General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any experience with Classic Exhaust Inc?

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2017, 01:04 PM
delete

Any experience with Classic Exhaust Inc?

Has anyone used these guys?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyn...61a&ukey=FFGIG
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:31 PM

No problems, would recommend!
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM

My experience with him was all positive. He also sells on e-Bay under sat1966...and, if I recall, works off original exhaust "bend cards" that most exhaust shops once utilized back in the day.
Old April 13th, 2017, 03:54 PM

What is the diameter?
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Scott at Classic Exhaust made up a set of duals for me, and they fit and function well, and are made of thick tubing.

They required the usual amount of fiddling to install, but were bent correctly for the car.

His price was good, and I was surprised at how quickly it arrived (though he may just have been having a fast day that day).

His "quiet" mufflers were louder than I'd have preferred, but a set of resonators calmed it to a low rumble.

- Eric
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM

One needs a low rumble when driving a pink car... Just saying... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Gary

I have used them twice. The first time was on my 72 and the right exhaust pipe was incorrect. I called Scott up and they sent me a different one that was correct. Now six years later on my 68 a complete different story. I called him up and told him the left side exhaust pipe had the wrong angles. He asked that I send him pictures and I did. He told me he was going to take care of it,but I never heard back from him. I ended up filing a claim with my Credit Card company and they sent him an inquiry as well and he did not respond to them. They reimbursed my money. I was very surprise at that whole transaction because I have had very good success with him before.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:00 AM

You may want to consider using Waldron's Exhaust out of Centerville, Michigan. See link below. On my '70 W-31 project they made a perfect fit using 2 1/4" heavy gauge tube. I can't speak to their mufflers yet as I've yet to push any hot air through them.

www.waldronexhaust.com

Old April 14th, 2017, 05:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That Waldron exhaust system looks just like the Classic Exhaust system, except the Classic Exhaust system was broken into a few more pieces for shipping -- How on earth did they ship that?

Also note at the top of Waldron's page:
"Due to a high volume of orders,
Waldron’s Exhaust currently has a lead time of 8 weeks"

I don't know how fast Classic Exhaust is now, but a couple of years ago, I called up Scott, talked to him, and had the exhaust system at my door about four days later.

Waldron's does look like they've got some hard to find or hard to make items, though.

- Eric
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:57 AM

Eric,

Yes, I too had to wait six weeks. Shipping was not an issue for me as Waldron's was only seventy-five miles away. It was interesting to see on my pipes hand stamped numbers on them indicating length and degree of bends. If you have questions of Waldron's ask to talk with Jon.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:04 AM

There was an old guy at Waldrons who was kinda snotty to me. He tried to tell me that the resonators used on my 66 Delta did not have an offset tail piece on the end and they ran straight out. I had my originals and nos ones to back me up and he dismissed it. He said that ws custom and he could make them. From that experience I always stay away from Waldrons.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by J.O.
Yes, I too had to wait six weeks. Shipping was not an issue for me as Waldron's was only seventy-five miles away.
I am in no way trying to say anything bad about Waldron's - their work looks fantastic - so please nobody misinterpret me...

Since you are so close, I am presuming that you mean that you picked the pipes up at the shop, rather than having them shipped. I'd have done the same thing.

I wonder whether anyone farther away could comment on how Waldron's ships their systems - I would suspect that they cut them into a few more pieces for shipping, as Classic Exhaust does, but if they ship them whole, that could be a detail that sways somebody's decision one way or the other.

If I had known about Waldron's when I bought my exhaust, I would have compared the two shops carefully before buying, but I don't know which one I would have chosen.

I'll try to find a photo I have of the Classic Exhaust system before I installed it, so that people can compare.

- Eric

edit: Interesting, Joe. I always try to avoid doing business with people with a bad attitude, or experts who know less than I do.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I recently bought a complete dual system for my 54 from Waldron's. It has power steering and has some close fitting pipes on the left side around the steering box. I did not use their mufflers. The pipes fit perfectly. The left pipe coming off the manifold even had a dent in it that it needed. The guy at the muffler shop was amazed how well they fit. They gave me the option of cutting the tailpipes to save on shipping. They fix the pipes where they but them where one fits in the other and they include clamps to put them back together. Mine was not a system they have on the shelf and it took about 3 weeks to get them. The $80 I saved on the mufflers paid for my shipping. I am a very satisfied Waldron customer. Nice folks too.

Last edited by redoldsman; April 14th, 2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I've used Classic Exhaust on couple of my Chevy's, top notch product and customer service.
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:02 AM

Ron you might want to look into gardnerexhaust.com they are in Redhook, Dutchess County, NY and come highly recommended. I haven't use them as of yet but have met others who have.
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:27 AM
delete

Originally Posted by zeeke
Ron you might want to look into gardnerexhaust.com they are in Redhook, Dutchess County, NY and come highly recommended. I haven't use them as of yet but have met others who have.
I called them. I know them by reputation and they are supposed to be excellent but def not running a charity over there. You can be all in $1K easily. I want to explore some lower cost alternatives.

