surprised walmart hasn't worked out a deal to sell chinese pick up trucks...actually as much as dislike walmart if we didn't have walmarts everywhere inflation would be a lot higher
Old February 21st, 2013 | 01:34 PM

Everybody picks on Walmart. Everybody says they don't go there. But at any given instant, the Walmarts around me have more cars in their parking lots than any other store.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 02:33 PM

Question Your guess may be as good as mine

My crystal ball is also fogged over completely.
Some indicators are still favorable; some are questionable.
Europe is still struggling.
Our long term situation is sad with the national debt at $16+T, and no serious plan to reduce it or even halt the increase has been adopted. The Chinese no longer want to buy any more of it. Those in our national government who want to get re-elected refuse to propose the measures needed, so they continue enjoying the excesses and pass the growing problem to the next generation. The longer they procrastinate, the harder it will be to fix. If you'd like to hear the opinion of a retired accountant from IBM, try: http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EW5IdwltaAc?rel=0
I have started moving some high risk investments to a more defensible position. Proceed with caution and be careful who you vote for!
Old February 21st, 2013 | 03:07 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by Ozzie
My crystal ball is also fogged over completely.
Some indicators are still favorable; some are questionable.
Europe is still struggling.
Our long term situation is sad with the national debt at $16+T, and no serious plan to reduce it or even halt the increase has been adopted. The Chinese no longer want to buy any more of it. Those in our national government who want to get re-elected refuse to propose the measures needed, so they continue enjoying the excesses and pass the growing problem to the next generation. The longer they procrastinate, the harder it will be to fix. If you'd like to hear the opinion of a retired accountant from IBM, try: http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EW5IdwltaAc?rel=0
I have started moving some high risk investments to a more defensible position. Proceed with caution and be careful who you vote for!
Greece spain italy...l am also concerned about japan,china is japan electronics out of business...you dont see made in japan much anymore
Old February 21st, 2013 | 05:55 PM
Senior Moment Member

My job is a broker on the floor of the CME. IMO be very careful. The last Fed minutes release stated they were thinking of ending the free money. I know there isn't anywhere to hide but if you are long this thing you are going to get your face ripped off. Karl denninger is a very good read at the market-ticker.org . Read him daily. It may save you a boatload of money. This post is about the Fed. Read it. Nilsson, you are dead on.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=217761

Last edited by z11375ss; February 21st, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 06:14 PM

I don't look good.. I agree with kitfoxdave.. Lead & Brass
Old February 21st, 2013 | 06:44 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by z11375ss
My job is a broker on the floor of the CME. IMO be very careful. The last Fed minutes release stated they were thinking of ending the free money. I know there isn't anywhere to hide but if you are long this thing you are going to get your face ripped off. Karl denninger is a very good read at the market-ticker.org . Read him daily. It may save you a boatload of money. This post is about the Fed. Read it. Nilsson, you are dead on.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=217761

Interesting read. It goes along with a phrase I coined a few years ago. "Accelerated Buying Cycle." The point is that any near term demand that is created by easy conditions, will in the long run create a void because the demand that normally would be in the future has already been used up.

Prime example the housing market, and the auto industry. Housing Market- At one time Americans averaged 2 to 3 homes owned in a lifetime. In the late 90's, the plan was to buy a house and pay interest for a few years sell it, buy bigger house on interest. many home owners were switiching houses every couple of years. Autos, same way when the auto market slowed, large rebates low or 0% interest, what used to be a individual buying a new car every four to five years, increased to new car every other year.Now we are living through that void.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:02 PM
Senior Moment Member

Yes indeed. Demand was pulled forward. It's like racking up a credit card and getting another and another and another. We can't live this way personally, why do we expect it to work as a nation? Your car looks familiar.

Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:13 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Yes indeed. Demand was pulled forward. It's like racking up a credit card and getting another and another and another. We can't live this way personally, why do we expect it to work as a nation? Your car looks familiar.