Red Hook Brooklyn would be easier for me
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
I called them. I know them by reputation and they are supposed to be excellent but def not running a charity over there. You can be all in $1K easily. I want to explore some lower cost alternatives.

Damn you Barrett Jackson!

Everyone thinks they have gold now due to all these auctions and car shows on TV. I guess you've gotta take the good with the bad.
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Slightly different story for me with Classic. Placed the order and he billed my CC immediately. 20 days later nothing. Sent email inquiry. Nothing. Called and told him if he didn't have shipping info to me pronto I was going to have to open a dispute with my CC company. Shipped a few days later.
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:12 PM
delete

I looked at the Inline Tube set up. What I like about the Gardener & Inline tube systems is the one stop shopping. Everything ships together & you are good to go. With the Parts Place or Classic Exhaust you still have a lot to buy. Have to weigh my options. I still have time. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:19 PM

This brings another bad experience to mind with Waldrons. For my 59 the rt side manifold pipe needs to go thru a hole in the frame. It would not fit so I called them. Guy said it is not unusual to have to put a rosebud torch head to it and bend it to the proper shape for fit.... hmmm just what everyone has in their garage right!?
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What I like about the Gardener & Inline tube systems is the one stop shopping. Everything ships together & you are good to go. With the Parts Place or Classic Exhaust you still have a lot to buy.
I'm enjoying this thread, because it shows the wide variety of experiences that different people can have with the same vendors, and it's not anger- or insanity-driven, like some review sites.

I will note here that my system from Classic Exhaust shipped all in one box, including pipes, mufflers, and clamps. It was just what I ordered, with nothing else to buy. It did not have hangers, but I didn't expect it to, and I don't know whether anyone sells the special hangers for that model.

I decided later to buy a pair of resonators on eBay, but that was my own decision.

- Eric
Old April 17th, 2017, 03:58 AM

I was going to do headers on my '68 but the original manifolds were in such nice shape I decided to just keep them. I wanted still wanted something that flowed a little better so I went with Inlines' pipes. They offered both the stock size 2" tailpipes & o/s 2 1/4" tailpipes that I went with. The front pipes fit perfectly & so did the tailpipes but they were a tight fit. The shipping was quick. I didn't go with stock mufflers, I went with Thrush "turbo" mufflers because their add said they were the "new version" of their old Hush-Thrush mufflers. I had them on my 1st '68 & I liked the sound.
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:02 PM

I have recently used both Gardner (2015 on a 70 W30) and Waldron's (2016 on a 71 Supreme 350 4 spd) The Gardner system literally fell into place - everything fit perfectly and looked great, while the Waldron system needed final adjusting at a muffler shop due to the LH exhaust pipe being too long. Everything on the Gardner system looked perfect, the Waldron was acceptable (plating, finish on the tubing). For the price, Waldron's is more than adequate, but if you are going concours, Gardner is the only way to go.
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:27 AM

I talked to Classic Exhaust on the phone. I told him I needed a crossover pipe for a 1967 Delmont 330 with the correct small block manifolds. BTW, factory big block will not fit on the small block engines. He gave me good price and the next day I drove 45 miles and picked it up. I had the engine on a stand so fitting it was easier. It was a bit off but I got it on and tightened up.I did a little stress relieving with the torch, fit was prefect.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 05:08 PM

i was told 2-3 months wait time for a 69 olds.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by fourfortyduece
i was told 2-3 months wait time for a 69 olds.
This thread is 5+ years old.
Old July 27th, 2023, 10:42 AM

I know this is an older thread and I just talked to Gardner for a good twenty minutes or so a couple of weeks ago and the son of the original owner a real nice guy too, yea your in about a grand but you got their reputation to go with it too. I seen that Sat1966 on ebay his stuff at least SS is a grand too without the shipping, looks like everyone else's exact exhaust systems, I don't know what people are seeing in the difference and looks like they all use the same pictures too. I was just on their classic exhaust site and says 300 something for a system why so much more on ebay then? I always try to go with original even if it takes longer and costs more.
Old July 27th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Damn you Barrett Jackson!

Everyone thinks they have gold now due to all these auctions and car shows on TV. I guess you've gotta take the good with the bad.
Like the old saying goes you can't polish a turd! Just wait until those go up in price too thanks to the auction houses.
Old July 27th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
This brings another bad experience to mind with Waldrons. For my 59 the rt side manifold pipe needs to go thru a hole in the frame. It would not fit so I called them. Guy said it is not unusual to have to put a rosebud torch head to it and bend it to the proper shape for fit.... hmmm just what everyone has in their garage right!?
I bet I know where you would of liked to tell him he could stick that torch.