I do not know why we continue to live this way. I quess it is because the goverment tells us it is ok, and everything is true from the goverment, right? It's just like the internet. They can't say it if it isn't true.

I guess it does look familiar. Mine doen't shine as well as yours, though. Is yours burnish gold?
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
I don't look good
Post a photo of yourself and let us decide.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:26 PM
Senior Moment Member

I owned that car in the nineties. Don't know what color it was other than it was a Chrysler color showed to me by the painter. Loved it. Put it on, I told him. The car was weird. It was an original W-30 car with a bucket seat/column shift. By the time I got it it had a station wagon 455 in it. I sold the red fenderwells to help pay for the resto. $500.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:34 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I owned that car in the nineties. Don't know what color it was other than it was a Chrysler color showed to me by the painter. Loved it. Put it on, I told him. The car was weird. It was an original W-30 car with a bucket seat/column shift. By the time I got it it had a station wagon 455 in it. I sold the red fenderwells to help pay for the resto. $500.
Mine is not the original color, from what I can tell it has been painted twice. That would have been a pretty unique combination. However, I like the 68 as well.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:57 PM
Senior Moment Member

That one is a scalded dog. I have a TKO 600 that arrived today going in it.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 07:58 PM
MOTORHEAD

Yo Lucky Dog
Old February 21st, 2013 | 08:02 PM
70 Cutlass SX

The market will probably go down at this point 10-20%, then go back up again at some point. No I am not trying to be silly.
There are two things that have never, ever, ever lost value. The first is British hand made shot-guns. I am talking about guns made by Purdey or Holland & Holland.
The second is the top line Aston Martin, Ferrari, and Lamborghini cars.
Look at the history of these items - they have consistently outpaced inflation.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 08:04 PM

Nice video.. I'm going to post a video of the 69 442 this spring. I wish my best friend my Buster (Boston Terrier) was still around, he would have enjoyed the ride. He always enjoyed riding in my truck. I have to put him down last October has was 13 years old.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 08:12 PM
Senior Moment Member

You should see the look on his face when I take the Olds out and he can't go with! I take him to all the local car shows without a leash. He is so good. Walks under your hand for a pet. Loves the wind, etc. Sorry for your loss, they are heartbreakers.
Old February 21st, 2013 | 08:23 PM
MOTORHEAD

Yes Maam Sir
It is going to the dogs

The sky really is falling YOu no
Old February 21st, 2013 | 09:59 PM
Senior Moment Member

One more thing. The japs are devaluing the Yen. It's a race to the bottom. This will not end well.
Old February 22nd, 2013 | 05:54 PM
Just the facts...

One more thing. The japs are devaluing the Yen. It's a race to the bottom. This will not end well.
1. fiat currencies always revert to their intrinsic value(0).
2. the fed has been trying to reflate the housing bubble by buying $80 billion/month of bad home mortgages.
3. the fed has desperately been trying to create inflation-to no avail. inflation is required for our system to grow-without inflation, we're stagnant like japan.

obombacare might kindle some inflation, we'll see.
i've been invested in certain commodities since 2004, with a return so far of ~400% i don't do paper assets.

bill
Old February 22nd, 2013 | 06:48 PM

I don't see how the stock market can go up as bad as the economy is. We have high unemployment and out of control spending. There has been 6 trillion dollars added to the national debt in the last 5 years alone and it is only getting worse.
Old February 22nd, 2013 | 09:05 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

The Fed's are printing $85,000,000,000 each month of paper money... it's propping up the market. Those evil bankers and 1%'s are loving it... but it won't last.
Old February 22nd, 2013 | 09:20 PM
Senior Moment Member

Another Market Ticker on the Fed's follies! Mr. Demmer, anyone in commodities is absolutely killing it! Glad you have been investing wisely. I am partial to metals taking a third off the table last year. Stocks are going to be a printing press for me pretty soon. I love being long puts!

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=217856